Could we upgrade on Carson ?

RiddingsRam

It would be good to not replace Carson but bring in some young viable competition. I fear for our season if he gets an injury. Admittedly, I’ve not seen the understudies loads but have never been overly impressed when I have. It’s the only position we don’t have a upper championship quality replacement, should it be required 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Theoretically we could, of course we could.  Could we afford to?  No, we couldn't.  When the likes of Butland (the only keeper, who's arguably better than Scott in our division) has a £20m-£30m price tag, we have no chance.  We'd need one hell of a scouting department to find an unknown Nauer, Edison, Alison, Pickford for the amount we could pay.   And it's alright aying Grant was good with his feet, but he cost us a fair few points with poor keeping.

I'm more than happy with his output this season...

Woudnt  consider pIckford better than Carson ?

I think we are getting to big for our boots with this conversation. Carson has been/is brilliant for us. He isn’t great at playing out from the back, but everything is more than good enough. If we were to improve, we will be needing a lot of money to do so.

On 02/11/2018 at 16:14, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Not this season  as he is a very good keeper at championship level, if we go up though one of the first signings I would make is a keeper with his saving ability but with better sweeper keeper abilities . That may cost around £20 million but if we get promoted we should have somewhere in the region of  50- 70 mill  to spend if we want to be a team who will comfortably stay up rather than a team who either go back down or scrape survival like Huddersfield last season. Carson's lack of pace may be found wanting in the prem where there is loads of pacey strikers and lots of players who can play the killer ball to get them in on goal.

D7DC7FE5-F5F3-4969-9DE3-C172D6603891.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bigfella said:

D7DC7FE5-F5F3-4969-9DE3-C172D6603891.jpeg

I would appreciate your reference to a philosopher's quote if it was in response to me making an actual foolish comment , but I stand by what I said apart form the bit about needing to spend a lot as we may get good loans in or bargain deals from abroad for a change.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I am genuinely lost for words.

I don't understand why you would be lost for words if you have seen any prem football and you have also seen how Carson never  really comes off his line.  You some times need your keeper to bail out your defence by sprinting out their box and hoofing It into touch,. Being quick off the mark isn't a necessity but  it helps and I was focusing more on his lack of ball playing ability.

The post I was referring to said about Carson not being able to make it in the Premier League as he would be found wanting for a lack of pace.

Ok, let's pretend that managers do actually consider a goalkeepers pace before signing them. How does Carson's compare to other Premier League keepers, please add a link to the stats you are using as I believe it will be a good read.

8 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I would appreciate your reference to a philosopher's quote if it was in response to me making an actual foolish comment , but I stand by what I said apart form the bit about needing to spend a lot as we may get good loans in or bargain deals from abroad for a change.

I appreciate that you have an opinion but I have one too and I think the Plato quote summed it up nicely for me.

Anyone else think Carson maybe carrying an injury, or is it just me?

He didn't seem able to push off his feet as effectively as usual, I'd back him to save the free kick 99/100 usually, was today the 1/100 chance, or did he look inhibited to anyone else?

Archived