Championship clubs breakaway league

therealhantsram

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

I've been living in London for 10 years now. Am I a true cockney yet? 

What's the initiation ceremony? And when do I get the keys to the Cockney Rams Society?

You have to march up and down Pall Mall, smeared in jellied eels and liquor while singing 'My Old Man's a Dustman' fella. That should see you right. Oi, oi saveloy, wallop!

5 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

As i understand it the FL out the contract out to tender and the highest bid wins. If someone else was willing to pay more then they would have done it already. I don't think the level of interest elsewhere, if any, has been made public.

The problem is that people feel that they didn't do a very good job negotiating it - They seem to have made a deal which is the bare minimum rather than pushing Sky to cough up more - It's a deal which is designed by averaging out the needs of everyone rather than trying to push for what is the 'best' of the EFL product

If you negotiate based on what's best for Leeds/Derby/Villa etc who get loads of TV games (and therefore get messed around more) then you'll end up getting a better deal for the clubs further down too - And I don't think these days Sky can afford to sacrifice it's EFL offering - Used to be the case that they'd show 3/4 Premier League games over a weekend - With BT and Amazon now they know they need more EFL games on there to provide matches every day of the long weekend

The EFL managed to get (average) £700k per game - The Premier League get paid over £8m per game - In whatever argument you make on fanbases or TV viewing that is some really poor negotiating from the EFL

Final point - 7 of the top 20 'best supported' teams in the country (average attendance used as a proxy) are in the EFL - And none of them were consulted as part of this deal - 3x League1/2 clubs were (very fair) and then 3x championship clubs in the bottom half of the league on attendances - Why were none of the "big hitters" asked?

3 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

I've been living in London for 10 years now. Am I a true cockney yet? 

What's the initiation ceremony? And when do I get the keys to the Cockney Rams Society?

I'm just over 10 years - I think I had my initiation a few months ago - Bag got stolen with all my work stuff in while I was at the pub

30 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm just over 10 years - I think I had my initiation a few months ago - Bag got stolen with all my work stuff in while I was at the pub

Hard Hat, Hi Viz vest, gloves and tape measure... all in a Tesco Carrier bag, no doubt?

Hand it on a plate for 'em, why don't yer!

TWO more Championship clubs are set to join the rebellion against the EFL leadership over the new £595million Sky deal.

Anger with chief executive Shaun Harvey and his leadership team has hardened in the 72 hours since the controversial five-year deal was signed on Monday.

A group of 19 clubs signed a stinging letter insisting they were “gravely concerned” at the EFL Board's decision.

They warned: “There is a calm determination within clubs to ensure the matter is not left here.”

SunSport can reveal the rebels believe another two Championship clubs are ready to join the mutiny in a show of rising discontent with Harvey and his colleagues.

There is also an expectation that some League One sides will also agree the deal was signed prematurely and call the board to account.

And it emerged last night that the rebel clubs claim the three Championship sides represented on the Board - Brentford, Bristol City and Reading - complained they were forced to sign up to the deal against their will.

Full story https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7800760/leeds-Derby-efl-rebellion-595m-tv-deal/

Removing Sky’s rights to show all midweek games on the red button would be a start, or even allowing clubs to price their own streams more competitively, not the £10 per game when Sky can undercut them with monthly subscription bundles and NowTV. 

Hard to see Sky playing ball now the ink is dry on the contract, why would they? They’ve had the EFL’s pants down and will twirl them in the air for the next 5 years now with no care of the damage it’s doing to this league. 

Midweek attendances will decline as a result leaving clubs even more out of pocket, there’s a chance it might trigger a league wide reality check where we see wage bills dramatically reduced as owners simply refuse to continue funding clubs to the level they are. 

Problem you have then will be relegated clubs recieving parachute payments would dominate the Championship and we will start to see fewer clubs break into the top flight. 

Interesting times ahead, I don’t see this suddenly going quiet and brushed under the carpet, with more clubs voicing their anger at the deal we might actually see changes ahead which is desperately needed before football outside the Premier League is killed off.

1 hour ago, David said:

And it emerged last night that the rebel clubs claim the three Championship sides represented on the Board - Brentford, Bristol City and Reading - complained they were forced to sign up to the deal against their will.

Full story https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7800760/leeds-Derby-efl-rebellion-595m-tv-deal/

I now have images of Shaun Harvey waterboarding the Brentford, Bristol and Reading bosses. 

12 hours ago, David said:

Hard to see Sky playing ball now the ink is dry on the contract, why would they? They’ve had the EFL’s pants down and will twirl them in the air for the next 5 years now with no care of the damage it’s doing to this league. 

Agreed

However - I wonder what the terms of the contract dictate - If all 24 teams in the Championship decide to break away I don't see any option but for the FA to sanction them staying in place in the league hierarchy but acting as a separate entity (much like the Premier League) - I would imagine Sky's contract doesn't stipulate which clubs are covered and if the Championship were no longer part of the EFL we wouldn't be held to that contract

Just a thought anyway - And one which is starting to look a little more likely - Interesting times ahead

On 21/11/2018 at 16:54, GenBr said:

Isn't that what NowTV is for? You just pay for a NowTV pass whenever Derby is on Sky Sports - don't need a subscription or anything. 

Exactly. Expensive at 8 or 9 quid. But that pales in comparison to subscription.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived