v Sheffield Wednesday (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

Derby Vs Sheffield Wednesday Saturday November 24th 3.00PM KO @Hillsborough

Seven-year itch (no jokes please) and therefore time for my match thread debut. A disappointing performance today but a reasonable opportunity to put that behind us in our very next game as we travel to Hillsborough. Yet another international break and one that seems, for once, to be well timed as injuries accrue and with a squad looking seriously leggy after our hectic recent schedule.

Much to ponder, not least of which is whether young Mason Mount will return to re-instil some snap into our midfield. Duane Holmes has been an admirable understudy in his absence, but a fit, freshened and firing Mount is surely a must for a fixture where we will be striving to reassert our promotion credentials.

Those currently on the easy list right include the hapless Craig Forsyth who looked absolutely crestfallen today. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that he’s not picked up another serious injury. Likewise, the other Mason whose own career to date has been somewhat blighted with injuries. Waggy may well be in line for a welcome return, however, and would doubtless add some bite to our attacking options if he does.

Hard then to assess likely line ups then, but with a little luck and a fair wind, we might see something like the following:

Carson

Bogle          Keogh         Davies        Malone

Thud

Wilson          Mount

Waghorn        Stud        Lawrence

If we do, I think we can expect to see a fresher team and a return to form yielding a relatively comfortable win against a Wednesday side who do not appear to be really firing this season. 3-1 the call with Mount back on the scoresheet and the Stud netting a brace.

COYR

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Derby Vs Sheffield Wednesday Saturday November 24th 3.00PM KO @Hillsborough

Seven-year itch (no jokes please) and therefore time for my match thread debut. A disappointing performance today but a reasonable opportunity to put that behind us in our very next game as we travel to Hillsborough. Yet another international break and one that seems, for once, to be well timed as injuries accrue and with a squad looking seriously leggy after our hectic recent schedule.

Much to ponder, not least of which is whether young Mason Mount will return to re-instil some snap into our midfield. Duane Holmes has been an admirable understudy in his absence, but a fit, freshened and firing Mount is surely a must for a fixture where we will be striving to reassert our promotion credentials.

Those currently on the easy list right include the hapless Craig Forsyth who looked absolutely crestfallen today. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that he’s not picked up another serious injury. Likewise, the other Mason whose own career to date has been somewhat blighted with injuries. Waggy may well be in line for a welcome return, however, and would doubtless add some bite to our attacking options if he does.

Hard then to assess likely line ups then, but with a little luck and a fair wind, we might see something like the following:

Carson

Bogle          Keogh         Davies        Malone

Thud

Wilson          Mount

Waghorn        Stud        Lawrence

If we do, I think we can expect to see a fresher team and a return to form yielding a relatively comfortable win against a Wednesday side who do not appear to be really firing this season. 3-1 the call with Mount back on the scoresheet and the Stud netting a brace.

COYR

What has Malone done to be put all on his lonesome in the naughty corner??????

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Hudders has been awesome for the last 4 or 5 games up until today, be very harsh to drop him....

Love Huddlestone, but not much of that team that played today deserves to start this match. Gotta send out the right message that the level of performance and lack of battling shown today can’t be allowed. Keep everyone on their toes that way and avoid complacency.

after today, we will be forced to change players. Bogle should be dropped, but won’t. Forsyth shouldn’t be but will need to I fear. Mount must play if fit, flojo mustn’t, full stop. It’s time for Johnson to play again. We were just too powderpuff today, Sheffield away is no place for show ponies 

11 minutes ago, Doodle said:

after today, we will be forced to change players. Bogle should be dropped, but won’t. Forsyth shouldn’t be but will need to I fear. Mount must play if fit, flojo mustn’t, full stop. It’s time for Johnson to play again. We were just too powderpuff today, Sheffield away is no place for show ponies 

But no need for a knee jerk reaction after 1 poor performance.....

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But no need for a knee jerk reaction after 1 poor performance.....

No need indeed for knee jerk changes but We will be forced into 2 changes, due to injury. If Mount and Waghorn are fit, then 2 more changes. Probably 1 tactical switch could see 5 changes to today’s team. If I’m honest, it looked like it needed it. 

10 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I thought Holmes and Wilson as CM partnership was a very poor choice by Lampard today, we lacked any defensive ability in the middle of the park I really hope Wilson plays on the wing from now on with Lawrence on the bench and Johnson starting.

Yet one week ago was a very good pairing against a Birmingham side that was on paper more physical.

Easy to be critical in retrospect.

11 hours ago, Doodle said:

Not going to argue the toss where Bogle is concerned, but I do think that WIsdom has looked a shade of himself this season and might not add a great deal. Other folk have suggested that Fikayo be moved to RB with Davies and Keogh reunited in the centre. Perhaps this might work. My question is do we pull Bogle at a time where his confidence looks shot, or do we keep the faith and continue to afford the younger players a chance to develop? It's a tough call and one I'm glad I don't have to make. 

11 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I thought Holmes and Wilson as CM partnership was a very poor choice by Lampard today, we lacked any defensive ability in the middle of the park I really hope Wilson plays on the wing from now on with Lawrence on the bench and Johnson starting.

Did you express this opinion before the game of just after we'd lost?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yet one week ago was a very good pairing against a Birmingham side that was on paper more physical.

Easy to be critical in retrospect.

Indeed, can’t critiscise frank for that lineup. Perhaps could’ve done more in game when he saw how things were going, as well as at half time, but I didn’t see much moaning before the game at the team.

Archived