In a Nutshell: Rams V Aston Villa

Ellafella

1.       I’ve always had a soft spot for Aston Villa; William McGregor, Claret N Blue, lovely old stadium; good support, traditional old club, Sid Cowans!..marvellous…what a player! , oooh…jumpers for goal posts, that sort of thing. Oh! and I did have trials for them when I was 15. I marked Mark Walters in one of the games and guess what…yep he scored a hat-trick despite being in my back-pocket for the entire 90 minutes. Ok, so he got lucky.

2.       Buoyed by the news of Edward’s goal for his Saturday team and his 2 assists {I made him give me a frame by frame account of his half-volley from the edge of the box} the Fans’ Park talk pre-match was a tad nervy with debate about FL’s team selection from a depleted squad and envious glances to the Villa team…Tammy Abrahams {who real name is Kevin apparently}, Adomah, Grealish et al…Oh we were in for a tough one. There was general agreement that we needed Tomori’s pace to counter said Kevin and many said they’d take a point now….

3.       A beautifully  sombre pre-match minute’s silence with regimental presence along the touchline and Private Derby in a coat of scarlet before a  30,000 crowd and a tingling atmosphere as two middle-heavyweights went toe-to-toe. First half it was pretty much end-to-end: there was a thumping shot from Harry Wilson which stung the Villa stopper’s hands, and a medley of three shots in a pin-ball frenzy that Derby should really have scored from. Villa too had chances with Abrahams being denied from just a couple of yards by Carson’s instinctive reaction save  but it was Tom Lawrence who was most profligate when clean through with a 1 on 1 he lobbed the ball clean over the bar in a sort of “miss-of-the-season”-Roger-Davies-type-scenario. Fact is though, we never had control of the midfield and it was clear that at half-time whoever took control on that area would win the game.

4.       And second half it was Aston Villa whose grip gradually tightened. Huddlestone notably retreated 15 yards further back and there began to be wave after wave of Villa menace, notably down their left {our right} with an apparent targeting of Bogle being the main Villa tactic {think me versus Mark Walters back in 1980}; it seemed all too easy for Adomah and Bolasie to get crosses in from the left and so it was for McGinn to head in and Abrahams to flick home before Hourihane’s left-peg free-kick pearler. 3-0 to Villa in a 10 minute goal-fest.

5.       To add injury to insult, Bennett tweaked a hamstring when stretching for a loose pass and worryingly a distressed-looking Forsyth was accompanied back to the dug-out after going down off the pitch.

6.       FL hates losing. His post-match was all staccatissimo. Should we panic? No. Villa deserved the 3-0; they are a very good side who will be top 6 come January. The break for once has come at the right time. We need to get injured players back. Time will show that this was a strategic defeat. Sometimes you have to lose a battle to remind you what it takes to win a war.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listen to FL post match interview and you can tell he hates losing. I think he also feels RD are questioning his team selection when asking why a player is left out. I think he finds it tedious explaining team selection. The Tamori - Davies is a good example. I think RD just want to know the thinking behind the decision but FL seems to take it a different way. He gets a bit uptight about it.

9 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Sid Cowans!..marvellous…what a player! , oooh…jumpers for goal posts, that sort of thing. Oh! and I did have trials for them when I was 15. I marked Mark Walters in one of the games and guess what…yep he scored a hat-trick despite being in my back-pocket for the entire 90 minutes. Ok, so he got lucky.

Time will show that this was a strategic defeat. Sometimes you have to lose a battle to remind you what it takes to win a war.

Always liked Sid till he ducked in the wall one time against the Gumps. Really he did. And your prowess in marking Walters out of the game will become the stuff of legend.

A magnificent summary and especially the final line. It's the war that's important.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Always liked Sid till he ducked in the wall one time against the Gumps. Really he did. And your prowess in marking Walters out of the game will become the stuff of legend.

A magnificent summary and especially the final line. It's the war that's important.

I thought 'ducked' was the swear filter and wondered what the duck he had been up too.

21 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Villa deserved the 3-0; they are a very good side who will be top 6 come January.

So far I've seen 2 teams who were comfortably better than us this season - Leeds and Villa - And I'm not giving Leeds the full credit because we were so early into the Lampard era at that point the team hadn't gelled etc etc

Villa reminded me of our Mac1 team - All the pieces already in place and just needed the right manager to stitch them together - On the other hand we're still in the relatively early stages of a re-build

Lampard has been happy with about 20 mins of our performances this season - Maybe a full half if we're generous - He wasn't even that happy with the second half against Man Utd! So it's fairly obvious we are FAR from the finished article

Archived