Christmas presents.

Rev

Seeing as we have a thread for Christmas dinner, what have you seen that are you hoping Santa pops under the tree for you this year?

Is Black Friday/Cyber Monday a gimmick, or can you find real bargains?

I'm useless at knowing what I want, which in turn pisses the wife off, who retaliates by pretending she doesn't know what she wants!

As a result, we now have more stock of Molten Brown than a spa, and I have a PS4 proudly on display under the bedroom TV still in it's box.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some bargains on black Friday if you know what you want and start checking out for prices before hand. Am after an LG oled tv which was £1999.00 a couple of weeks ago and expecting to get for £1550.oo, also after the hive heating pack with bulbs sensor and socket which with the new 360 hub would be normally £400 ish fitted, hoping to get for £250 ish. Wife after a new washing machine and a couple of models she is interested in will be £100 cheaper.Sky are  offering a 43inch LG 4k tv on some of their packages worth approx £400.

Generally, electronics,computers lap tops ,phones ect can be picked up at discounted prices, just be sure your buying what you really want. Some tv's ect which are heavily discounted are often older models so do your research be specific in the model you want ,check out prices on the net. Pricespy  website will give the price history of specific models, so you know if your getting a good deal.Just remember it's not really a bargain if you don't need it.?

As for chrimbo by the time the 5 kids, 9 grand kids both sets of parents and the wife's stopped spending a bloody fortune feeding the birds and squirrels I'll be lucky to have money to fill the car up.So a quiet one for me two weeks off a couple of bottles of nice port some cheese ,phone off Tele on and ba humbug.

New guitar, sorted. Otherwise, always get a nice bottle of whisky and/or rum at Christmas. Going away for another week at Robin Hood's Bay just before. Few CDs and books, maybe. New phone at some point, but probably not just yet. 

Don't do the whole Christmas shopping buying balls malarkey, and never have. 

I used to love christmas when i was a kid, surrounded by loving parents, aunts and uncles. But now......most of those people have died and relationships with certain close family relations have dipped since they revealed themselves to be manipulative money grabbing bastrds. End up having to attend family events i would rather avoid and still buy them nice presents. I must be bloody crackers.  

10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Seeing as we have a thread for Christmas dinner, what have you seen that are you hoping Santa pops under the tree for you this year?

Is Black Friday/Cyber Monday a gimmick, or can you find real bargains?

I'm useless at knowing what I want, which in turn pisses the wife off, who retaliates by pretending she doesn't know what she wants!

As a result, we now have more stock of Molten Brown than a spa, and I have a PS4 proudly on display under the bedroom TV still in it's box.

Black Friday is a American thing that is in its infancy here.

I have to say that this is one department where the Americans beat us hands down.

Having been in the USA on black Friday, several times, the bargains are genuine and not just the rubbish that can't be sold or not a good seller.

For instance, one year just as the Ipods/Ipads were all the rage and before the UK had started to sell them.

I picked up 2 at less than half price.

They only tend to have the sale for one day or sometimes for four days over the thanksgiving weekend and not for almost 2 weeks like we do

We've set a limit of £100 on each other this year. Until now Mrs Woflie in particular has gone over the top for me, usually getting me random men's gift sets of stuff I don't use. I've still got an unopened beard care set from last year.

There really isn't much I want this year, other than a new aftershave. There's normally a gadget that I'd like (last year was a garmin activity tracker) but I can't even come up with one of them for this time.

It's been an expensive year, with some work done on the house and an unplanned trip to USA for Mrs and Miss in the summer to see sick family, so I'm more sensitive to wasting money this time round.

I hated trying to work out whether Blue Stratos smelled nicer than Brut.  I hated trying to find a cardigan in just the right shade of beige.  "Ladies electricals" are so good now, they don't need replacing each year.  The whole family needs to step away from chocolates/candied fruits/peaches in cherry brandy!  I hated the fact that I couldn't find anything for less than £30 that didn't come across as cheapskate or chavvy!

... so a good 10/12 years or so ago, as the wider family (our own adult kids, my sisters, adult niece & partner etc) were gathered anyway, I "called a meeting"...

Upshot was, none of us now buy prezzies for over-18's.  Everyone was in full agreement... and were somewhat mightily relieved that someone (me!) had the guts to speak up! None of us get stressed trying to come up with something original/exciting/Not Chavvy, and all of us get to Xmas feeling relaxed.  Between me & Muckerette, we constantly "treat each other" throughout the year, (sometimes for no other reason than we love each other!) so the same applies at Xmas as it does with the wider family. 

This may come across as being tight, to some.  Maybe even a big jar of bah humbug mints to others... but it works for us, and none of us think any less of each other, for it!  

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I hated trying to work out whether Blue Stratos smelled nicer than Brut.

I hated that every male you care into contact with for the first couple of months after Christmas stunk of Lynx Africa.

Drowning themselves in it which I can only assume was to get rid of it fast as possible. 

If it wasn’t for Christmas, Turkey and Lynx Africa wouldn’t be a thing.

13 hours ago, David said:

Nowt this year, agreed with the missus we won’t bother, spent a fair bit on the plastic this year doing the house up, pumping some money off that rather than buying each other socks and deodorant.

Did the same when we were young. Stopped buying each other presents and spent it on saving for the mortgage deposit and then doing the house up. No point in spending on something you don't really want. 

Kids came along and we decided to spend it on them then..

Now we have no mortgage, the house is in no need of anything and the kids have grown up and support themselves. 

And.... We still don't buy each other anything. ?

7 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I’ve just got the presents my sister and husband gave me last year out from under the bed ready to wrap up and send them back to them this year. 

Bloody skinflints deserve everything they get.

Can you beat this?

my sister in law gave my mrs a clutch bag for xmas on year. It looked cheap so i looked it up. It was actually from M+S

£2.

Archived