Rooney 120th Cap

ScamRam

I have been a reader for so many years but have joined today as I cannot believe there is not a thread about Rooney's supposed appearance at Wembley, as an England International against USA, to support his charitable foundation. Beyond belief we are cheapening an International Cap

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Rooney's purchasing a cap in exchange for some publicity and proceeds for his foundation. Bit weird but international football bores the crap out of me except for the two tournaments so this old root couldn't give a flying shiz what they do.

No problem with this at all, raises money for charity and an England great gets a deserved send off, in a non competitive fixture. Isn’t right when players who have played and scored so many for their country disappear with a whimper after playing their last game and being dropped.

Also it’s completely written for him to be subbed to an ovation at 70 mins and pass the baton over to mount for his debut, such is the way of things

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

No problem with this at all, raises money for charity and an England great gets a deserved send off, in a non competitive fixture. Isn’t right when players who have played and scored so many for their country disappear with a whimper after playing their last game and being dropped.

Also it’s completely written for him to be subbed to an ovation at 70 mins and pass the baton over to mount for his debut, such is the way of things

Rooney chose to retire from international football. If he did "disappear with a whimper", it was his own decision to do so.

"It raises money for charity" is not an adequate explanation. Soccer Aid raises lots of money for charity every year and does it without cheapening the value of an international cap. If this is what international friendlies have been reduced to, then we should stop awarding caps for playing in them. You'd think the manager might want to see how one of the potential alternatives to Kane would perform, but no, Callum Wilson can get screwed because Wazza wants his send off.

God, some of you are miserable buggers this morning. It’s essentially a testimonial. Why not? 

My bigger issue is that the whole football programme has to be put on hold for a weekend for the sake of this testimonial. But I don’t begrudge Wayne Rooney one last match, and maybe one last over head kick or something special. 

58 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

You all have a choice, no one is forcing anyone to pay to go, or watch on TV.  Get over it, it ain't going to ruin your day.

Not a compelling argument.

You have a choice, no one is forcing anyone to read this thread or reply. Get over it, it ain't going to ruin your day.

11 minutes ago, ScamRam said:

Fair enough, thought more people would be angry about it, but if you are not that bothered about Internationals then I can understand. 

Who said we're not bothered about internationals? Is it a competitive game btw?

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who said we're not bothered about internationals? Is it a competitive game btw?

It's an international friendly, for which full international caps are awarded. The statistics from the game will be added to the official records and affect each teams FIFA ranking. Saying it's just a friendly doesn't acknowledge the clear distinction between how domestic and international friendlies are treated.

The England national team play 10/11 games in total per season excluding the finals of international tournaments. Surely, with such limited opportunities to test new players and alternative strategies, the England coach should be looking to use friendlies to prepare for upcoming competitive fixtures? If international friendlies are to be reduced to glorified testimonials, then they should be treated as such, and no longer be considered as official international fixtures. Otherwise I'm going to demand the immediate return of Nick Blackman to the Derby starting line up based on the double hat trick he scored in Shaun Barker's testimonial.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

It's an international friendly, for which full international caps are awarded. The statistics from the game will be added to the official records and affect each teams FIFA ranking. Saying it's just a friendly doesn't acknowledge the clear distinction between how domestic and international friendlies are treated.

The England national team play 10/11 games in total per season excluding the finals of international tournaments. Surely, with such limited opportunities to test new players and alternative strategies, the England coach should be looking to use friendlies to prepare for upcoming competitive fixtures? If international friendlies are to be reduced to glorified testimonials, then they should be treated as such, and no longer be considered as official international fixtures. Otherwise I'm going to demand the immediate return of Nick Blackman to the Derby starting line up based on the double hat trick he scored in Shaun Barker's testimonial.

But it’s not like rooney’s an old, fat Ronaldo. He’s actually playing really well in the mls. You could argue he’s actually wasn’t he’s way back into contention for selection and feels he can do a job for England. 

It wont be like we’re playing with 10 men. I think Rooney deserves a bit more respect than that. From a competitive point of view, are we a more competitive team for playing Rooney, or someone I tried like maybe mount? 

Yes playing mount is good for the future, but for the here and now, you’re argument is that we’re making a mockery of a game that has implications, cos we’re not playing to win. But that’s not what’s happening. We’ve probably got more chance of winning with rooney than by doing the standard friendly fare of playing 11 unried and untested kids in an experimental formation. 

For the future, it’s maybe one game less that we could have had trying out some new players. But that’s not the argument you’re making. 

3 hours ago, Anon said:

Rooney chose to retire from international football. If he did "disappear with a whimper", it was his own decision to do so.

"It raises money for charity" is not an adequate explanation. Soccer Aid raises lots of money for charity every year and does it without cheapening the value of an international cap. If this is what international friendlies have been reduced to, then we should stop awarding caps for playing in them. You'd think the manager might want to see how one of the potential alternatives to Kane would perform, but no, Callum Wilson can get screwed because Wazza wants his send off.

Some people though are quite happy to give him the opportunity for a send off in recognition of being the most capped outfield player we have ever had.

Does it really reduce the value of an international cap? How often if it ever going to happen, it’s a one off for a player who gave his all for England over the past decade, well done to the FA for allowing this.

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Some people though are quite happy to give him the opportunity for a send off in recognition of being the most capped outfield player we have ever had.

Does it really reduce the value of an international cap? How often if it ever going to happen, it’s a one off for a player who gave his all for England over the past decade, well done to the FA for allowing this.

But he decided to retire. He hasn't been deprived of a cap. He decided he didn't want to put the work in to getting any more.

Have a charity match, invite current England and US internationals to take part but don't give someone a game in a full international just because he's got a charity.

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

But it’s not like rooney’s an old, fat Ronaldo. He’s actually playing really well in the mls. You could argue he’s actually wasn’t he’s way back into contention for selection and feels he can do a job for England. 

He shouldn't have retired from international football then.

It wont be like we’re playing with 10 men. I think Rooney deserves a bit more respect than that. From a competitive point of view, are we a more competitive team for playing Rooney, or someone I tried like maybe mount? 

I'm not disrespecting Rooney. He's still plenty good enough to be playing for England. He would likely have been selected for most England squads in the last year maybe gone to the World Cup had he not chosen to retire.

Yes playing mount is good for the future, but for the here and now, you’re argument is that we’re making a mockery of a game that has implications, cos we’re not playing to win. But that’s not what’s happening. We’ve probably got more chance of winning with rooney than by doing the standard friendly fare of playing 11 unried and untested kids in an experimental formation. 

As Peter Shilton said in his objection to this, it's about the precedent it sets rather than the incident in isolation. The reason being given by Rooney himself and by the FA for this is that it's for charity and is a one off, not that Rooney may have made a mistake and wants to be properly considered for international selection again.

It already annoys me that modern footballers feel it necessary to curate their departure from international football either because their fragile egos can't stand the prospect of being dropped or because their agent can get them a better club contract without the possibility of international commitments. Now we have a player using an international fixture to curate their own farewell moment having already retired. This is John Terry being subbed in the 26th minute levels of self indulgence.

9 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

But he decided to retire. He hasn't been deprived of a cap. He decided he didn't want to put the work in to getting any more.

Have a charity match, invite current England and US internationals to take part but don't give someone a game in a full international just because he's got a charity.

Why the focus on the cap? He already has 120, he is not coming back for a competitive match, he is just using this as an opportunity to say goodbye, the FA to recognise his contribution and use the proceeds of the game for good causes.

I still can’t see the problem, why not give this opportunity to one of our best ever players to represent the country.

Archived