George Thorne-No longer the player he was

BatRam

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, jimbobram said:

How do we know if he’s the same midfielder he’s not played for us for ages. U23 football isn’t the same. He needed a loan spell to get fit. Whether that’s to prove to us he can he’s good enough or to get a contract somewhere else. I feel for him, so much talent, so much potential, a fan favourite. Just some horrible injuries. 

Yes, fair comment. Dropping down a division to build up match fitness and confidence would be an idea. 

Unfortunately for George, he's not in the managers plans, which can only be based on how he's trained under Lampard, after all Frank has no reason to dislike the player.

1. He's out of contract come year end.

2. He's not exactly shining for the u-23's, steady at best.

3. If the Sam Rush court filings are to be believed, every 1st team appearance would cost us another £12.5k.

If he can fix himself up a deal in January, I'd let him go on a free, it's a real shame it's not worked here for him through no  fault of his own, but life as a pro is tough.

I hope he comes back and stuffs the doubters opinions down their throats, including mine, but I just don't see it based on the last 2 season's.

I say that with a heavy heart, as a big fan of what he had to offer.

The problem is you always think let Thorne go and he might return to form if he gets a decent run somewhere and we'll miss out on that. He's still sort of an age where he can forge a career again with a bit of luck.

We should have loaned him out in August to see what he had in his locker. Rotting in our 23s is no use to anyone. If he goes out in January he won't be be back, if he stays with us he'll just sit his contract out.

Need to let him go and move on. Plenty of youngsters to fill the bench and bring through. 

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Unfortunately for George, he's not in the managers plans, which can only be based on how he's trained under Lampard, after all Frank has no reason to dislike the player.

1. He's out of contract come year end.

2. He's not exactly shining for the u-23's, steady at best.

3. If the Sam Rush court filings are to be believed, every 1st team appearance would cost us another £12.5k.

If he can fix himself up a deal in January, I'd let him go on a free, it's a real shame it's not worked here for him through no  fault of his own, but life as a pro is tough.

I hope he comes back and stuffs the doubters opinions down their throats, including mine, but I just don't see it based on the last 2 season's.

I say that with a heavy heart, as a big fan of what he had to offer.

George Thorne’s contract is up until June 2020. Contracts for Ledley,Johnson,Butterfield,Bryson,Huddlestone,Roos and Nugent expire in June 2019.

Some good players running out of contract this season

Johnson, Bryson and Huddlestone have best chance of getting another contract. I would not be shocked if all three go but I expect all three to get another season extension if we do not get promoted. If we do get promoted then who knows? Johnson could go at Xmas along with Butters and Ledley.

Ollsen? Pearce? Anya? Mitchell? 

16 minutes ago, mozza said:

If i was a player i'd be phoning in sick today, went for a pee at 3am and stubbed my middle toe on the blanket box on the landing, can hardly walk now. 

How do you get your middle toe ahead of the other 4 lads? It's usually the big fella or the little one.

You see, this wouldn't happen to @Boycie up in Belper. Webbed feet innit bruv

25 minutes ago, mozza said:

If i was a player i'd be phoning in sick today, went for a pee at 3am and stubbed my middle toe on the blanket box on the landing, can hardly walk now. 

You wait to you lot up there advance to Night Storage Heaters. It’s the future I’m telling you.

15 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I don't think we can jump to any conclusions, given how Frank has handled bringing players into contention so far. He gave Marriott the time he needed until he was ready, and may be doing the same for George. 

23 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I trust Lampard to make the right decision for the player and the club

I'm sure Frank will be fully aware of George's abilities and will know how best to guide him back to fitness. The fact that George is still here suggests we haven't given up on him yet. 

36 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I don't think we can jump to any conclusions, given how Frank has handled bringing players into contention so far. He gave Marriott the time he needed until he was ready, and may be doing the same for George. 

I'm sure Frank will be fully aware of George's abilities and will know how best to guide him back to fitness. The fact that George is still here suggests we haven't given up on him yet. 

Agree with you entirely, but January will tell us exactly. If he stays I would assume that he has until the summer to fully convince the management that he can cut it still.

42 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I don't think we can jump to any conclusions, given how Frank has handled bringing players into contention so far. He gave Marriott the time he needed until he was ready, and may be doing the same for George

I'd love that to be the case.

Archived