v Sheffield Wednesday (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Funny you should mention Christie, was sat wondering the other day how he would really suit our current system. 

Can't agree with that. Christie is defensively too weak to play in a back four - his positional awareness is just not up to the standard needed. He is better suited to a back 5 where there's more cover for the times he either goes missing or is caught out of position.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SWFC_FAN said:

You lot were very good at that. We don't do it often enough. Clearly something Lampard has drilled into them. Not a bad thing for me, put pressure on the referee and get in his face, all the top clubs do it. Something Lampard has probably learnt during his career.

Don't remember us doing it once but not saying that didn't happen. As you didn't have a player booked we're obviously not good at it! I think it's a bad thing mind, there was not much wrong with the Tomori follow through, an honest attempt for a ball that was there to be won. Foul all day but don't see the need to try and con the ref. 

4 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

He’s a strange one, even at his best for us I always thought he needed a rocket up his ass in terms of moving the ball.

Sometimes his demeanor seems to give the impression that he’s laid back / casual, he’s got the ability and at times there’s a touch of class there too but at times that casualness translates into laziness and of late when he played he seems so much slower mentally than the rest 

As u say, game time perhaps and confidence 

I just think it’s a shame for him as he’s clearly got lots of ability but in less than half a season he’s fallen well below a young lad in the pecking order 

for someone I believe has a lot in his locker it’s a shame for both him and us 

I'd describe his performances under Lampard as half-hearted. As if he knows he doesn't fit into this style and he's just going through the motions until he can get a move somewhere else. 

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The single game that defined the destiny of Derby County. With two league titles under our belt and this time going for the double, we didn't turn up against newly promoted Man Utd and were never ever ever the same again. The shock of the semifinal exit destroyed us. 

If I had a time machine I'd go back and make sure Charlie George didn't get injured beforehand, and would probably nobble Gordon Hill as well. 

As an event, it certainly seemed to signal the end of the 'good times' but the real reason for our decline were the poor board decisions taken from late 1976 to 1978 - a lot of which were motivated by increasing panic at what was happening down the road at Forest.

Forcing Mackay out of the club in some mistaken belief Cloughie was coming back & then putting a stop-gap in charge was colossally stupid. They then compounded it by bringing in flash non-entity Tommy Docherty & spent money like it was going out of fashion.

Derby still had the nucleus of a very good squad in 1976/77 (Todd/McFarland were 28, Rioch/Nish/Gemmill 29, George 26) - had we stuck with Mackay or appointed wisely (if results really merited his departure), we could have stayed amongst the best clubs in the land beyond 1976.

I think Wisom is getting some harsh criticism based on his performance yesterday. By no means was he at his best, however the inability of the whole team to control the ball meant that the whole defence was under a lot of pressure throughout the game. Intelenrt him giving the ball away a couple of times, but no more that others and contributed  to the goal with a great slide pass. 

I have to say though that they need to knock the ground down two giants poles obstructing views, and the congestion in getting to the concourse something they havent learned from previous mistakes. Not only thnt but they run out of beer at HT and It was often very difficult to see play in the second half as it got darker down the other end of the ground  and when the electronic boards were bright red. I’m sure it wasn’t down to the gallon of beer we consumed before the game but I may be wrong ?

19 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

As an event, it certainly seemed to signal the end of the 'good times' but the real reason for our decline were the poor board decisions taken from late 1976 to 1978 - a lot of which were motivated by increasing panic at what was happening down the road at Forest.

Forcing Mackay out of the club in some mistaken belief Cloughie was coming back & then putting a stop-gap in charge was colossally stupid. They then compounded it by bringing in flash non-entity Tommy Docherty & spent money like it was going out of fashion.

Derby still had the nucleus of a very good squad in 1976/77 (Todd/McFarland were 28, Rioch/Nish/Gemmill 29, George 26) - had we stuck with Mackay or appointed wisely (if results really merited his departure), we could have stayed amongst the best clubs in the land beyond 1976.

Really interesting discussion on the end of the glory days. I don't know too much about it. Not heard about Clough possibly coming back. Was there much in that?

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Shared a season ticket with my bro (whose turn it was for the Stoke game). I was already thinking about parallel universes so complained bitterly we'd never have lost if I'd gone. Our old man couldn't afford semifinal tickets for both of us, so neither got to go, meaning I doubled down on the theory that defeat was his fault for not taking me. I was clearly a horrible child. 

