Homeless guy

RamNut

45 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Appalling. Yesterday i put a post on and then removed it about the actions of a couple of guys treating a homeless guy in Derby appallingly. 

Having read subsequent posts (not the ones taking the mick out me mind :-D)  about how we treat people i think its worth sharing.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/watch-cruel-moment-homeless-man-2314351

As alpha said we could all be better people at times, im guilty of head down walking past homeless people at times, but there are ways to behave and ways not.

Sickening, and you know what annoys me as well? The telegraph posts it knowing full well people will watch it, and then gives the guy filming it anonymity and a chance to say sorry.....  

How about the Telegraph said to the chap, "tell you what, how about you come to the homeless centre, volunteer for a day, show some remorse and we will report that instead?"

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Sickening, and you know what annoys me as well? The telegraph posts it knowing full well people will watch it, and then gives the guy filming it anonymity and a chance to say sorry.....  

How about the Telegraph said to the chap, "tell you what, how about you come to the homeless centre, volunteer for a day, show some remorse and we will report that instead?"

Or feed him to the streets. He'd get a good perspective at 3 am when his arse is twitching because it will dawn on him that he now outside the circle and everything can be a bit more like the Wild West than he thought existed. 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

That would be a more responsible and grown up type of journalism eh?

But sadly that's not the way the media works any more.

That story would not incense people, and incensed people do not engage with their website. And engagement with their website means clicks and clicks mean advertising revenue. Ad revenue means their business doesn't go bust.

If we ever wonder why society is more polarised than at any time in living memory, we only have to look at the state of our media in the internet age to understand that they aggressively drive that agenda to ensure their continued existence. ?

Off topic I know...

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

That would be a more responsible and grown up type of journalism eh?

But sadly that's not the way the media works any more.

It never did. At least not in my lifetime.

It would make a good documentary film but how old is the saying "Today's news is tomorrow's fish & chip paper"?

News is about the big, quick impact and twas ever thus.

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

I am sure different people will be able to get access to different things. Some more resourceful than others etc. But me personally I give money but I don't think anyone giving anything is wrong in the slightest. If you're trying to help then it should be appreciated. If it's not then it's possible the person is a knobber or maybe is just angry at the world 

This. If you're giving something, whether its food or money or a treat for their dog, whatever, I think most people would appreciate the thought and the fact you're trying to help.

The fact that there's a 10 page conversation on how best to help people has given me a lot of heart. 

40 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It never did. At least not in my lifetime.

It would make a good documentary film but how old is the saying "Today's news is tomorrow's fish & chip paper"?

News is about the big, quick impact and twas ever thus.

I know what you are saying, but I'm talking about the seismic shift that has made the news media interactive, and at the same time the old model of physical copies being bought by individuals is dying off.

In the old days, sure a few people wrote angry and crazy letters to the papers, but it was never real-time and offered little or no engagement

Now the revenue is click/ad-based, the media have realised that they can deliberately engage people in running battles. Culture wars almost. They don't actually care who is right or wrong - as long as they are arguing about it and using their platform.

That's a totally different proposition to when the "big quick impact" was done to sell physical copies. It was "freddie starr ate my hamster" etc. Not  - here's a headline phrased as a question that will make you want to fight your neighbour...

• 1 month later...

Homeless update

I was visiting a primary school in Lancashire yesterday, the writing task for year 4 was to write a letter or email to the local MP to ask them to help out with the homeless crisis in Preston, there were long queues outside one of the Nottingham shelters last week, meanwhile Palace are offering ten beds per night for local homeless people

20 minutes ago, dog said:

Homeless update

I was visiting a primary school in Lancashire yesterday, the writing task for year 4 was to write a letter or email to the local MP to ask them to help out with the homeless crisis in Preston, there were long queues outside one of the Nottingham shelters last week, meanwhile Palace are offering ten beds per night for local homeless people

Windsor? 

1 hour ago, dog said:

Homeless update

Won't get much kip then... they're a noisy lot, Palace!   

Archived