Could we upgrade on Carson ?

RiddingsRam

Simple debate ? Not sure in the answer myself , just wondered what fellow Rams fans thoughts were on this as I was having a drunken debate with the brother in law last night whilst sipping a few cocktails in sunny Gran canaria. As a goalkeeper i.e shot stopping , rushing out , catches from corners Carson is next to none. But with the modern game developing and more being demanded from keepers (almost to play as a sweeper at times ) could we look at potentially bringing in some better competition for Scott , someone who's distribution is perhaps better ? 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson is the best keeper we have had since poom imo.

However you can see why he never really made it at the top level,

1 he should have saved fabregas shot.

2 his distribution is somewhat debatable 

To improve on him we would have to spend a few £million 

4 minutes ago, gazram80 said:

Carson is the best keeper we have had since poom imo.

However you can see why he never really made it at the top level,

1 he should have saved fabregas shot.

2 his distribution is somewhat debatable 

To improve on him we would have to spend a few £million 

I agree with point 2 but think point 1 is slightly harsh I think the deflection took it away from him. I cannot think of a realistic keeper we could target. I'm sure the majority of PL clubs would love an Alisson or a Ederson, unfortunately they are few and far between. When Worm was at Swansea he was pretty decent with his feet but cant see him leaving Spurs and at 35 he'd be no long term solution.

For me on the whole I cant see the need to replace Scott, a keepers job should be to keep the ball out the goal, any other attributes are a bonus. plus we have the 6th best defensive record in the division so cant all be bad. 

The way I see it if you have a keeper whose distribution isn't amazing it is up to the outfield players to make themselves available quickly and show for easy balls.

Carson is easily the best shot stopper we've had since Poom, but his distribution let's him down. 

But let's not kid ourselves, to get a keeper that's got both the shot stopping abilities of Carson and the distribution of someone like Grant we'd have to spend a pretty penny, all such keepers will be playing in the Prem. 

I seriously think you’d struggle to find a keeper better than him that would willingly play in the championship, outside of relegated players like Butland.

I can sort of see why someone would think he’s dropped off a bit this season but I think come May we’ll look back and he’ll have had another excellent season

19 minutes ago, Topram said:

When you watch the highlights back just look at that save he makes from the corner, can’t remember who heads it but it’s a Worldie that went unnoticed 

It was Morata and, yes, very good save - though someone was on the line behind him. That's the curse of the goalkeeper, it's the ones you didn't get that get remembered. Ask any football fan to recall one highlight of Carson and we all know which one it would be.

Could we upgrade on Carson? Of course, to the earlier point we can do anything if we've got some money. But I wouldn't suggest it's needed - he is as good as any keeper in the Championship and I'd suggest as good as at least half of those in the Prem. He's at least the equal of the likes of Boric, Fabianski or Foster.

I'm not sure about upgrading on Carson but I would like us to upgrade on Kelle Roos - if I looked at our squad we are one serious injury away from potentially having a big problem. Not to get down on Roos but there isn't much evidence to suggest he is top end Championship standard.

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It was Morata and, yes, very good save - though someone was on the line behind him. That's the curse of the goalkeeper, it's the ones you didn't get that get remembered. Ask any football fan to recall one highlight of Carson and we all know which one it would be.

Could we upgrade on Carson? Of course, to the earlier point we can do anything if we've got some money. But I wouldn't suggest it's needed - he is as good as any keeper in the Championship and I'd suggest as good as at least half of those in the Prem. He's at least the equal of the likes of Boric, Fabianski or Foster.

I'm not sure about upgrading on Carson but I would like us to upgrade on Kelle Roos - if I looked at our squad we are one serious injury away from having a big problem.

Aha, luckily Chris Weale is not registered as a player currently. Or we could go all Phil Brown and play Shay Given.

9 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Apart from the time spent playing in the premier league for Liverpool and West Brom and the 4 England caps. . . 

If that’s not top level what is?

Remind me where he is now?

Like I said he has not made it at the top level because he is prone to errors x

9 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I seriously think you’d struggle to find a keeper better than him that would willingly play in the championship, outside of relegated players like Butland.

I can sort of see why someone would think he’s dropped off a bit this season but I think come May we’ll look back and he’ll have had another excellent season

I get your point but I'd have Carson over Butland any day of the week. Was rather m'eh on him when he was here.

26 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don’t think people appreciated Grant’s ability on the ball in the McClaren team enough. I’d have him over Carson in any side that wants to play from the back.

Which would have been fine if he didn't have a habit of flapping like a huge flappy thing whenever the ball dropped into the six-yard box - good with his feet, great shot stopper, but scary when the crosses were coming in....and consequently we always looked vulnerable when Grant was in goal. Grant was good for Stoke because of the 'kick nd head everything' defenders in front of him - we'd be shipping a lot more goals if Grant was in the current Rams team...

As far as he original question goes, yes there are better keepers than Carson - but not many in the Championship and we'd have to pay a lot to get someone better if we get promoted....

45 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Simple debate ? Not sure in the answer myself , just wondered what fellow Rams fans thoughts were on this as I was having a drunken debate with the brother in law last night whilst sipping a few cocktails in sunny Gran canaria. As a goalkeeper i.e shot stopping , rushing out , catches from corners Carson is next to none. But with the modern game developing and more being demanded from keepers (almost to play as a sweeper at times ) could we look at potentially bringing in some better competition for Scott , someone who's distribution is perhaps better ? 

I don't think we could on cost effectiveness grounds. For what he's cost he gives great value. Sure, there are aspects of his game that could be improved - eg commanding his area. There are also aspects such as his judgement of when to stay on line and when to come out which can be a bit inconsistent but i think we just live with as Im not sure you can coach "judgement". But as an overall package, he's as good as anything I can remember.

Boulton, Les Green, Shilts, Poom, Granty I and II and even the great Saul Deeny.....Ive seen em all! ?

I'm not sure what games you guys are watching but Scott Carson has probably the best distribution in the league. He's constantly pinging long balls to the wingers / pushed up full backs accurately and consistently. He's also super brave on the ball, not afraid of releasing it at the very last moment rather than kicking it out for a throw in. He was loads better distribution-wise than Caballero was for Chelsea (and he was bought by Manchester City for his distribution qualities). A goalkeeper with better passing range wouldn't be in this league, they'd be in the Premier League. He's definitely one of the best shot stoppers in the championship + lower half PL.

6 minutes ago, Shang said:

I'm not sure what games you guys are watching but Scott Carson has probably the best distribution in the league. He's constantly pinging long balls to the wingers / pushed up full backs accurately and consistently. He's also super brave on the ball, not afraid of releasing it at the very last moment rather than kicking it out for a throw in. He was loads better distribution-wise than Caballero was for Chelsea (and he was bought by Manchester City for his distribution qualities). A goalkeeper with better passing range wouldn't be in this league, they'd be in the Premier League. He's definitely one of the best shot stoppers in the championship + lower half PL.

Love this. You won't find a better keeper at this level. All keepers will make mistakes playing from the back. He's the biggest part of our spine. To pay for a top level keeper who can play out from the back, you're looking at 30m + and they aren't even guaranteed to be good at it at that price.

Archived