v Sheffield Wednesday (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Ran the show today, tho seemed to be all Wednesday had so it begs the question why we didn’t manage to sort him out by marking him tighter. Gave him far too much space to spray the ball about, they didn’t give Huddlestone such respect. But yeah he’s one hell of a player there’s no doubt about that, would love him next to mount in a two.

It was pointed out to us by a Wednesday fan, before the kickoff, that if we man marked BB, we would win

as he's the only one on form at the moment -  so was suprised when he had free reign all over the pitch in

both halves. We were due some luck after the AV game - not complaining mind you, great result, we won

ugly but all the points count!

5 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If only we had on that spring afternoon all those years ago.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

What, to then be embarrassed by plucky second division Southampton in the Final?  I've never enjoyed a game that didn't include DCFC, as much as I did for the '76 final!   ?

The single game that defined the destiny of Derby County. With two league titles under our belt and this time going for the double, we didn't turn up against newly promoted Man Utd and were never ever ever the same again. The shock of the semifinal exit destroyed us. 

If I had a time machine I'd go back and make sure Charlie George didn't get injured beforehand, and would probably nobble Gordon Hill as well. 

7 hours ago, DesertRam said:

It was pointed out to us by a Wednesday fan, before the kickoff, that if we man marked BB, we would win

as he's the only one on form at the moment -  so was suprised when he had free reign all over the pitch in

both halves. We were due some luck after the AV game - not complaining mind you, great result, we won

Maybe FL didn't bother to read the oppo report from our oppo report producer scouty bloke!

Looks like a let off for him this week!  Lucky Frank!

6 hours ago, DesertRam said:

Trouble is, we haven't got a player capable of man marking a mobile creative midfielder. Unfortunately, Villa had 2 of them. 

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The single game that defined the destiny of Derby County. With two league titles under our belt and this time going for the double, we didn't turn up against newly promoted Man Utd and were never ever ever the same again. The shock of the semifinal exit destroyed us. 

If I had a time machine I'd go back and make sure Charlie George didn't get injured beforehand, and would probably nobble Gordon Hill as well. 

...and allow Nish's "goal", of course!

7 hours ago, DesertRam said:

We have a bit of an issue at the moment because we don't have a 'man marker' in midfield. BJ would be the closest but I'm not sure he's nippy enough to chase the likes of Bannan.

We try to accommodate all of our best ball players to include Mount and Wilson but what was gain in skill we lose in physicality.

We will have to accept that if we want entertainment it will be scary at times, especially with full backs who can't defend.

As long as we take chances when they come along we should win more than we lose.

I must say it's great to have finishers like Marriott and Wilson!

9 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Sheffield created so many chances in the second half Davies is off the pace and Huddlestone had a very poor game.

But we got the win which is most important.

Is it most important? 

You won't go through a season scraping victories. 

Get your performances right and you will win more than you lose!

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Stoke at home when Charlie got injured was the moment it all started to unravel. The semi-final defeat and the sacking of Mackay the following season were symptoms.

What has happened to Andre Wisdom ?

i know he used to dilly dally on the ball under Mac but he’d still manage to find his pass and defensively was like a rock ... now 

sweet god he’s reminding more and more of Ja  “switch off” Mceverly by the day  

hes just become so slow in everything he does, playing the ball, picking up his man, reading situations, basic defending 

I miss Andre of old 

11 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I agree with that point, but some of his almost game changing mistakes were pretty much schoolboy stuff 

I confess that I was making a garden gate listening to Radio Derby so cant properly judge, but I winced very time the commentators said something. Wisdom can lurch from clumsy to warrior in in a few simple steps,  but I got the feeling that he did improve as the game went on ? 

45 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

What has happened to Andre Wisdom ?

i know he used to dilly dally on the ball under Mac but he’d still manage to find his pass and defensively was like a rock ... now 

sweet god he’s reminding more and more of Ja  “switch off” Mceverly by the day  

hes just become so slow in everything he does, playing the ball, picking up his man, reading situations, basic defending 

I miss Andre of old 

Yes; he’s not the same player. Is that all about ring-rustiness, which given a run of games will disappear, or does Andre need a bit of counselling to re-discover his mojo? Perhaps a bit of support from the fans at volume might be in order. 

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes; he’s not the same player. Is that all about ring-rustiness, which given a run of games will disappear, or does Andre need a bit of counselling to re-discover his mojo? Perhaps a bit of support from the fans at volume might be in order. 

He’s a strange one, even at his best for us I always thought he needed a rocket up his ass in terms of moving the ball.

Sometimes his demeanor seems to give the impression that he’s laid back / casual, he’s got the ability and at times there’s a touch of class there too but at times that casualness translates into laziness and of late when he played he seems so much slower mentally than the rest 

As u say, game time perhaps and confidence 

I just think it’s a shame for him as he’s clearly got lots of ability but in less than half a season he’s fallen well below a young lad in the pecking order 

for someone I believe has a lot in his locker it’s a shame for both him and us 

38 minutes ago, jono said:

I confess that I was making a garden gate listening to Radio Derby so cant properly judge, but I winced very time the commentators said something about Wisdom.

Good post. You didnt need to be there to latch on we are a bit vulnerable at right back. Our season might hinge on whether we can get more secure in that position.

Carson .. 7 .. Fine, but distribution has to improve 

Wisdom .. 4 .. Another poor performance, has become a very frustrating figure

Keogh .. 8 .. His usual committed, assured performance

Tomori .. 6 .. A couple of rash tackles marred his game and resulted in his substitution

Malone .. 7 .. Steady game with a couple of good penetrating surges forward

Huddlestone .. 9 .. Yet another masterful performance that could well have been capped by goal of the season. Best two players on the pitch were Huddlestone and Barry Bannan, two very different midfielders, but both creative, perceptive passers of a ball, with a knowledge of the game and a creative flair beyond that of 99% of Championship midfielders, and most Premiership too. What a pleasure to witness two such artists in one game.

Mount .. 6 .. Obviously very ‘rusty’ after his injury layoff, and not displaying his usual forward momentum and link up play

Holmes .. 6 .. Some nice touches and still showing promise of better to come, but still a ‘work in progress’

Jozefzoon .. 7 .. Had the beating of the full back, and feel that he has the potential to be ahead of both Lawrence and Bennett as a wing option

Wilson .. 7 .. A great goal, but often very frustrating given the ability he obviously possesses

Marriott .. 8 .. What an opportunist goal machine, with potential to be a regular 20 goal a season man

Subs. .. 

Davies .. 7 .. The usual assured and solid performance 

Lawrence .. 6 .. Incisive and frustrating by turns, as usual

Thought we deserved something yesterday. You took your chances in the first half, we missed two easy ones in the second. That was the difference. Pleased with our performance compared to recent weeks but that is 1 point out of a possible 18 now. Depressing.

Thought you'd look more dangerous and you were actually one of the lesser sides performance wise I've seen at Hillsborough this season. But you got the three points and that's all that matters. 

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

15 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Horrific first 20 minutes but we eventually settled and played some good stuff in the second half. They had chances but nothing massively clear cut minus that Forestieri chance. Davies was absolutely immense when he came on. 

Don’t know about anyone else, but i’d love us to pick up Barry Bannan in January. 

I wouldn't blame him if he did move. He deserved a lot better than Wednesday. 

Archived