Manflu

sage

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sage said:

Who has got the worst man flu and deserves sympathy from our female posters?

Mine started last night and now I have toothache and sinusitis. Boooo

You've just come back from abroad haven't you? 

Were you scratched by a cat by any chance?

11 hours ago, sage said:

Who has got the worst man flu and deserves sympathy from our female posters?

Mine started last night and now I have toothache and sinusitis. Boooo

It’s not man flu,it’s just full on flu or a severe virus.

There is no sympathy,a mans illness is just a piss take.

Few years back I had man flu ( according to her indoors). Wife went out with usual lack of sympathy. I got worse, got through to the surgery, Doc actually came out, got a 999 ambulance. 2 hours later I'm on so many drips it was downright scary. Double pneumonia, in hospital a week, lost a stone, off work 2 months. doc said another hour delay and I wouldn't have made it. Gulp

Get my jabs every year now.

56 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Few years back I had man flu ( according to her indoors). Wife went out with usual lack of sympathy. I got worse, got through to the surgery, Doc actually came out, got a 999 ambulance. 2 hours later I'm on so many drips it was downright scary. Double pneumonia, in hospital a week, lost a stone, off work 2 months. doc said another hour delay and I wouldn't have made it. Gulp

Man up fgs! ?

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Result !

In my view this is an utterly sexist term used to infer women are more resilient and stoic in the face of illness than men. It's total nonsense and only serves to pressurize men to further fail to properly look after their own health. Heaven knows we're bad enough at that already without additional societal pressure.

If you're ill, go see a doctor. Get the time off work and look after your health properly. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for looking after yourself.  Your own health is the #1 most important thing to look after in your life. 

26 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

In my view this is an utterly sexist term used to infer women are more resilient and stoic in the face of illness than men. It's total nonsense and only serves to pressurize men to further fail to properly look after their own health. Heaven knows we're bad enough at that already without additional societal pressure.

Memorised. Mrs Parsnip is having that word for word next time I'm in bed with the sniffles.

35 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

If you're ill, go see a doctor.

This is now strongly discouraged by our overstretched NHS. Stay at home, keep warm, drink plenty of fluids, go to a pharmacist if you must but DO NOT GO to your GP!!!

Mine is now taking "bookings" into January! The temptation is to reserve an appointment just in case I'm ill by then.

Seriously, you should look after your health, but most of it is about knowing what is 'normal' for you, and whether things have deteriorated enough to make that call.

I've only had 'flu' once - at the Millennium. Went to the GP about two days before Christmas to be told it was just flu and to go home and rest. After spending three delirious days with no memory of Christmas that year I ended up at the local A&E to be told by the duty doctor that I shouldn't have let it get so bad and that I should have gone to the GP before the Big Shutdown. When I told him I had been and who I'd seen, he just said, "oh, that explains it!"(They were from the same practice.) He gave me the antibiotics I needed and I spent a further two weeks in bed missing all of the Millennium celebrations too.

I've had a strong dislike for Prince ever since!

2 hours ago, angieram said:

This is now strongly discouraged by our overstretched NHS. Stay at home, keep warm, drink plenty of fluids, go to a pharmacist if you must but DO NOT GO to your GP!!!

Mine is now taking "bookings" into January! The temptation is to reserve an appointment just in case I'm ill by then.

Seriously, you should look after your health, but most of it is about knowing what is 'normal' for you, and whether things have deteriorated enough to make that call.

I've only had 'flu' once - at the Millennium. Went to the GP about two days before Christmas to be told it was just flu and to go home and rest. After spending three delirious days with no memory of Christmas that year I ended up at the local A&E to be told by the duty doctor that I shouldn't have let it get so bad and that I should have gone to the GP before the Big Shutdown. When I told him I had been and who I'd seen, he just said, "oh, that explains it!"(They were from the same practice.) He gave me the antibiotics I needed and I spent a further two weeks in bed missing all of the Millennium celebrations too.

I've had a strong dislike for Prince ever since!

Its getting a balance isn't it. The problem is too many people go to the GP's with things they really do not need to see the GP about. A heavy cold (which a lot of people think is flu) is not going to get better going to the GP, all that happens is it spreads it to other people.

Add in the number of people who fail to keep appointments and it puts a huge strain on the system.

A friend of my dads is a nightmare for going to the GP, hes up there all the time. Has to have blood tests regularly, he is told to ring for results, which he does but every time he is told all is ok he demands a GP appointment just to discuss the results anyway.

His GP should stand his ground but I dare bet they think its easier just to let him have the appointment than argue.

You do need to look after yourself as you say. I was nearly my own victim of this a few years ago when I started suddenly feeling out of breath all the time, I thought 'must be a bug' so didnt go, 2 weeks later on the insistence of family I go, they do a blood test, next day im in Hospital having a blood transfusion as im that anaemic im told im lucky not be in a more serious condition.

Archived