Do you think Frank is here for the long run?

JoeDerby

Is Lampard here to stay?  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 06/11/2018 at 16:27, ilkleyram said:

I would doubt that Frank will ever see his contract out - who does? Aaron Ramsey is the exception that proves the rule.

Mel will offer him a contract extension, this season if we carry on doing well or go up, which he will take unless he has a firm offer from a club giving him a better opportunity - 'better' will be better for him professionally, better for his family (don't forget he has two daughters that live with their mother as well as a new baby) and better for him financially. And I would bet, in that order.  I don't think there is a better professional move for him in England for another season at least.  The big clubs will see him as too inexperienced and the mid/lower EPL clubs will all come with desperation and baggage especially after a manager sacking. That will only change from his perspective if we haven't gone up by the end of next season.

His employability to big clubs in England and abroad will only rise significantly if we go up and he then does well in the EPL. So, at the moment, his and our ambitions are aligned and will continue to be if we go up and do ok. The sad thing is that they will get out of alignment if we do well (because bigger/wealthier clubs will be tempted) or do badly, because Frank will want to protect his reputation.

If I were Mel I would offer Frank and his team a contract extension of a couple of years by the end of the season and start doing some proper succession planning, probably for around 2020/2021, with earlier options. If he lasts much longer we will have been riding a wave the likes of which we haven't seen before.

Your best post ilkleyram. Excellent

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Archied said:

Are you mad? They are where they are because an owner flouted FairPlay rules for a very good coach who has them at pinnacle of what they can be , lampard is on a hiding to nothing going there to replace Eddie Howe , at Derby he has an owner that will back him  ,facilities to match the very best clubs already in place ,a very good ground in place that can easily be extended to 40 odd thousand capacity and a fan base that at its worst is much bigger than Bournemouth s at its best ,a club with real history , it has the potential to go better than Bournemouth easily and given that frank will be given god like status in a real football town for just matching where Bournemouth are now then it’s a no brainer ,, Bournemouth are a flash story that everyone knows the bubble will burst and they will end up back where 12 thou max crowds anchors you at , where as clubs like Derby are a burst bubble that everyone is expecting the rise of again at some point ,,,

get a grip mate ,I’m not stupid enough to think Derby are the extent of lamps ambition and personal potential but he is no flash in the pan rowett type who desperately needs to get a quick crack at the prem before he tarnishes ,, there’s a reason the players are buying into him in the way they are 

It was a joke ffs but just to bite, Bournemouth are currently 6th in the premier league. He or anyone else who are starting their managerial career would be mad not to take it as everything is in place there.

There aren’t any other clubs outside the top six who are successful and play good football like Bournemouth do. 

Lampard won’t jump straight into a top six job, he will have another club after Derby before making a step up to a big club. 

As for the Rowett comparison, how do you know Lampard isn’t the same? Do you know him personally? Derby were supposed to be Rowett’s dream job yet he left us and bought into his way before the collapse. Let’s remember Frank left West Ham to join Chelsea for the big bucks and did the same to Chelsea when joining Man City... then did the same again to join New York City so he isn’t exactly innocent in that department.  I wouldn’t blame him for joining another club if the opportunity arose just like I don’t really blame Rowett for leaving. Lampard doesn’t love Derby and has no affection for the club, it’s just a job that he will probably just the start of a long career. There’s nothing wrong with that, we’d  all be hypocrites if we didn’t say that we wouldn’t leave our jobs for a much bigger and better paid paid one.

I think there is no point looking too far ahead, I think it's best to just live the moment . As shown by the recent Leicester tragedy you can never take the future for granted in life so it's best just to enjoy and make the most of the present, as what' the point looking into the future all the time when it is impossible to predict what will happen and  it means you don't truly get to appreciate what you have at the moment. Even if he goes at the end of the year  I'm not too bothered as we will have probably had a great season, and if we haven't had a great season with the players we have then he would not be considered a big loss anyway.  If I had to predict how long he will stay I would say 2-3 years.

People say he'll take the best offer for him, but hasn't he demonstrated loyalty? 

I think the key would be whether or not he continues to make improvements here. If that dries up then I think that he would probably go. 

I don't think he expected us to get promoted this year, so if we don't, but are still making improvements, then I think he'll stay. 

But, if his family stay away, then it may become tricky for him if the commute should adversely affect his family. 

15 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

People say he'll take the best offer for him, but hasn't he demonstrated loyalty? 

I think the key would be whether or not he continues to make improvements here. If that dries up then I think that he would probably go. 

I don't think he expected us to get promoted this year, so if we don't, but are still making improvements, then I think he'll stay. 

But, if his family stay away, then it may become tricky for him if the commute should adversely affect his family. 

why wouldn't he expect promotion with the quality players we have got , I know it 's his first season of management but he seems ambitious and he has a great coaching team as well so I am sure he is thinking  we have a decent chance of going up. On paper I wouldn't swap our squad with any other championship squad, we just need to be able to grind out ugly wins away from home to go with our home wins and we should be in with a great chance of finishing in the top 2.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

It was a joke ffs but just to bite, Bournemouth are currently 6th in the premier league. He or anyone else who are starting their managerial career would be mad not to take it as everything is in place there.

There aren’t any other clubs outside the top six who are successful and play good football like Bournemouth do. 

Lampard won’t jump straight into a top six job, he will have another club after Derby before making a step up to a big club. 

As for the Rowett comparison, how do you know Lampard isn’t the same? Do you know him personally? Derby were supposed to be Rowett’s dream job yet he left us and bought into his way before the collapse. Let’s remember Frank left West Ham to join Chelsea for the big bucks and did the same to Chelsea when joining Man City... then did the same again to join New York City so he isn’t exactly innocent in that department.  I wouldn’t blame him for joining another club if the opportunity arose just like I don’t really blame Rowett for leaving. Lampard doesn’t love Derby and has no affection for the club, it’s just a job that he will probably just the start of a long career. There’s nothing wrong with that, we’d  all be hypocrites if we didn’t say that we wouldn’t leave our jobs for a much bigger and better paid paid one.

I feel like the bit in bold is a bit of a misrepresentation of his career. He left West Ham after getting a lot of guff from their fans and to advance his career. He left Chelsea after his contract ran out and I personally got the impression he was nudged out of the club. Also I thought he was on loan at city from New York? And I'm certainly not going to blame him for going on having a year long holiday in new york to cap his career. 

You are right in that he holds no affection for the club and if the right offer came along he'd leave. I do however don't think he'd jump to any old club for a quick pay check or to get a quick win on the CV.

The thing with Rowett wasn't just him leaving. Rowett hevily leaned on his reputation  as a former player. It's why I think he got so much slack at times and why he didn't get much stick for selling Hughes off on the cheap. Then after all that guff about "committing to a project at Derby" to jump for a club in the same division to ostensibly get an "easy" promotion is a bit slimy to say the least. 

8 hours ago, richinspain said:

Surely it's an Android phone? ?

True. People who buy iPhones can no longer afford to go to gigs in the first place.

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

Joke or a troll ?

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

While I agree with some of what you are saying.

We all know that due to his success as a player with Chelsea that they are the ones in his heart. However his time as a player is over and he is now in his first managerial position. I would like to think he will have some sort of affinity with Derby just because of that.

I am under no illusion that he will not do a Wenger and stay for years, but I would like to think wherever he ends up he will always look back with fond memories.

Archived