George Thorne-No longer the player he was

BatRam

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

How do you get your middle toe ahead of the other 4 lads? It's usually the big fella or the little one.

You see, this wouldn't happen to @Boycie up in Belper. Webbed feet innit bruv

I really dont know, what i do know is, it bloody smarts, reckon I've broke it, like ive broke the little one a couple of times in the past, geez. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the first half hour of the u23 game. George did as well as anyone. Certainly did more than Bird.

but it was pretty boring 

there are no real stars in that team on that evidence.

On 09/11/2018 at 20:18, reveldevil said:

3. If the Sam Rush court filings are to be believed, every 1st team appearance would cost us another £12.5k.

Rush was 'asked to leave' in May 2017 - Thorne had a new contract in Jan 2018 - If it was in the original contract I can't believe it was still in the new one?

On 10/11/2018 at 11:55, Lambchop said:

I don't think we can jump to any conclusions, given how Frank has handled bringing players into contention so far. He gave Marriott the time he needed until he was ready, and may be doing the same for George. 

I have ALL my fingers and toes crossed this is the case

On 10/11/2018 at 17:40, RadioactiveWaste said:

Presumably the second half today played himself back into contention bby being nowhere near the three nil defeat.

We were crying out for a defensive midfielder who can tackle, pass accurately and run the game just in front of the defence - Huddlestone can do 2 of those - Ledley and Johnson can do 1 (maybe 2) a piece - Thorne of 3 years ago could do them all

I REALLY hope Lampard hasn't made his decision on Thorne already and there's a reason he's not been close to the first team squad so far

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:
On 09/11/2018 at 20:18, reveldevil said:

Rush was 'asked to leave' in May 2017 - Thorne had a new contract in Jan 2018 - If it was in the original contract I can't believe it was still in the new one?

The money was to WBA, not George Thorne.

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I REALLY hope Lampard hasn't made his decision on Thorne already and there's a reason he's not been close to the first team squad so far

I’m sure he hasn’t totally, and I’m sure he regularly sees George train/ play for the u23s, but he can only judge George on what he sees in him right now, and I’ll trust his judgement on him. Our views are prefaced by how good he was in the past, whereas Frank will see the situation more objectively, and right now he’s either not good enough or not fit enough to play in this team. You always have the hope that he will get back to something close to his best, even then he’ll be one of the best in the division, but when bird gets in the 18 ahead of you, you have to be concerned for him.

I can only go by what we've seen in the U23s, and to my mind he's looked on the whole slow and lethargic, not in brain or ability per se, or perhaps even willingness, but his legs look like they're running through treacle half the time. No way would he be able to get around the pitch in the pace of a Championship game. 

If he was anywhere near the first team reckoning he should be dominating the types of games we saw against Villa U23 last week, but sadly he wasn't. 

A great shame, I'm a big fan and I'd love to see him play for Derby again but I just can't see it and I've no idea what the answer is.

41 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

i can confirm from a reliable source that George Thorne is working to get to an adequate fitness level so that he can be sold in January.

What a strange thing to tell a player.

So the manager has told him 'get fit so we can sell you'? Sounds like a good motivational speech.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What a strange thing to tell a player.

So the manager has told him 'get fit so we can sell you'? Sounds like a good motivational speech.

Under the circumstances, maybe it's not that strange?  It seems more honourable than stringing him along on a wave of false promises?

"We'll see you through the process, and ultimately, we'll both benefit!" 

I'm sure GT would prefer to be wanted by another Championship club rather than only being tempting to League 2 clubs?  

37 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I can only go by what we've seen in the U23s, and to my mind he's looked on the whole slow and lethargic, not in brain or ability per se, or perhaps even willingness, but his legs look like they're running through treacle half the time. No way would he be able to get around the pitch in the pace of a Championship game. 

If he was anywhere near the first team reckoning he should be dominating the types of games we saw against Villa U23 last week, but sadly he wasn't. 

A great shame, I'm a big fan and I'd love to see him play for Derby again but I just can't see it and I've no idea what the answer is.

It’s a shame you are wrong.  

Butterfield is good as well. 

PS. For what it’s worth Holmes looked terrible in the U23s missing 2 sitters one on one in one game against PSV. 

Thorne and Butterfields footballing brains are way ahead of most. 

Max Bird also deserves his chance at times 

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Is he good/fit enough now for MLS football?  If he is, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing over there at some point in the future.

I think that I read somewhere that he'd been out to stay with Russell over the summer,  so putting 2+2 together (and possibly making 5!) it could be a possibility. 

Archived