When You Were A Teenage Ram (14-16)

SK47

34 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Same era mate but surely you remember John “dally” Duncan slotting at least one in a 4-1 against forest when they were decent and we were truly atrocious   ?

(don’t forget don masson for the epitome of hopelessness)

Yes I remember Duncan very well, and almost put his name down, but heros were those 3. Buckley and Langan were fantastic attcking full backs (they wouldn't be out of place in today's team) and Steve Powell is one of my all time favourite players. Possibly not the most gifted. Certainly not the fastest. But the bravest footballer I've ever seen in any team. And a local lad too. I'm desperately waiting for RamsTV meets Steve Powell, almost as much as Kevin Hector. Come on @OwenB87

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was lucky supporting the Rams through the 70s so many hero’s then with king Kev and Hinton on the wing the problem in those days were getting to Derby if we couldn’t get a lift it was a Bus job leaving at 9 in the morning and getting back around 8 as there was no direct bus in those days not sure if there is now it was well worth it 

I was 14 in 1956!   We could only afford to go to a few games a season and I don’t remember a lot about it - all the kids around me were Leicester fans, and wouldn’t stoop to talking about football with a mere girl anyway!

I do remember my dad enthusing about Jackie Stamps and I saw him a bit earlier than 56. I also remember Jackie Lee because he lived down the road from us. When he got his England cap, it was displayed in the window of his family’s bike shop and I saw it every day to and from school.

My dad was a local referee and I have a photo of the two teams taken in 1952 when Derby played a preseason game against our village team, Sileby Town, and my dad ran the line. 

Im eternally grateful to my dad that when his family moved from Shardlow, when he was 8, he remained a Derby fan although all his brothers switched to Leicester City! I think my son still has nightmares about what could have happened!

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

1995... best year of my life. My heroes were Igor Stimac and Damon Albarn. We only bloody went up!

Damon Albarn? Even if Liam Gallagher was the correct answer!!

That said, Blur are actually pretty decent, just that in 1995 they were just poncey students to me. 

Twas the last era to have proper popular culture heroes. There have been none since.

Amen.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

I honestly try to block out that day.

As do we all mate - still got a photo on my phone of the 2 ukrainian rams just behind me and remember speaking to a lad who had flown back from Aus coz his family emigrated the day before the 2007 match and he'd made a solemn promise "not to miss the next one". People travelled literally globally to see that game. ?

I was 14 in  '74 and have great memories of the 74/75 champions as a season ticket holder in the Normo end.All of that team are still heroes.It was during the 71/72 season that i began going to games regularly.Thankfully lived in Derby all of my life,so never had trek for hours to get to home games.

On 05/11/2018 at 20:19, SK47 said:

I remember when I was a young rams fan about 14-16, me and my mate who was also a Derby fan and the same age, we would travel up on the train from Cornwall to watch games and then do the journey home after (die hards). Even though we wasn't the best team in the league, we had some players that I just loved for different reasons, some random, some warranted.

Grzegorz Rasiak - The lanky bean, tricky goal scoring machine. When we sold him, I remember being absolutey gutted.

Morten Bisgaard - I loved his name and the fact he had a trick or 2!

Marco Reich - He scored that freekick against Millwall. 

Junior - He was Brazilian.. Had yellow hair... And again, he had yellow hair. Amazing.

Tom Huddlestone - He was about 16 years old and an absolute giant. And not to mention he could play A bit!

Idiakez - One of the best freekick takers I've ever seen for Derby, He was Spanish.. and he wore Joma football boots. 

So, When you were 14-16, who were your Derby idols at the time? 

The same players for me.

The big moments I remember from then was getting free tickets from my PE teacher to see the Rotherham game October 04 and thinking how awful Lee Camp was and then around the same time being at school and walking past some Scouts in full Derby training gear and wishing I was in the school football team. 

Archived