Homeless guy

RamNut

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I haven 't got a spare room. And that cheap shot does you no credit whatsoever. Nor those who gave you 'likes' for it.

Apologies ramnut. Wasn't meant to be a cheap shot directed personally at you but more as iram describes above. A bit like when various. Celebrities/politicians(across the political spectrum) said how they would happily give a home to.the Syrian refugees. All.fine words but how many carry it through?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The fact we don’t / haven’t speaks volumes.

I have had people in extremis to stay with me numerous times, albeit people I knew indirectly or had some connection with. 

What it speaks to though, is that individual acts of charity aren't really the solution. Just because you don't take someone into your own home doesn't mean you are turning your back. If that kind of action was openly suggested as the answer, it would be met with ridicule, and rightly so  As already mentioned, we need affordable housing etc etc  

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe the spare room idea could work, alone the lines of fostering?

The council could provide basic level training for dealing with someone off the streets, and a payment to cover the extra costs, and in return the person would have some security from which to rebuild their lives from.

I'm sure there would be some good Samaritans interested?

As above, individual acts of charity, while commendable, aren't the solution to systemic problems. 

Homelessness is a very complex issue and flippant comments don't help. There are usually very severe underlying issues that need to be addressed in order to support anyone in that situation. Councils and support groups will provide accommodation for a number of individuals who end up back on the streets because of their mental health or addiction issues. They need help, not a volunteer to offer them a bed. The homelessness is a symptom more often than not. 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

What attitude you have to problems like homelessness seems to depend on whether you think we are all individually responsible for our circumstances, or whether you see that we are all interdependent and responsible for looking out for each other.

Different philosophies which create very different societies. I know which I prefer. 

Have you got a spare room?

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe the spare room idea could work, alone the lines of fostering?

The council could provide basic level training for dealing with someone off the streets, and a payment to cover the extra costs, and in return the person would have some security from which to rebuild their lives from.

I'm sure there would be some good Samaritans interested?

To allow people to take others who likely have mental health and/or dependency issues into their home/family. Hmmmmm

12 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

To allow people to take others who likely have mental health and/or dependency issues into their home/family. Hmmmmm

Let's just leave them where they are then, because it's too hard to help them.

Do people who foster not receive such training, knowing they'll be dealing with probably equally troubled kids?

It takes about 2 years I think to be approved for adoption/fostering, could we not train people in a similar timeframe?

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I haven 't got a spare room. And that cheap shot does you no credit whatsoever. Nor those who gave you 'likes' for it.

Yeah but if you did?

Lighten up.  

Point of order, they were just claps. Chill 

I am sure the forums conscious will be on soon to try and make me feel bad. 

13 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Sorry Eddie, Bath is a much better area.  Bristol is nice, but it is certainly not Bath. By the way correct my English all you like. I happen to know that a name should start with a capital letter. Smart arse 

It is not a proper name, it is a user name, standard capitalisation rules do not apply.

49 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Let's just leave them where they are then, because it's too hard to help them.

Do people who foster not receive such training, knowing they'll be dealing with probably equally troubled kids?

It takes about 2 years I think to be approved for adoption/fostering, could we not train people in a similar timeframe?

Yes but that doesn’t sound like the basic level training you were on about. 

We’re about to start the fostering process in the new year. 

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Yes but that doesn’t sound like the basic level training you were on about. 

We’re about to start the fostering process in the new year. 

Yes I was just throwing the idea out there without thinking it through.

Once I'd thought it through briefly, I landed on the adoption/fostering model as something that could possibly work.

It's not a great or well thought through idea, but there are possibly people out there who may welcome such a challenge.

Congratulations on becoming a foster carer (hopefully), btw.

On 04/11/2018 at 01:21, RamNut said:

I can't help but feel sorry for the homeless guy living in a tent by the bridge on the approach to the ground.

i gave him a fiver as I'm sure he can spend it better than I can. 

i hate to see someone in that state. I don't know what the answer is, but it an awful situation to be in.

Hopefully a few more people might be tempted to show him some sympathy in the run up to xmas. 

Looks like the Evening Telegraph have been following this thread too.

On 10/11/2018 at 18:44, reveldevil said:

Yes I was just throwing the idea out there without thinking it through.

Once I'd thought it through briefly, I landed on the adoption/fostering model as something that could possibly work.

It's not a great or well thought through idea, but there are possibly people out there who may welcome such a challenge.

Congratulations on becoming a foster carer (hopefully), btw.

Great idea. The only trouble is that a percentage our country's population can't or more to the truth don't want to pay more taxes to fund the social services we've got at present. Where would the money come from to pay for a homeless person fostering programme.

Until we all accept that we need to pay more taxes to enable us to have good social services programme nothing will change.

On 10/11/2018 at 14:24, GboroRam said:

Oddly enough, so are we. Going to panel 27 February. 

Wow, best of luck mate.

I've just seen where you're located & it's interesting because Mrs Wolfie used to manage the fostering & adoption Social Work team at Lincs local authority until a year or so ago (based out of North Hykeham).

Really hope it goes well for you. Well, us too, of course - we'll just be starting the process in the New Year.

30 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Wow, best of luck mate.

I've just seen where you're located & it's interesting because Mrs Wolfie used to manage the fostering & adoption Social Work team at Lincs local authority until a year or so ago (based out of North Hykeham).

Really hope it goes well for you. Well, us too, of course - we'll just be starting the process in the New Year.

We've been considering fostering for a while and completely by chance met a couple at the weekend who foster and had a good chat about the pros/cons.

Could be a good idea to set up a separate thread for those who do/are trying to/might like to ?

19 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

We've been considering fostering for a while and completely by chance met a couple at the weekend who foster and had a good chat about the pros/cons.

Could be a good idea to set up a separate thread for those who do/are trying to/might like to ?

Never fancied fostering. Especially after watching a couple I know struggle to raise a social delinquent of a child they had adopted with what appeared to be very little support from Social Services.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Wow, best of luck mate.

It really is a small world. Good luck. 

On 12/11/2018 at 00:23, ilkleyram said:

Looks like the Evening Telegraph have been following this thread too.

Here's their piece on Tony from Chad. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/Derby-news/homeless-man-living-near-pride-2203042

Worked in an abattoir, damaged his hand a year ago, lost his job, couldn't work out the benefits system, is known to the authorities - who say:

“We are aware of this particular person and our staff are already engaging with them to offer support.”

Let's hope it works out for him. 

Archived