Jim Smith Recognition

deano180

I have no idea how Jim is keeping, or how his health is these days, in reality the guy is an old man.

But, in reality he's a modern day legend at Derby, and IMO is never given the recognition on his achievements when he joined the club in the summer of 95.

So what I'm getting at, or wanting to see happen is to see our club recognise his achievements whilst he's here for us to chant his name.

Please get this message to whoever make these things happen at Derby, pre match pitch walk on (bald eagles barmy army chant), HT walk on, anything would be amazing, maybe his health can't support something like this? 

Just hope his not another respect on death player or manager.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

image.jpeg.580c7b33c8823885398a83c84750faf8.jpeg

this is him. I'd recognise him anywhere.

Wonderful, we all recognise people, sadly the title says recognition.

I'm happy to get the posy removed, but on further thinking Arthur Cox is another we don't recognise for there achievements.

We’ve recognised the managers who have actually won things.  

But, we have recognised a player from the JS era too. Igor’s eatery (is it even still there?)

Getting Derby into the top league isn’t an outstanding achievement in itself in my opinion, Billy Davies did it, I don’t see calls for him to be remembered by many folk. As a club like ours, we should be in the highest league in the country.

I think Arthur Cox’s team would have got into Europe if we were allowed into it, but no recognition there either.

But I agree, something should be done for Jim and Arthur to be honest.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Getting Derby into the top league isn’t an outstanding achievement in itself in my opinion, Billy Davies did it, I don’t see calls for him to be remembered by many folk. As a club like ours, we should be in the highest league in the country.

Wouldn't bother me if we had a life-size statue of Billy outside Pride Park, recognise his achievements, something similar to this

5ff979be-f372-44a6-a8c4-f826a070e338_1.338c5d691a46507b05d4a6b4bb7c317d.jpeg

I recently read Jim Smiths autobiography whilst on holiday.  A fascinating read if anyone has the time.

Makes you realise his passion for the club and his admiration for the players he bought on a shoe string who helped him achieve what he did.

My grandmother met him on a cruise at some point in the summer of 1998 or '99 and got his signature and a message to me. Apparently he was a really likable bloke and asked about me and my brother and how long we'd supported Derby.

He got us back into the top flight and took us through 5 seasons, most of which were in the top half which is an achievement. Derby (the city) is becoming a less and less unique place these days, there needs to be recognition to him somewhere as believe it or not Derby/Derbyshire does attracts around 40 million people a year. He is part of our footballing history.

2 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

My grandmother met him on a cruise at some point in the summer of 1998 or '99 and got his signature and a message to me. Apparently he was a really likable bloke and asked about me and my brother and how long we'd supported Derby.

He got us back into the top flight and took us through 5 seasons, most of which were in the top half which is an achievement. Derby (the city) is becoming a less and less unique place these days, there needs to be recognition to him somewhere as believe it or not Derby/Derbyshire does attracts around 40 million people a year. He is part of our footballing history.

It can’t be called history yet, it all only happened 5 years ago. 

(NB: based on the fact that 1990 will always be only 10 years ago in my head). 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

How I wish we had these guys now. 

All down to Jim Smith  

90C18A2C-F398-4DFF-BBE5-2B00024F4EAA.jpeg

47D4E03B-E16F-489A-B585-5F2BE6E5B44A.jpeg

What a load of rot.

Do you think they’d even heard of Jim Smith?

It was the dollar the two Italians  came for at the end of their career.

Stimac didn’t even know which club his agent had agreed terms with!

Im glad Pickering paid the money though, great times.

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

We’ve recognised the managers who have actually won things.  

But, we have recognised a player from the JS era too. Igor’s eatery (is it even still there?)

I think Arthur Cox’s team would have got into Europe if we were allowed into it, but no recognition there either.

But I agree, something should be done for Jim and Arthur to be honest.

We all know why that is...

I think the original poster is talking about getting him recognised for the person he is rather than just what he achieved for DCFC. The Bald Eagle well and truly landed at Derby and there's not many more likeable managers that have walked through the door since. 

Billy wasnt and isnt and will never be liked by many at the club for a lot of reasons. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

It can’t be called history yet, it all only happened 5 years ago. 

(NB: based on the fact that 1990 will always be only 10 years ago in my head). 

Well I was only rolling around in my dungarees in that year! I vaguely remember the Promotion celebrations of 1996.

Brian Clough passed after we'd be relegated back to Division 1 but he has a statue. 

Archived