Steel City Derby

Coneheadjohn

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Come on....doesn't make sense? And wednesday does??

Isn't it from the Wednesday cricket club, because bakers or somebody got Wednesday afternoons off in the 1820s and decided to play cricket? Makes perfect sense, if there's a historically reason for it, unlike Plymouth Argyle. Think there used to be a Middlesbrough Wednesday as well. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Topram said:

It’s the full backs that make Sheffield United look good those 2 bombing down gives them so many options going forward it’s hard to defend against, Wednesday defended well but over the last 2/3 years the money they’ve spent you’d be pretty annoyed having to go defend like that against your local rivals. 

....and the spare centre back turning up in the box to occasionally finish off a move. 

8 hours ago, Carnero said:

Another refereeing masterclass from Andy Madley ?, how this guy isn't a PL ref and his brother is (was) is beyond me.

I said the same when he walked out the tunnel. I’m not 100% sure on the penalty but the rest he was spot on. Hope he refs the home fixture v florist next month. 

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Isn't it from the Wednesday cricket club, because bakers or somebody got Wednesday afternoons off in the 1820s and decided to play cricket?

This is correct, but they were butchers not bakers.

Do you think Wick Academy was founded by candlestick makers?

11 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Them, Leeds and Forest are all the same. A faux working class identity yet think they are owed something rather than having to earn it.

Yesterday I witnessed a blade telling people that United are a working class club and Wednesday are from a posh suburb. I nearly fell off my chair. I'd hate to see where that guy lives if he thinks Hillsborough is posh.

17 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Wednesday are the original Sheffield club, being over 20 years older. They originally played at Bramall Lane, and were nicknamed the Blades. United are usurpers, also rans, and classless wearers of bacon. 

I always want Wednesday to win this one in convincing style, but sadly I think they're going to get battered. Could be Luhukay's last game. 

It all makes sense now. ducking Utd stole their stadium and nickname, no wonder they care about their chants so much!!

51 minutes ago, Anon said:

Yesterday I witnessed a blade telling people that United are a working class club and Wednesday are from a posh suburb. I nearly fell off my chair. I'd hate to see where that guy lives if he thinks Hillsborough is posh.

They seem like the ultimate chip (butty) on the shoulder club to me; I dislike them far more than Leeds or Forest. 

On 10/11/2018 at 09:51, Anon said:

You’ve got Parsons Cross,South Green and Firth Park about a mile from the ground,so hardly posh.

Similar areas around Bramall Lane.

Just like any city.

Archived