Rooney 120th Cap

ScamRam

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

Don't get me wrong here Adam. I'm not questioning Wayne's generosity.

I'm questioning him and the FA putting this game on for his personal foundation.

"The match, which takes place on Thursday 15 November (8pm kick-off), has been designated as the Wayne Rooney Foundation International" 

Players getting caps for playing in the Wayne Rooney Foundation International.

Like I said, make it an exhibition game. Or don't re-call him, pick a full strength squad and just give him the money.

Wayne has enough avenues to raise money for his foundation without the FA giving him an international to do it.

8 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

When I asked for help I couldn't afford to fund it myself. 

Anyone who has asked, has their money back, the rest is in a pot. In fact the whole 3,600 USD is in a pot. I personally put back in the money I paid for editing. So once the book is published the amount will be royalty sales + 3.6K - the only time it will be clear I haven't shafted anyone is when its out and finished.

Now I'm in a position where I can afford to fund it I would but I don't need to.

I don't think it's a mistake but some might, it's in the hands of a group of people who will make much more money than I could have marketing it on my own. The downside of that is I don't have any control over timing. I can't push even if I wanted to.

Not sure how it's come around to talking about my book but you'll understand why I'm answering and why I'm a touch defensive. 

I've no idea how much the CEO of Wayne's foundation earns but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the CEO had no charity background and had the last name Rooney.

Maybe worth doing a bit of research first then before having a go at the foundation, the accounts are available for public viewing, as is the chair of the company. I’m sure the reason you are a touch defensive is that people make assumptions without knowing all the facts. 

3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Don't get me wrong here Adam. I'm not questioning Wayne's generosity.

I'm questioning him and the FA putting this game on for his personal foundation.

"The match, which takes place on Thursday 15 November (8pm kick-off), has been designated as the Wayne Rooney Foundation International" 

Players getting caps for playing in the Wayne Rooney Foundation International.

Like I said, make it an exhibition game. Or don't re-call him, pick a full strength squad and just give him the money.

Wayne has enough avenues to raise money for his foundation without the FA giving him an international to do it.

Fair enough, I for one though am quite happy that they have, so will leave it there ?

1 hour ago, Anon said:

He isn't usually though, and therein lies the problem. He has retired. He shouldn't get to decide as and when to un-retire temporarily in order to participate in certain marquee fixtures. It cheapens the value of an international cap. That isn't an opinion, it's an objective fact that allowing someone who wouldn't otherwise have been selected to play for purely sentimental reasons devalues the international cap. How good Rooney has been, or still is, is completely irrelevant. He wouldn't have been selected under normal circumstances.

I also severely doubt that this would be happening if the opponent was anyone other than the USA. A very lucrative market where Rooney is busy expanding his brand. Call me a cynic, I'll call you naive.

I am naive, but not in this. In fact (as much as I respect what @ronnieronalde says) I’m so not naive that I know perfectly well that this isn’t about charity at all. Of course there’s easier ways for Wayne to raise more for his charity. I’m vwry surprised this has turned into a thread about the effectiveness of charities. Every celeb has their name attached to a charity these days. It’s what you do when you’ve got more money then you know what to do with. You get some tax benefits, and you get a feel good factor. Why not?

But this is about Wayne rooneys global brand. I totally get that. He probably wants to be the next David beckham in that respect, and we’ll see him in his pants on advertising boards soon. 

He’s not going into management, so he’s thinking about his future career. 

The point is, I don’t begrudge him any of it. 

And what is ‘retirement’ in terms of international football anyway. It’s just ‘I’d like you to not select me any more.’ So there’s nothing stopping you unretiring at the drop of a hat - ‘actually, you can select me now if you want.’ It’s not like you sign a document saying ‘henceforth and here on out, I will not be available for selection, til death do me part.’

as @eddie says (and if could like his post twice, I would), it’s really just the anti Rooney brigade that are anti this. 

Just now, AdamRam said:

Maybe worth doing a bit of research first then before having a go at the foundation, the accounts are available for public viewing, as is the chair of the company. I’m sure the reason you are a touch defensive is that people make assumptions without knowing all the facts. 

I'm not having a go at HIS foundation. My point on foundations in general is that there are an incredible number of personal benefits to doing so. 

I'm having a go at the situation. the Wayne Rooney Foundation International.

I think you think I'm anti Rooney or am criticising him? No I'm not. 

I don't mind assumptions being made. I've said all along it's fair enough. I've made a lot of mistakes with this project, communication (or lack of) has been my weakest point without a doubt. 

