Christmas presents.

Rev

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/11/2018 at 12:19, Bigfella said:

My wife has lots of stuff so it’s really difficult to buy her Christmas presents so for clues I searched her browser history and I’ve bought her this - hope she likes it! ?

6F0C5EF2-6B25-4D52-9982-11C7D36E5854.jpeg

Do you know if she planned to keep it as a pet or eat it? If the latter what sort of stuffing would she want with it?

On 14/11/2018 at 21:15, Gritters said:

I’ve just got the presents my sister and husband gave me last year out from under the bed ready to wrap up and send them back to them this year. 

Bloody skinflints deserve everything they get.

i'll be putting £20 notes in Christmas cards at 2am on Christmas morning as per, for younger relatives.

Then in return will get a raft of the '3 for 2' Boots smellies gift sets and primark socks.

Poor return.

They might all be under ten but they do have 364 days to save up to get me something decent.

On 14/11/2018 at 09:09, Mucker1884 said:

I hated trying to work out whether Blue Stratos smelled nicer than Brut.  I hated trying to find a cardigan in just the right shade of beige.  "Ladies electricals" are so good now, they don't need replacing each year.  The whole family needs to step away from chocolates/candied fruits/peaches in cherry brandy!  I hated the fact that I couldn't find anything for less than £30 that didn't come across as cheapskate or chavvy!

... so a good 10/12 years or so ago, as the wider family (our own adult kids, my sisters, adult niece & partner etc) were gathered anyway, I "called a meeting"...

Upshot was, none of us now buy prezzies for over-18's.  Everyone was in full agreement... and were somewhat mightily relieved that someone (me!) had the guts to speak up! None of us get stressed trying to come up with something original/exciting/Not Chavvy, and all of us get to Xmas feeling relaxed.  Between me & Muckerette, we constantly "treat each other" throughout the year, (sometimes for no other reason than we love each other!) so the same applies at Xmas as it does with the wider family. 

This may come across as being tight, to some.  Maybe even a big jar of bah humbug mints to others... but it works for us, and none of us think any less of each other, for it!  

I was that person this year. 

I actually suggested we just give each other vouchers for things like ‘I will retire your bathroom for you at some point.’ But that then evolved. We normally all meet up for a panto or something each year. So now what we’ll do, instead of buying each other gifts, is all stick £150 in a pot, and with it buy a really nice day, or days, out for the whole family to get together. 

So now my sister’s booked a day of skittles in a pub in Leicestershire, and we’re inviting all the cousins and everyone. 

At the end of the day, we realised everyone making the effort to get together on Boxing Day was always our favourite part of Christmas. Not the tat we ended up buying each other. 

Of course, kids are still the exception. But it’s only my kids that are under 18 now.

Me and the wife are still buying for each other though. It’s the one time of year I get to pretend to be thoughtful. She tells me what she wants, and I buy it. This year she wants a dyson hairdryer. Hoping there’s some Black Friday deals on for them, cos they ain’t cheap. But it’s not a bad deal for saying it’s literally the only hit of Christmas shopping o have to worry about. 

I also bought a make up advent calendar, which I might just rip apart and use as stocking fillers. 

Apparently I make her laugh. I can’t really think of anything I want. Except, it might be nice to have a new Derby shirt, oh, and a voucher for a tattoo would be cool, and I could do with a new shaver etc. etc. Im the man who has everything he could possibly desire, the love of a beautiful woman, a roof over my head, gorgeous well behaved kids. But if you push me, I can probably think of a few things that would make life better. And they always seem to be dead expensive. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I actually suggested we just give each other vouchers for things like ‘I will retire your bathroom for you at some point.’ But that then evolved. We normally all meet up for a panto or something each year. So now what we’ll do, instead of buying each other gifts, is all stick £150 in a pot, and with it buy a really nice day, or days, out for the whole family to get together. 

So now my sister’s booked a day of skittles in a pub in Leicestershire, and we’re inviting all the cousins and everyone. 

At the end of the day, we realised everyone making the effort to get together on Boxing Day was always our favourite part of Christmas. Not the tat we ended up buying each other. 

Of course, kids are still the exception. But it’s only my kids that are under 18 now.

I gave you a like for the sentiment, which is lovely. 

Woe betide the family caller this year though, I'll be in my pants and Xmas Jumper stuffing pigs and blankets and the whole boxing day fuddle down my neck while watching 'Frank Lampard's Derby County' taking the Blades apart!

On 19/11/2018 at 13:06, Parsnip said:

I can guess what's in your cupboard @David...

Screenshot_20181119-130413_Google.thumb.jpg.a8dcdc0217ac27ba2957e265482cb38a.jpg

#dontbelikedavid

All the talk on here recently about the homeless made me wonder "is it really worth it", shouldn't I put the money to better use?

After a good long think, I realised if I bought the machine I wouldn't have to sidestep rough sleepers to get to Costa, so in the trolley it went.

22 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Sounds like a plan.

skitttles.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived