Could we upgrade on Carson ?

RiddingsRam

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Not on this one John!

ps you're thinking of Vicky Pollard (Matt Lucas in chav drag) from Little Britain, with a broad Bristolian accent. Fun aside - our local CenterParcs is Longleat in Wiltshire, which is midway between leafy (and beautifully enunciated Hants) and Bristol. So it would be packed with them when we used to take Hants Jnr back in the day. "Oi din't do it, nor nuffink!" was what he came home saying once.

I had to thrash him repeatedly to get it out of his system.....?

Cheers?

bKoVG8K.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson is a good shot-stopper and that's probably the most important aspect of a good keeper.

He is not the bravest and I would take issue with the first poster's assertion he is good from corners.

He rarely comes for them and when he does it's with a 'not the face' flappy punch.

He frightens me when the ball is passed back to him (80% of when Keogh has it) but over the course of a season saves us more often than he costs us.

Think the more pertinent question is whether Roos is an adequate number two.

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

.............. ...but i think we just live with as Im not sure you can coach "judgement". But as an overall package, he's as good as anything I can remember.

Boulton, Les Green, Shilts, Poom, Granty I and II and even the great Saul Deeny.....Ive seen em all! ?

.............plus Reg Mathews and Ken Oxford!

Carson always looks to me like he’s justed finished a four hour stint of flogging the Big Issue on St Peters Street, best keeper in this league, blokes a bloody legend! ?

5 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Simple debate ? Not sure in the answer myself , just wondered what fellow Rams fans thoughts were on this as I was having a drunken debate with the brother in law last night whilst sipping a few cocktails in sunny Gran canaria. As a goalkeeper i.e shot stopping , rushing out , catches from corners Carson is next to none. But with the modern game developing and more being demanded from keepers (almost to play as a sweeper at times ) could we look at potentially bringing in some better competition for Scott , someone who's distribution is perhaps better ? 

Yes

5 hours ago, gazram80 said:

Carson is the best keeper we have had since poom imo.

However you can see why he never really made it at the top level,

1 he should have saved fabregas shot.

2 his distribution is somewhat debatable 

To improve on him we would have to spend a few £million 

Sage did not agree with 1 when I mentioned it. 

Not this season  as he is a very good keeper at championship level, if we go up though one of the first signings I would make is a keeper with his saving ability but with better sweeper keeper abilities . That may cost around £20 million but if we get promoted we should have somewhere in the region of  50- 70 mill  to spend if we want to be a team who will comfortably stay up rather than a team who either go back down or scrape survival like Huddersfield last season. Carson's lack of pace may be found wanting in the prem where there is loads of pacey strikers and lots of players who can play the killer ball to get them in on goal.

6 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Simple debate ? Not sure in the answer myself , just wondered what fellow Rams fans thoughts were on this as I was having a drunken debate with the brother in law last night whilst sipping a few cocktails in sunny Gran canaria. As a goalkeeper i.e shot stopping , rushing out , catches from corners Carson is next to none. But with the modern game developing and more being demanded from keepers (almost to play as a sweeper at times ) could we look at potentially bringing in some better competition for Scott , someone who's distribution is perhaps better ? 

Yep just need £40 mill plus to get anything guaranteed to be any better, theirs no perfect keeper out theur. They all have their own specific flaws .Carson probably won us more points last season than Vydra.The last position in the team i would be thinking of 're-investing in at this time.

Doesn't have the presence of Poom - I.E being super-massive and always barking orders, yelling at defenders and coming off his line to claim crosses, but is at least as good at shot-stopping and almost certainly better with the ball at his feet (granted this being an attribute for a keeper was pretty much unheard of when Poom was playing).

I think it's quite rare for a keeper these days to be the same sort of commanding presence as Poom was and not sure it can be taught. Even De Gea doesn't have that and he's probably the best keeper in the game right now. Neuer has it, but don't think we could stretch to him. Oliver Khan had it. Both Schmeichel's have it. Cech had it in his prime.

No one leaps out at me as a realistic replacement that would add enough sufficient value to the team to warrant bombing Carson out.

Roos is alright as long as we don't have to play him more than a handful of times per season.

Haven't read the thread so forgive any repetition but right now, in the context of the division in which we play, any improvements would only be incremental. We're strong right now right across our best 11 and even on the bench. Sure, there are players who could improve us - I've seen Loftus-Cheek and Foden mentioned on these boards in recent days but those types of player are a pipedream right now. The former is getting increasing game time at his current club, the latter is a target for Juventus! As for Carson, he'd be one of the last names on the 'required improvements' list IMO. As Frank and Jody have very clearly shown with their innate ability to get players playing well and without fear, it takes more than talented individuals to create a winning side. Why upset a currently beautiful balance that is already driving us forward in search of something that only 'might' be better?

54 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Doesn't have the presence of Poom - I.E being super-massive and always barking orders, yelling at defenders and coming off his line to claim crosses, but is at least as good at shot-stopping and almost certainly better with the ball at his feet (granted this being an attribute for a keeper was pretty much unheard of when Poom was playing).

I think it's quite rare for a keeper these days to be the same sort of commanding presence as Poom was and not sure it can be taught. Even De Gea doesn't have that and he's probably the best keeper in the game right now. Neuer has it, but don't think we could stretch to him. Oliver Khan had it. Both Schmeichel's have it. Cech had it in his prime.

No one leaps out at me as a realistic replacement that would add enough sufficient value to the team to warrant bombing Carson out.

Roos is alright as long as we don't have to play him more than a handful of times per season.

This League may be decided by one point so every. Point counts

5 hours ago, Derbados said:

John Terry just spent a year in the championship, did he not make it at the top level either? 

Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovich are currently playing in the MLS, they not make it either no? 

Henrik Laarson finished his career in Scotland, take it he was a flop to

Why do you feel the need to try and justify your point with irrelevant reference to players who have played consistently for top clubs? 

Terry , Rooney,  ibramhiovich and Larrson all performed at the top level (made it). 

Keep to the topic of Scott Carson! 

A,  I never called him a flop

B, he has not made it at the top level, I don't think 4 appearances for Liverpool or England means he made it.

C, Scott Carson is 33 and arguably in his prime as a keeper.

Also for petty sake henrik Larrson finished his career a long time after Scotland including winning the champions league with Barcelona and a stint at man u, ?

Kudos to those who said that he has excellent distribution.

He kicks with both feet and is being asked to kick to only one target as we spread out all over the pitch. We do not have a major aerial presence up front so we try to play out from the back. This is a very unforgiving task and will occasionally look terrible. There are few in England who are better at it.

Ever since the bloody pass back rule was introduced we've been slating our keepers for poor distribution. Its one of the biggest cliches going.

Obviously, he has a great touch for a big lad!

Archived