George Thorne-No longer the player he was

BatRam

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Under the circumstances, maybe it's not that strange?  It seems more honourable than stringing him along on a wave of false promises?

I agree with @G STAR RAM on this one

It suggests a decision was made that he's not good enough BEFORE he's even fit...

If he's not fit then how do you know if he's good enough? If you've already decided he's not enough and want shot then why bother waiting until he's fit?

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

i can confirm from a reliable source that George Thorne is working to get to an adequate fitness level so that he can be sold in January.

That would REALLY disappoint me - Not just because I think Thorne can still be a very good player - But it shows a poor attitude from Lampard in dismissing a player before they're even fit enough to show what they can do

Any idea why? Has Lampard just decided to bin him? Or is the player forcing a move regardless?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It suggests a decision was made that he's not good enough BEFORE he's even fit...

If he's not fit then how do you know if he's good enough? If you've already decided he's not enough and want shot then why bother waiting until he's fit?

That would REALLY disappoint me - Not just because I think Thorne can still be a very good player - But it shows a poor attitude from Lampard in dismissing a player before they're even fit enough to show what they can do

Any idea why? Has Lampard just decided to bin him? Or is the player forcing a move regardless?

Not a clue mate. Just something he has told a mate of mine which i won't go into as it is in a professional capacity.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

It’s a shame you are wrong.  

Butterfield is good as well. 

PS. For what it’s worth Holmes looked terrible in the U23s missing 2 sitters one on one in one game against PSV. 

Thorne and Butterfields footballing brains are way ahead of most. 

Max Bird also deserves his chance at times 

Brains are good, they make good players great and average players good. 

But you also need legs. The average Championship fixture looks way too fast for what George looks capable of at the moment. 

I know you hate the current set up because of the vibrant, energetic football Lampard is doing his best to introduce, but a midfield of Thorne and Butterfield? Really?

(don't answer that, I know you're on the wind up)

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

Brains are good, they make good players great and average players good. 

But you also need legs. The average Championship fixture looks way too fast for what George looks capable of at the moment. 

I know you hate the current set up because of the vibrant, energetic football Lampard is doing his best to introduce, but a midfield of Thorne and Butterfield? Really?

(don't answer that, I know you're on the wind up)

Mate I’m not on the wind up. 

You think playing 2 wingers essentially with Huddlestone is a good midfield.

Pull the other leg. 

32 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Dont agree on it being a poor attitude from lampard ,he may well have spoken to Thorne , spoken to others at the club , looked at thornes playing record , watched him train and play since he arrived and taken medical advise and decided that he would much rather draw a line under George’s time with us and move on , I don’t have the slightest problem with that and in fact I think giving him the new contract was as daft as the Chris Martin new contract , I’m glad we are moving on from the policy of holding on to players in the hope that they will some day come good again form and injury wise just because they had a half decent spell for us in the past ,, Martin deserves more from us in those terms than Thorne and he is far from playing his way back into Derby reckoning whilst on loan in the same division let alone mouching round the under 23 s showing no real sign that your far better than that level

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Dont agree on it being a poor attitude from lampard ,he may well have spoken to Thorne , spoken to others at the club , looked at thornes playing record , watched him train and play since he arrived and taken medical advise and decided that he would much rather draw a line under George’s time with us and move on , I don’t have the slightest problem with that and in fact I think giving him the new contract was as daft as the Chris Martin new contract , I’m glad we are moving on from the policy of holding on to players in the hope that they will some day come good again form and injury wise just because they had a half decent spell for us in the past ,, Martin deserves more from us in those terms than Thorne and he is far from playing his way back into Derby reckoning whilst on loan in the same division let alone mouching round the under 23 s showing no real sign that your far better than that level

Do you want to know what I think. 

I think Thorne ,Martin and Butterfield have been treated shabbily by DCFC 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Its unfortunate for them but they have been victims of circumstance rather than some sinister plot.

All of the various decisions regarding contracts etc would have been made in good faith, not on the basis that DCFC may have an as yet undefined opportunity to screw someone over 12 months down the line. ?

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You know what I think ? You may have the slightest of case s with butterfield in terms of playing time given but the other two have been very well looked after by Derby county and will never have to do another days work in their lives if they choose , if you think Thorne has been treated shabbily by DCFC then you are barking mad ,

martin has the security of a lucrative longish contract from DCFC whilst the ability to be on loan at another club to find form whilst not in our managers first team plans

just exactly how has DCFC treated Thorne shabbily ? 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

You know what I think ? You may have the slightest of case s with butterfield in terms of playing time given but the other two have been very well looked after by Derby county and will never have to do another days work in their lives if they choose , if you think Thorne has been treated shabbily by DCFC then you are barking mad 

Thorne is fit for gods sake.  

Hes good enough for the first team.  

Its madness playing 2 left backs. 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Fit enough and good enough for the first team according to YOU ,, when was the last time you saw him play really well at championship level ? Do you see him in training? Do you have access to the data and stats from training for him? But you are far better placed to make a decision on his fitness and current ability than lampard ,Morris and Jones ??? 

Do me a favour

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He looks a good player in the u23s, i'm really not sure that amounts to 'good enough for the 1st team'. Lampard will be the one that has watched and is watching him in training and making a judgement on him. I'll trust his judgement on this over anyone's, he's the one that has seen Thorne play with the 1st teamers most recently, therefore he's the most qualified to judge. There is a reason he isn't playing right now, he will not have been dropped to the u23 without good reason. Fitness, quality, financial reasons, there's lots of things that do have an effect.

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Fit enough and good enough for the first team according to YOU ,, when was the last time you saw him play really well at championship level ? Do you see him in training? Do you have access to the data and stats from training for him? But you are far better placed to make a decision on his fitness and current ability than lampard ,Morris and Jones ??? 

Do me a favour

It’s to do with FFP I reckon 

Its just my opinion and I know Frank is far better qualified. 

Seen both Butterfield and Thorne in U23s and they look good. 

Does Frank go to U23 games. 

Never seen him there

Another thing loan players go back to the top clubs like Liverpool and Chelsea and they ain’t our players. 

Dont you look after your own first 

13 minutes ago, Archied said:

You know what I think ? You may have the slightest of case s with butterfield in terms of playing time given but the other two have been very well looked after by Derby county and will never have to do another days work in their lives if they choose , if you think Thorne has been treated shabbily by DCFC then you are barking mad ,

martin has the security of a lucrative longish contract from DCFC whilst the ability to be on loan at another club to find form whilst not in our managers first team plans

just exactly how has DCFC treated Thorne shabbily ? 

Have Derby treated Thorne shabbily- No .  They've looked after him physically.  Gave him a new contract last year despite injury concerns and i'm sure give him an excellent salary that would make my eye's water.

Have Derby disillusioned him, probably affecting his form -yes-He left a premier league club where he had just signed a 4 year contract to come here,  He was probably our best player in 15/16 (people forget that season). His form in 13/14 probably gave him a lot of options besides ourselves as well.  Now he's fit we're playing wingers in midfield ahead of him/putting 18 year olds with one league cup game on the bench and he isn't given a squad number or allowed to be in the team photo.

And too be honest the only thing he did wrong was have a bad game against Sunderland last year along with half a squad of player's who are still getting games this year.  I feel certain that if Thorne goes in the spring it won't be long till we have rabid Swansea/sheff wed or some other fans of a championship team coming on this forum telling us they had our pant's down at 500.000 (read Bryson to Cardiff last year)

Archived