Manflu

sage

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I wonder if there's any statistical correlation between men visiting their GPs and international breaks from the footie?

That is not suggesting that all footie fans are male

Or all males are footie fans. Though if they aren't there is something wrong with em. ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I don’t get it?? I don’t get flu. I have a runny nose and that’s about as bad as it gets. When that swine flu was about I was looking forward to a week off work. Guess what?? I didn’t get it. 

The trick is don’t go to the doctors. They are the worst places to pick stuff up.

Just take the week off work and claim you've had it.

Just don't go back with a tan, unless you're claiming jaundice.

6 hours ago, angieram said:

This is now strongly discouraged by our overstretched NHS. Stay at home, keep warm, drink plenty of fluids, go to a pharmacist if you must but DO NOT GO to your GP!!!

Mine is now taking "bookings" into January! The temptation is to reserve an appointment just in case I'm ill by then.

Seriously, you should look after your health, but most of it is about knowing what is 'normal' for you, and whether things have deteriorated enough to make that call.

I've only had 'flu' once - at the Millennium. Went to the GP about two days before Christmas to be told it was just flu and to go home and rest. After spending three delirious days with no memory of Christmas that year I ended up at the local A&E to be told by the duty doctor that I shouldn't have let it get so bad and that I should have gone to the GP before the Big Shutdown. When I told him I had been and who I'd seen, he just said, "oh, that explains it!"(They were from the same practice.) He gave me the antibiotics I needed and I spent a further two weeks in bed missing all of the Millennium celebrations too.

I've had a strong dislike for Prince ever since!

You didn’t miss much.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Just take the week off work and claim you've had it.

Just don't go back with a tan, unless you're claiming jaundice.

Yeah may be in the summer when the weather is better and you can do something. I can’t think of owt worse than sat at home in winter with the heating on.

On 14/11/2018 at 10:31, Ramshankered said:

The secret is flu jabs.

Not only will they stop you getting flu – if you go out drinking a few hours after your jab it will make you extra sloshed (or it did for me!). 

Was all fun and games until I got home and threw up over myself.  

Not really selling it there bud ?

On 14/11/2018 at 13:25, therealhantsram said:

In my view this is an utterly sexist term used to infer women are more resilient and stoic in the face of illness than men. It's total nonsense and only serves to pressurize men to further fail to properly look after their own health. Heaven knows we're bad enough at that already without additional societal pressure.

If you're ill, go see a doctor. Get the time off work and look after your health properly. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for looking after yourself.  Your own health is the #1 most important thing to look after in your life. 

Never even considered it this way before but actually your argument does kind of make sense! The GF always scolds me for doctor dodging. I've got to have bits falling off before I'll go!

22 hours ago, Norman said:

Not had a runny nose for about 2 years now. Think it's cos I work outside all year.

Makes sense. Heated environments, especially these with aircon are breeding grounds for these viruses. I fly a lot and almost always pick up something each time I do.

21 hours ago, Gritters said:

I don’t get it?? I don’t get flu. I have a runny nose and that’s about as bad as it gets. When that swine flu was about I was looking forward to a week off work. Guess what?? I didn’t get it. 

The trick is don’t go to the doctors. They are the worst places to pick stuff up.

Ha! Getting proper flu is no joke. Only had it once and it laid me out for 4 days ?

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

REGO, the Renewable Energy Gaurantees of Origin scheme. 

https://purepla.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

REGO, the Renewable Energy Gaurantees of Origin scheme. 

https://purepla.net/

net/

That’s nice, but can you explain how they send renewable energy only to your house while I only get a mixture of green and the dirty stuff?

Maybe I get some of yours by accident?

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

can you explain how they send renewable energy only to your house while I only get a mixture of green and the dirty stuff?

From the link:

The Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGO) scheme provides transparency to consumers about the proportion of electricity that suppliers source from renewable generation. One REGO certificate is issued per megawatt hour (MWh) of eligible renewable output. All our electricity has REGO certification, so you can be confident that all the power we purchase on your behalf is renewably sourced.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

That’s nice, but can you explain how they send renewable energy only to your house while I only get a mixture of green and the dirty stuff?

Maybe I get some of yours by accident?

Its easy for @Lambchop to go green. She doesn't need central heating because everytime she talks its all hot air. ? Only joking ms Lambchop.

14 hours ago, Lambchop said:

From the link:

The Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGO) scheme provides transparency to consumers about the proportion of electricity that suppliers source from renewable generation. One REGO certificate is issued per megawatt hour (MWh) of eligible renewable output. All our electricity has REGO certification, so you can be confident that all the power we purchase on your behalf is renewably sourced.

Doesn't that refer to the output by the company, rather than what you actually receive? All the electricity companies contributing to The National Grid (based on how much we 'buy' off each company), and 'The Grid' then distributing the dirty mix to us.

Archived