Jim Smith Recognition

deano180

42 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Of cause, but he got us up. So getting us promoted isn’t just enough.  Did we win any trophies?

I enjoyed it though.

I'd much rather recognise a manager who signed the likes of Biano, Eranio, Whanchope & Stimac and played expansive attacking football, than one that parked the bus and brought in Craig Fagen & Eddie "Ducking" Lewis.  Plus Jim was the type of guy that wouldn't get into an argument with himself in a phone box...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

My grandmother met him on a cruise at some point in the summer of 1998 or '99 and got his signature and a message to me. Apparently he was a really likable bloke and asked about me and my brother and how long we'd supported Derby.

He got us back into the top flight and took us through 5 seasons, most of which were in the top half which is an achievement. Derby (the city) is becoming a less and less unique place these days, there needs to be recognition to him somewhere as believe it or not Derby/Derbyshire does attracts around 40 million people a year. He is part of our footballing history.

Absolute credit to him for what he achieved but, he's not, in my opinion, a legend in football to same extent as the likes of Clough, Shankly and Ferguson. Would be nice to have him as a guest at a game but I'm not sure he justifies a statue or anything similar.

Also, I don't really see what the number of visitors to Derbyshire has to do with it or how less unique Derby may be becoming

Love TBE, but definitely falls under "Cult Hero" rather than club legend.

Similar to Stimac, Eranio, Wanchope of the same era. He's appreciated by the fans and I think that's what counts.

Super manager for us, top character but ultimately didn't win us anything so can't see him getting a statue or stand named after him.

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

We’ve recognised the managers who have actually won things.  

But, we have recognised a player from the JS era too. Igor’s eatery (is it even still there?)

Getting Derby into the top league isn’t an outstanding achievement in itself in my opinion, Billy Davies did it, I don’t see calls for him to be remembered by many folk. As a club like ours, we should be in the highest league in the country.

I think Arthur Cox’s team would have got into Europe if we were allowed into it, but no recognition there either.

But I agree, something should be done for Jim and Arthur to be honest.

I’m not biting on either point....no...I’m not going to do it....noooooo be strong....

10 hours ago, Curtains said:

Loved Jim Smith. 

Should have been recognized well before now. 

Did brilliant for DCFC. 

Yes absolutely. Jimmy did a great job. Taking Rams back to top flight, bringing in some world class players and competeting with the best. Unlikely to be repeated. 

Loved Jim Smith to bits, bought some excellent players to this club like Van Der Laan, Stimac, Poom, Chris Powell, Earino, Bianno, Wanchope, and many others, loved the way we played, beating all the top teams at the time, a great time to be a ram,also agree about Arthur Cox, that was my favourite time as a ram. My favourite all time rams team. With , Mark Wright, Dean Saunders, Shilton, Hindmarch, George Williams, Mcminn,Goddard, Micklewhite, Callaghan, Gregory, that team was class, followed the Rams all over the country in those days, happy, happy times, which I hope will return shortly. Once a Ram always a Ram.

7 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I'd much rather recognise a manager who signed the likes of Biano, Eranio, Whanchope & Stimac and played expansive attacking football, than one that parked the bus and brought in Craig Fagen & Eddie "Ducking" Lewis.  Plus Jim was the type of guy that wouldn't get into an argument with himself in a phone box...

Darren Currie was a bit special though 

6 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

We should thank Jim, they were very good times. I was in my late teens early 20s and couldn't have had it any better. 

Smith Smith Jimmy Jimmy Smith

He's got no hair but we don't care 

Jimmy Jimmy Smith 

?

One of the greatest songs of all time.....??

On 13/11/2018 at 10:39, cj9a408 said:

I recently read Jim Smiths autobiography whilst on holiday.  A fascinating read if anyone has the time.

Makes you realise his passion for the club and his admiration for the players he bought on a shoe string who helped him achieve what he did.

Yes, very good read. A real football man. 

I loved the Jim Smith era. He found players for us that others wouldn't have and his time was very positive, at least for me. I'll always cherish Jim Smith and I would like to see some kind of acknowledgement towards him in his lifetime.

That doesn't mean that there ain't others deserving the acknnowlegment also.

17 minutes ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Tried to track him down last season, but had no joy. I think he now lives in Spain...

Yes he lives in Spain, when we met up with him he really was a funny guy, the red wine helped him remember a lot of stuff, when asked about Paulo Wanchope he looked very sternly and said “what a f******* c*** he was ! “ 

he did it the old school way and it worked.

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Yes he lives in Spain, when we met up with him he really was a funny guy, the red wine helped him remember a lot of stuff, when asked about Paulo Wanchope he looked very sternly and said “what a f******* c*** he was ! “ 

he did it the old school way and it worked.

Was that the male c*** or the female c***?

It's important we have the facts!  

15 hours ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Tried to track him down last season, but had no joy. I think he now lives in Spain...

Yes; lives in Spain. I understand his health is not too good these days. Brilliant guy; love the story about his team going to Old Trafford and Christie scoring to spoil the Man Ure title celebrations; but respect to Sir Alex Ferguson for presenting Jim with a £600 bottle of claret post-match which Jim duly opened and drank in Fergy’s office {with a Cuban} “ It would have been rude not too” he said dead-pan. ?

Archived