Holmes today

WystonRam

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the lad looked at a bit nervous in the first half. Hardly surprising, given that might have been the first time he’d played in front of a big crowd, ie 5 figures. I reckon Frank had a word at half time, told him to play his natural game. I thought he was awesome second half. The biggest compliment I could pay him is that we didn’t miss Mount after the break 

Like the lad a lot. Has had very limited opportunities but today he showed the kind of effort and impact he made on his debut. Not a kid as some have pointed out but I still see bags of potential there. especially playing with better players around him than he has in the past. Not sure how he came to be overlooked by other sides tbh but after we've moaned about our scouting for so long, it's great to see us finding a few well priced gems like him, Jack and George Evans. 

His general play summed up the game today. 

First half looked completely off it, most of his passes went astray and generally didn't attempt to drive into play. 

Second half he was everywhere, linked up with everyone and got beyond players with ease, whatever frank/jody said to him and the team at half time it damn well worked 

Well he is 24 years old, so will reach his peak in 4 years time, love the way he plays with energy and always has his head up, and take a man on, and in the second half he was picking his team's out with some lovely passes, we have a lot of talent in this squad, believe we only paid 200.000 pound for him, and on the evidence . And what Frank has been saying about him, we have a great players on our hands, nice to see we are getting in some really talented players from the lower leagues, long may it continue.

In the first half, he played like a winger playing central midfield. He didn't show enough, although neither did Wilson, plus he was trying to play killer balls for every pass. In the second half, he looked a lot more like a central midfielder and the quality he has is fantastic to see. 

Holmes is certainly a working progress, but he certainly has talent. MOTM could have been a number of players, but it was well deserved for him. It was a performance that was at least as good, if not better, than what Mount has put in over the past month or so. 

21 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I was very encouraged to know we aren’t completely relying on Mason Mount and we do have alternatives.

Ditto and more encouraging was Franks assessment after the game that he has a big future ahead of him at this club, I took that to mean, he’s not quite yet ready to edge out a few in the starting 11 but take out the loanees and this kid will grow into the team.

23 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I was very encouraged to know we aren’t completely relying on Mason Mount and we do have alternatives.

Good point, I feared for us a bit today without Mount. Whilst I think there is a lot more to come from him, he has been improving week on week just like the team. Tough ask to fill them boots but as you say bodes well going forwards that DH held is own today. 

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Ditto and more encouraging was Franks assessment after the game that he has a big future ahead of him at this club, I took that to mean, he’s not quite yet ready to edge out a few in the starting 11 but take out the loanees and this kid will grow into the team.

Yes I also find it encouraging that FL is buying players for the future that he can break in gently.

I thought he was superb. When was the last time we saw a player just glide past people with speed and skill, but, critically make the right decision and use the ball well?

I think Mount is the more complete player, certainly better off the ball, but I think Holmes might prove to be more dangerous on the ball.

I love this, it’s like were spreading a transfer window out over the season and introducing “new” players. Who’s Next?

Archived