Christmas Dinner

David

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Based on what I've already seen from the quality of food in @David's kitchen...

Screenshot_20181112-214012_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d7dfcf78912c14740ce7807f883616ea.jpg

I'm guessing something like this will be on your table this Christmas...

Screenshot_20181112-214113_Chrome.thumb.jpg.06fc15589d984f3fe0945cad7cb3b978.jpg

Or maybe this...

Screenshot_20181112-214242_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb4072d2f3299c4e625499709a9939e2.jpg

Either way I'll stick to my dry tasteless bird thanks. (She cooks a mean turkey).

He’s done his research to be fair ?

Quick tip, remove the legs and wings from the turkey, and cook separate, otherwise get a turkey crown.

Gently peel back the skin from the back to the top of the breast, as far as you can without tearing, pack with butter, and I mean really pack, then fold the skin back over, securing with cocktail sticks as necessary.

A couple of bastes, but don't over do it, and you'll have the perfect Xmas dinner.

Don't bother with a bacon lattace either, it will only draw moisture from the meat.

55 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Quick tip, remove the legs and wings from the turkey, and cook separate, otherwise get a turkey crown.

Gently peel back the skin from the back to the top of the breast, as far as you can without tearing, pack with butter, and I mean really pack, then fold the skin back over, securing with cocktail sticks as necessary.

A couple of bastes, but don't over do it, and you'll have the perfect Xmas dinner.

Don't bother with a bacon lattace either, it will only draw moisture from the meat.

250g butter pat does the job.

Lovely moist turkey. Wash it down with a nice glass of Fernox to clear the old arteries ?

And bacon is purely for blanketing pigs - nowt else ?

3 hours ago, philmycock said:

Anyone else traditionally have mushy peas on their Xmas Dinner or is it just my strange family upbringing? ?

Yep another here too.

My missus serves up with the Turkey, plus usual explosive Brussels, kids somehow wangle baked beans on their plates. Add fizzy wine, rich stuffing and usual combo of carrots, parsnips, cabbage or cauliflower cheese, pigs in blankets, baked potatoes and washed down with Xmas pud and brandy sauce, with added lagers, ciders or any other alcohol in house. Probably missed something but I do the serving up and washing up (we’ll load and empty dishwasher).

Every year, her and mother in law complains about the after dinner shenanigans, needing gas masks but I ask you, who does the ruddy menu! Women eh. 

Had my first Christmas dinner over a week ago. The ladies' night one is at the end of November. Glad I'm not still teaching, the work one used to be insane. Three bottles of wine and pelting everyone with sprouts. 

No firm plans this year yet, except I'm in my own house and I'm going to get all my childhood decorations out; naff 70s paper chains and lanterns. 

May go up to the ex son in law's for the day, or might join the saddos in the pub. Or both. Not doing presents or cards.

Actually prefer Burn's night as a culinary thing. 

If you're fed up with Turkey I would thoroughly recommend trying a Capon.

Like a dinosaur chicken, succulent and tasty. 

I would imagine you'd have to go to the butcher's to get one and not a supermarket though.

Was hoping for Xmas in Derby but house we're buying is delayed so Worthing it is.

Only 5 of us this year (11 last time) but I'll be doing turkey & all the trimmings, plus my bloody gorgeous signature dish of dauphinoise potatoes (even if I do say so myself).

Also serving my homemade chicken liver pate to start & my mum's homemade christmas pud to follow.

Agree with all the comments that turkey isn't dry or tasteless if you cook it right. It's not a bird I cook any other time of the year but I can't have Christmas day without it.

Current tradition is to go for a walk after lunch & come back for a drink in the hot tub.

24 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

If you're fed up with Turkey I would thoroughly recommend trying a Capon.

Like a dinosaur chicken, succulent and tasty. 

I would imagine you'd have to go to the butcher's to get one and not a supermarket though.

Was hoping for Xmas in Derby but house we're buying is delayed so Worthing it is.

A Capon is a castrated cockerel who deprived of sex eats and eats into oblivion.

It would be like cannabilism to me.

11 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Based on what I've already seen from the quality of food in @David's kitchen...

Screenshot_20181112-214012_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d7dfcf78912c14740ce7807f883616ea.jpg

I'm guessing something like this will be on your table this Christmas...

Screenshot_20181112-214113_Chrome.thumb.jpg.06fc15589d984f3fe0945cad7cb3b978.jpg

Or maybe this...

Screenshot_20181112-214242_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb4072d2f3299c4e625499709a9939e2.jpg

Either way I'll stick to my dry tasteless bird thanks. (She cooks a mean turkey).

That pot noeldle will have flavour and taste better than a turkey without adding water, I bet you stick a cracker on the table as well because the TV adverts tell you to.

Archived