Ethan Ampadu - Joined RB Leipzig

Parsnip

2 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

And replace him with which one of our excellent left sided players??

Good business, sell him and when Wilson leaves in May we will have no decent wingers.....

Well when we sold Vydra did we replace him with nobody? Or did we spend some of the money on Marriott and Waghorn?

So I'd sell Lawrence and reinvest it on another left winger.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm gutted we'll have our promising winger back from injury. He is still second in assists with the best minutes per assist in the squad; wins more in the air than any of our attacking players. Defensively he's our best winger - covers more ground, actually tracks his man, most interceptions, 2nd most tackles.

And as a team we have missed him a heck of a lot ! 

38 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Because he's not as good as Hughes...

As much as I think Mount is a sensational player, a future England regular and definitely our current first choice CM - I'd probably still be picking Hughes ahead of him if he was still here though...

Whereas Bennett is a perfectly decent top-end championship winger - Not as good as Wilson/Laurence/Waghorn but same level as Jozefzoon for me (different kind of winger though)

Plus with Bogle's mostly terrible crossing ability it'd be nice to have someone ahead of him who can cross - Especially now we have Marriott on the end of them

Ok fair enough, just not sure he is the future of the club but as you say "decent Championship player"

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Well when we sold Vydra did we replace him with nobody? Or did we spend some of the money on Marriott and Waghorn?

So I'd sell Lawrence and reinvest it on another left winger.

But how much do you honestly think we would get for him and who out there is good enough to replace him?

40 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Because he's still young. 7 years younger than Forsyth, 5 years younger than Malone, 2 years younger than Holmes, 3 years younger than Wisdom, 11 years younger than Davies, 2 years younger  than Evans, 9 years younger than Ledley and 8 years younger than Pearce... yet he's still played in more games than all of those this season.

In total, he's made 49 league apps for us. Very few have played that many games out of those with us for "a year or so". In fact extending to just over one and a half years, only Davies (53), Lawrence (61) and Huddlestone (61) have played more than Bennett. We've signed or loaned in 17 players during that time. So 3/17 = "most of our squad that have only been here a year or so"?

I think it's only right to judge Bennett on his contribution this year. He only played 100 minutes of league football for Derby in the 4 years previous. Judging him on his 28 appearances between the ages of 15 and 17 is incredibly harsh.

Totally understand what you are saying, i just feel he isn't progressing enough to warrant a first team selection.

Oh and cant compare him to Ledley (4th choice CDM), Davies (missed all season injured), Evans (see Davies) and Pearce (never good enough)

1 hour ago, Derbyram1 said:

But how much do you honestly think we would get for him and who out there is good enough to replace him?

I'd happily sell him for what we paid for him to be honest.

As for other players out there. I don't know. That's not my job. 

I'd imagine Lampard would though.

32 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd happily sell him for what we paid for him to be honest.

As for other players out there. I don't know. That's not my job. 

I'd imagine Lampard would though.

Frank knows his football - which is why he will stay and has been his first choice winger for the majority of the season ?

6 hours ago, David said:

I’ve never wanted us to sign a player as much as I do now.

Ampadu du du push pinapple shake the tree

Ampadu du du push pinapple bring coffee

To the left to the right jump up and down and to the knees

Come and dance every night sing with a hula melody

Kill me.

I’ve been following Ampadu’s journey since he was at Exeter and it was no surprise that a big club signed him. Different positions but for me, he is potentially better than both Wilson and Mount. If we get him it will be interesting to see where we play him because he’s very good in three or four positions. I don’t think Chelsea will let him go though as Fabregas and Cahill will be leaving so Ampadu will cover those positions.

On 01/01/2019 at 13:36, Inglorius said:

As I said before in another thread as a novel idea let's start cultivating our academy players and start employing scouts who can actually identify talent with a view to potential development without having to pay ridiculous transfer fees.

Agreed.....except Chelsea (Man City, Man U, Arsenal) are already doing this at levels we can't compete with.  They go around the world hoovering up talent at ridiculously young ages.

Years ago maybe it was a potential gap to be exploited; but now anyone with a tiny bit of talent is shoe-horned into an academy 'just in case' and snapped-up by bigger clubs if they show promise before they are even 8 or 9.

Unsurprising that managers who can  pay £100 million to buy ready made internationals, still don't give them a chance even though they have already beaten 100-1 odds to get a contract.  Why wouldnt we take them when they are probably of a quality we couldnt attract? The loans we already have are classy and better than our own academy players so even though in an ideal world we would like to use our own players; I have no problem if we carry on utilising the players we otherwise couldn't attract. 

Archived