Steel City Derby

Coneheadjohn

7.45pm Friday 9th.

I’ve started a thread for it because it's close to my heart,even closer too my house and we have the Owls first game after the international break.

If the Owls lose it could well be a Mick McCarthy Owls we face,?.

Who in their right mind scheduled it for a Friday night?

50/50 for me,want both teams to go up after Derby.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind either team & having previously lived & worked in Sheffield, I've seen both play a few times over the years.

For tonight, though, I'd have to hope for Weds to win & win big, just because of where Utd are in the league.

Actual prediction: 2-1 Utd win.

I hate this fixture if I'm honest. Sheffield is a lovely city and both Blades and Owls fans are normally easier to get along with than most opposition supporters. When they're in the same division, for two days a year the city is a horrible place and they all act like complete see you next tuesdays. Apparently this was the most expensive fixture to police in English football last season, and that doesn't surprise me.

47 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Anyone know the historical background to the rivalry?

Have a brother who lives with wife and child near Hillsborough (Leppings Lane is the nearest tram stop) but who is not in any way a football fan. Sounds like his habitual friday night p*** up is going to be interrupted (serve him right the pot-bellied git ?)

Other than North v South I don’t know of any.

Dates back to the 1890’s I believe the same year Hillsborough was last decorated.

Obviously the Owls invent every song and chant in football but I don’t know if that has any bearing.

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

7.45pm Friday 9th.

I’ve started a thread for it because it's close to my heart,even closer too my house and we have the Owls first game after the international break.

Is that usual? Liking both teams?

I have friends in Stannington. Despite their proximity to Hillsborough, they are supporters of United and love it when Weds lose.

I'd normally go for a draw but I think a Wednesday victory would be good tonight.

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is that usual? Liking both teams?

I have friends in Stannington. Despite their proximity to Hillsborough, they are supporters of United and love it when Weds lose.

I'd normally go for a draw but I think a Wednesday victory would be good tonight.

Wednesday victory would be better for us.

Probably not normal,we live at Norton so firmly in Blades territory but I’m from Derby so want both teams to do well for the city in general.

All my lads are the same even though they are born and bred Dee Dah’s.

Having grown up in North Derbyshire this one has always been a bigger fixture than us and Forest which is slightly weird. I swear there's more Sheffield United fans in Chesterfield than there is Derby fans! 

I don't really mind who wins, should be a good old ding dong Derby. There's been some crackers over the years.

4 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

7.45pm Friday 9th.

My mate's uni accommodation is about 50 metres from Bramall Lane (he actually lives on Bramall Lane). Went there and had a good night out a few weeks ago and I'm going back for Round 2 when we play Wednesday.

7 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

My mate's uni accommodation is about 50 metres from Bramall Lane (he actually lives on Bramall Lane). Went there and had a good night out a few weeks ago and I'm going back for Round 2 when we play Wednesday.

Are you going to Wednesday?

You be careful down their,don’t want you getting frog marched to the cash point.

Archived