Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
McLovin

Sarri bans Chelsea players from using weights

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Miles Addison came back from long-term injury with a physique that suggested he'd been on the weights and he was rubbish.

Yes that was one that sprung to mind but to be fair he was hardly Usain Bolt prior to his injury. 

On the other flip of the coin, I think Hughesy bulked up a little during his time out with injury and I don't remember it affecting his natural ability.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, McLovin said:

Balance, speed, agility, endurance/stamina, reduced risk of injury. All important aspects in football.

I'd say the exact opposite for a lot of them, balance especially.

Weights are fantastic for core strength and balance, will increase sprint speed and acceleration, stamina and recovery from short bursts is improved and stronger muscles get injured less.

This is mostly anecdotal from what I've observed and found myself, but I definitely think a blanket ban is ridiculous.

I'm sure if done in excess it could have a detriment to the playing football, but its up to the clubs to manage properly and enjoy the  benefits of!

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, McLovin said:

Balance, speed, agility, endurance/stamina, reduced risk of injury. All important aspects in football.

The attributes you have listed are not incompatible with strength, look at players like Pogba and Ronaldo for example they have all of those attributes with a lot of strength. Every player is different but as long as you don't bulk up to Akinfenwa levels you won't impact upon your overall performance. So I think a gym ban seems a bit harsh, but maybe it was becuase the Chelsea players were over doing the muscle and getting a bit too big. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

The attributes you have listed are not incompatible with strength, look at players like Pogba and Ronaldo for example they have all of those attributes with a lot of strength. Every player is different but as long as you don't bulk up to Akinfenwa levels you won't impact upon your overall performance. So I think a gym ban seems a bit harsh, but maybe it was becuase the Chelsea players were over doing the muscle and getting a bit too big. 

Compare Ronaldo and Pogba to how they were years ago, they are not slow by any means but they are a lot slower and less agile than they were by using weights. As a result, In ronaldo’s case, Ronaldo tends not to use weights as much if at all anymore since he used to get injured a lot which is why he’s regained some of his speed that he had lost over recent years.

Another good example is Lukaku. At Everton, he was quick and could get away from defenders but now he struggles to move

 

 

Edited by McLovin

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Compare Ronaldo and Pogba to how they were years ago, they are not slow by any means but they are a lot slower and less agile than they were by using weights. As a result, In ronaldo’s case, Ronaldo tends not to use weights as much if at all anymore since he used to get injured a lot which is why he’s regained some of his speed that he had lost over recent years.

Another good example is Lukaku. At Everton, he was quick and could get away from defenders but now he struggles to move

 

 

fair point,  I do think weights should still be used in moderation though, especially for someone like Holmes or Wilson.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2018 at 13:12, McLovin said:

Compare Ronaldo and Pogba to how they were years ago, they are not slow by any means but they are a lot slower and less agile than they were by using weights. As a result, In ronaldo’s case, Ronaldo tends not to use weights as much if at all anymore since he used to get injured a lot which is why he’s regained some of his speed that he had lost over recent years.

Another good example is Lukaku. At Everton, he was quick and could get away from defenders but now he struggles to move

 

Looks like Lukaku has been spending too much time in McDonalds not the gym

Share this post


Link to post

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.