George Thorne-No longer the player he was

BatRam

After watching George thorne in recent games , iv come to the sad conclusion that we need to sell george thorne. once one of the best midfielders in the league but hes a far cry from what he was tnight in the under 23's game.

Slow , negative passing , lack of movement , daft decisions.

He didnt look good enough to be in the u23 team.

With frank lampards style of fast, closing down and positive play , he'll never make the team.

Dont crucify me as i used to like him 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George Thorne was so good for us before those injuries, he could have been in the frame to play for England, and we might not have fallen off a cliff the season after Wembley. I'll always wonder how far he could have gone, he looked so brilliant at one point. He's finished now though, he'll never reach that level again.

35 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

After watching George thorne in recent games , iv come to the sad conclusion that we need to sell george thorne. once one of the best midfielders in the league but hes a far cry from what he was tnight in the under 23's game.

With frank lampards style of fast, closing down and positive play , he'll never make the team.

Let Frank be the judge of George, you can have your opinion 

My old hero a few seasons back, still thought he was good Clement era, but he hasn’t been the same player since. He was an all action defensive midfielder, but clearly injuries have taken their toll and he’s become a more immobile player. In defensive mid that ain’t nessercerily a problem so Tbf I haven’t lost all hope yet, but he has to become like Huddlestone- he controls games by reading them and vision, rather than the action destruction that Thorne used to. Imo if he managed that he’d be our second best defensive mid, but despite all his qualities I don’t think he was ever quite as good as Huddlestone is, nor will he ever be. But I hope he does find that adjustment and gain that level of passing range, he’ll still be a massive asset. Feel his days here are almost certainly numbered, till January to be precise mind.

How do we know if he’s the same midfielder he’s not played for us for ages. U23 football isn’t the same. He needed a loan spell to get fit. Whether that’s to prove to us he can he’s good enough or to get a contract somewhere else. I feel for him, so much talent, so much potential, a fan favourite. Just some horrible injuries. 

We need to be careful what we say about our players on here in my opinion. If Frank deems that George should move on then so be it. George is trying hard and not his fault if a manager playing a different style turns up. Players move in and out of teams. Ma Gers move in and out. They get paid good money and need to find the right club at the right time. 

George Thorne's passing and vision was there for all to see in the under 23s game and still think he's a good player.

Saying that I don't think he's going to be knocking on the 1st team door anytime just yet but....he is no less mobile than Huddlestone and therefore could still have a future here but to do that has to stay free from injury and maybe watch how simple Hudds makes it look sometimes, if he spends the rest of this season working hard and staying fit i see no reason why he can't have a chance maybe next season.

3 hours ago, Saity said:

George Thorne's passing and vision was there for all to see in the under 23s game and still think he's a good player.

Saying that I don't think he's going to be knocking on the 1st team door anytime just yet but....he is no less mobile than Huddlestone and therefore could still have a future here but to do that has to stay free from injury and maybe watch how simple Hudds makes it look sometimes, if he spends the rest of this season working hard and staying fit i see no reason why he can't have a chance maybe next season.

I agree. Thought he looked better last night and he was feeding the forward line with some great through balls, which they weren't capitalising on.

Did get caught on the ball twice, though.

But definitely improving match by match. I hope he gets a decent loan move in January - needs to be pushed to get back to his best now.

We can't afford (in ffp terms) to have high wage players like Ledley, Wisdom, Thorne and Butterfield on books and not contributing.  I hope they all get moved on. I think they are all good players if played in team that suits their strengths. 

11 hours ago, TomSaint said:

Hmm. I have to disagree with you on most of this.

Yes he might be a little slower (but then Huds isn't the quickest and look at him fly)

Thorne is playing in the U23's, last night he put some sublime passes into players paths and he also put passes into areas where no one was. The latter were his vision of where that player should be running. Did it make him look silly? not really, if that had been in the first team I am sure Mount or Wilson would have been straight on it and on the same wavelength. It reminded me of John Gregory when he arrived far too experienced for the team he arrived at and was putting passes into spaces where no one was running into.

U23 football in so different and only if he gets a chance in the first team will it show if he still has what it takes at this level.

I am not sure he will get this chance but they keep playing him at U23 so who knows if he has a future here or it is with a view to sell/loan

42 minutes ago, Gritty said:

We can't afford (in ffp terms) to have high wage players like Ledley, Wisdom, Thorne and Butterfield on books and not contributing.  I hope they all get moved on. I think they are all good players if played in team that suits their strengths. 

Wisdom not contributing? He’s in and around the first team and plays. 

Given age alone, I would think George is a potential successor/understudy to Huddlestone. Ledley - although started at the beginning of the season - is a stop gap, and bradley could easily be off at the end of the season.

Makes most economic sense if the club can develop George to the point where he can come in for hudds next season if needs be and be the heir apparent.

11 hours ago, Rampage said:

We need to be careful what we say about our players on here in my opinion. If Frank deems that George should move on then so be it. George is trying hard and not his fault if a manager playing a different style turns up. Players move in and out of teams. Ma Gers move in and out. They get paid good money and need to find the right club at the right time. 

Agreed - I keep referencing Luke Shaw as part of the Thorne discussion - Horrible injuries and has taken him 2-3 years to get back to a proper level - He kept getting pasted by Mourinho for not being up to it last season but this year has been one of the stars of their team

The talent is there with Thorne - It might just need time - He might need a fresh start somewhere else - We'll see - But I trust Lampard to make the right decision for the player and the club

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Did get caught on the ball twice, though.

This is the big difference between Thorne and Huddlestone for me - Both have great vision, a cracking shot etc - Thorne was always a better defensive cover than Huddlestone - But Huddlestone seems to have more time on the ball than anyone else on the pitch - He just seems to have more space somehow - Probably his positioning - And his ball control at times is still absolutely Premier League quality

Might be simler geouge thorn were he wants to play but his body wont allow him. But he is going to have to learn to play different side of his game. Maybe he might not be as mobile as used to be.

But maybe work on his upper body strengh were he can be that enforcer type player but able to spray passes around the pitch.

Archived