I'm not defensive because of assumptions, I'm defensive because people are still occasionally using it as a stick to beat me with despite me answering any comments every time its brought up.

30 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

In a nutshell, I'm not convinced at all there is an overall plan to eradicate anything. Too many livelihoods depend on the sector staying "strong"

Indeed. Too many vested interests all round. See also, cures for cancer. 

As for Rooney, I admit I don't like him and was sick of hearing about him at least ten years ago, so this kind of event was never going to appeal. 

14 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Genuinely interested, have you got a link? 

1 hour ago, MK said:

The thing is, you say you'd work for a charity for £36k but have you actually? Sure there are people out there who genuinely don't care about money as long as they are making ends meet but most people at the top of their sector dont want to take a pay cut to move into the charity sector which means having to pay top wages to get the top employees. 

I can't speak for Save the Children, or any other large charity like that, but the charities i've worked for in the past a good CEO has been important for setting the direction, employing good managers and ensuring that everyone is motivated to do their jobs well. I'm sure we've all worked in organisations where there is some idiot running the show and it feeds down and corrupts everyone eventually. Charities are no different, you need good people and good people cost more.

Again, i cant speak for charities that i dont know about but most funds we receive are restricted, meaning they HAVE TO be spent on the cause. This doesn't mean "here you are love, there's a tenner", which is how I imagine you are measuring 'direct help'. It covers the whole project with all the associated costs - charities don't get things for free, we have to pay for things just like other companies.

I haven't.

I've applied to Shelter, Centre Point, Crisis and Big Issue. Letting them all know it's not only a passion but a life changing direction I'm looking to take.

I have no experience. I don't get an interview. I'm sure they'll all happily take my call if I'm offering them a cut of book sales.

I'm currently looking for volunteer opportunities that will lead to me getting in at the right level. Telesales fundraising where I'm taught to "act" while not deferring from a script and being told I need to go to the toliet before my shift starts, isn't my idea of the right experience.

It's a short/mid and long term goal of mine. I will end up working for a charity, it might have to be my own.

47 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I am naive, but not in this. In fact (as much as I respect what @ronnieronalde says) I’m so not naive that I know perfectly well that this isn’t about charity at all. Of course there’s easier ways for Wayne to raise more for his charity. I’m vwry surprised this has turned into a thread about the effectiveness of charities. Every celeb has their name attached to a charity these days. It’s what you do when you’ve got more money then you know what to do with. You get some tax benefits, and you get a feel good factor. Why not?

But this is about Wayne rooneys global brand. I totally get that. He probably wants to be the next David beckham in that respect, and we’ll see him in his pants on advertising boards soon. 

He’s not going into management, so he’s thinking about his future career. 

The point is, I don’t begrudge him any of it. 

And what is ‘retirement’ in terms of international football anyway. It’s just ‘I’d like you to not select me any more.’ So there’s nothing stopping you unretiring at the drop of a hat - ‘actually, you can select me now if you want.’ It’s not like you sign a document saying ‘henceforth and here on out, I will not be available for selection, til death do me part.’

as @eddie says (and if could like his post twice, I would), it’s really just the anti Rooney brigade that are anti this. 

I am not anti Rooney. It’s a lazy argument. 

30 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I haven't.

I've applied to Shelter, Centre Point, Crisis and Big Issue. Letting them all know it's not only a passion but a life changing direction I'm looking to take.

I have no experience. I don't get an interview. I'm sure they'll all happily take my call if I'm offering them a cut of book sales.

I'm currently looking for volunteer opportunities that will lead to me getting in at the right level. Telesales fundraising where I'm taught to "act" while not deferring from a script and being told I need to go to the toliet before my shift starts, isn't my idea of the right experience.

It's a short/mid and long term goal of mine. I will end up working for a charity, it might have to be my own.

Good luck to you sir. The whole gaining experience to get the experience thing does my head in. Volunteering is (unfortunately) the best way to get it. At least you've not been totally put off by your views of charities that you'd avoid them all together. You're right that some could be run better (like in all industries there are some failures), if you can change it from the inside all the better. 

1 hour ago, MK said:

Is this Southgate putting his foot down? Hopefully Mason will make his debut in a man-of-the-match performance and bag a couple of goals, and he'll come off to a standing ovation on 90 minutes to allow a short run out for Rooney in injury time.

21 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Is this Southgate putting his foot down? Hopefully Mason will make his debut in a man-of-the-match performance and bag a couple of goals, and he'll come off to a standing ovation on 90 minutes to allow a short run out for Rooney in injury time.

And then be stripped of his cap and his goal when FIFA decree that it's just an exhibition match.

Archived