But whenever I've been to Hillsborough since, or  just whenever we play there, I think of that day. 

Half fan!

Tell us more about the semi final, never read much about that game.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

I'd describe his performances under Lampard as half-hearted. As if he knows he doesn't fit into this style and he's just going through the motions until he can get a move somewhere else. 

I have to say that it’s this that gives me more worries than an individual performance after a long time on the sidelines. He’s a good player. Maybe not a harrier, which might be Franks desire. But he is normally an excellent tackler and has composure on the ball. We need him and his head in the right place - get that right and he will be invaluable to the squad. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Half fan!

Tell us more about the semi final, never read much about that game.

Half-fan by definition!

Just googled and the start of this piece is a good intro: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/12127963/40-years-on-Gordon-Hill-recalls-Manchester-Uniteds-FA-Cup-underdogs-biting-champions-Derby-County.html

"Derby were the then reigning First Division champions, their team stuffed with internationals like Francis Lee, Colin Todd, Roy McFarland, Bruce Rioch and Archie Gemmill. And United had just been promoted with a young, refreshed squad after a wretched period of decline following their European Cup win in 1968."

I remember listening to the draw on the coach to an England Schoolboys international. The reporters described us as "the team everyone wants to avoid". They interviewed Charlie George about being the first player to do the "double double", having also managed a double for Arsenal. But on the day George couldn't play having by targeted by Stoke players in a preceding game who'd dislocated his shoulder.

Rams fans had blue and white balloons (none of this black nonsense that we play in now) and released a sea of them onto the pitch before kickoff. Sadly that's not included in this weirdly colourized footage here:

We never really turned up but still had moments, Davies twice failing to set people up. And then at 3:30 in the video David Nish plays himself through at 0-1 to be one-on-one against the keeper but was flagged offside (for passing to himself). That's as far as I got. I couldn't bear to watch it all.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Really interesting discussion on the end of the glory days. I don't know too much about it. Not heard about Clough possibly coming back. Was there much in that?

Yes, apparently he & Taylor had provisionally agreed to come back in February 1977 but Clough couldn't go through with it. He had also asked for Longson & Webb to be removed which the board couldn't accept. Basically a re-run of the 1973 power games.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Can't agree with that. Christie is defensively too weak to play in a back four - his positional awareness is just not up to the standard needed. He is better suited to a back 5 where there's more cover for the times he either goes missing or is caught out of position.

Think we have been at our best this season when Bogle offered us an attacking threat, certainly don't see Christie as being defensively weak as Bogle.

7 hours ago, SWFC_FAN said:

It's a tough one, the club has been terribly mismanaged and we are suffering now. A team low on confidence, a poor defence without the funds to improve it and a manager as charismatic as a sloth. I think we'll stay up but that's only because we have a few individuals who are way too good to be playing for a relegation side. But you never know, something has to change quick. 

Isn’t that a tad unfair on sloths who despite being generally lethargic types can usually be relied upon to grow a half decent moustache? ?

5 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’ve been mulling over Wisdom whilst at work today.

My first reaction watching yesterday was that he had committed numerous crimes against football but obviously that’s ridiculous.

Rusty,unfit hasn’t worked hard enough?I don’t know.

He was certainly overloaded,quite often 2 on 1 and occasionally 3 on 1.

I’ll certainly give him credit that he stuck at it and didn’t cave in completely.

I was less impressed that Forestieri who has been out for 3 months injured looked a lot fitter.

Anyway,whatever the reason,I’m not going to go all Cyrus Christie on him and will back him to learn from it and go again.

I think we’re going to need him.

Come on Andre.

Careful @coneheadjohn, you don’t want to go blind ?

Just finished watching the full 90. I think the criticism of wisdom is OTT.

caught in possession on 57 minutes which nearly cost us, but other than that, not really any different to anyone else. 

It would be easy to find equivalent errors by half the team. 

Collectively there was a lack of composure and sort of hoof it, and scrap for it mentality. Can only assume we were mentally preparing for stoke. Marriott was the difference. Alarming how we just let bannan have the run of the pitch.

Fortunately stoke haven't got a barry bannan. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Seems to me that wisdom has not been quite the same player since he was left out of the team for personal reasons , has he had stuff going on in the background that’s affected him attitude and training wise? 

There is a fair bit about his private life but I haven’t seen any proof of it and it could all be made up crap or press mischief and it’s allegedly from his Liverpool days a few years ago.

Archived