What a manager we have

There are definitely no negatives at the moment, and after watching the Rams for many years now (from afar)

there is certainly a difference this time. We seem to be back to the heady days of 14/15 again, but with a bigger

work ethic, and much improved mental strength and squad. The high pressing allows us to compete with possession

teams, whilst terrorizing Boro' who are the strongest team defensively so far, and the best exponents of the "balls in 

the box" brigade. The players suddenly seem to be able to change the style as required (no plan B necessary) which in 

part must be due to the increased tactical awareness we are enjoying. We defend and attack as a team, and are able to

capitalize on the  slightest error by the opposition - How times have changed, long may it continue  ???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

I am struggling to identify any negatives during FL's short tenure to date. 

The performances against Reading, Leeds, Millwall, Rotherham and Bolton? 

I'm really enjoying what I'm watching right now but we can't just pretend the above didn't happen.

Having come up against good footballing teams in the last 2 months (Boro aside) we are yet to see if we finally have the formula for breaking down teams that park the bus. As we all know, this is a problem that previous managers have struggled with so this will be a test that may set FL out from the crowd.

13 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Call my cynical, or maybe I’ve just had my fingers burnt one too many times, but I’m not really getting quite so loved up by Lampard as much as everyone else seems to be.

Got absolutely no issue with the bloke at all, let me point out. I think he speaks eloquently and, from what I’ve heard, is an absolutely lovely fella. He’s got us playing some of the best football I’ve seen since McClaren and there’s a real feel good atmosphere around the club at the moment. He is the right man for us - 100%

But I remember feeling the same about Rowett. And McClaren. And once upon a time, about Clough. Things change very quickly in football and I think I’ll wait until the end of the season before I jump fully on the hype train. 

I get what you mean. Last year, about the same time actually, there was a similar thread about Rowett. At the time I had already lost my hope with him and remember writing something about halo effect and silver tongue (which didn't go down well, obviously)... Same could be said about Lampard but the huge difference is, I believe Lampard is up to the job whereas I didn't rate Rowett at all.

He has been marvelous. Classy. Long may it continue and hopefully, I can join this man-crush party fully... Or maybe I never can as I'm struggling to get over the fact that one his best mates is John ducking Terry.

The greatest thing is, his football philosophy is quite close to mine that I can enjoy football again. I've been slipping away from the game, but he got me on board again. I'm so grateful for that you wouldn't believe... almost as grateful as I'm towards Stoke chairman who decided to spend 2 million to sign Rowett. 

36 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I get what you mean. Last year, about the same time actually, there was a similar thread about Rowett. At the time I had already lost my hope with him and remember writing something about halo effect and silver tongue (which didn't go down well, obviously)... Same could be said about Lampard but the huge difference is, I believe Lampard is up to the job whereas I didn't rate Rowett at all.

He has been marvelous. Classy. Long may it continue and hopefully, I can join this man-crush party fully... Or maybe I never can as I'm struggling to get over the fact that one his best mates is John ducking Terry.

The greatest thing is, his football philosophy is quite close to mine that I can enjoy football again. I've been slipping away from the game, but he got me on board again. I'm so grateful for that you wouldn't believe... almost as grateful as I'm towards Stoke chairman who decided to spend 2 million to sign Rowett. 

THE difference for me is that you can see Frank doing what he says. With GR the words just fell out of his gob like so many autumn leaves "we need to be.......[insert platitude]......" and then you'd get served up the same old tripe.

Frank says we're going to play.........we play! ?

Frank says he's proud.......Frank makes a point of bigging up the players and congratulates each one personally......not punching the air and disappearing down the tunnel with his mates.

You can see how that would inspire the players, the staff, Mel, and us! 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The performances against Reading, Leeds, Millwall, Rotherham and Bolton? 

I'm really enjoying what I'm watching right now but we can't just pretend the above didn't happen.

Having come up against good footballing teams in the last 2 months (Boro aside) we are yet to see if we finally have the formula for breaking down teams that park the bus. As we all know, this is a problem that previous managers have struggled with so this will be a test that may set FL out from the crowd.

3 of those were our first three games under a rookie manager!  The first seven games yielded 12 points, a much better start than in the previous seasons under Pearson and the Snake.

There will be more off days to come but I don't think we have seen the best of this squad yet.

11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

THE difference for me is that you can see Frank doing what he says. With GR the words just fell out of his gob like so many autumn leaves "we need to be.......[insert platitude]......" and then you'd get served up the same old tripe.

Frank says we're going to play.........we play! ?

Frank says he's proud.......Frank makes a point of bigging up the players and congratulates each one personally......not punching the air and disappearing down the tunnel with his mates.

You can see how that would inspire the players, the staff, Mel, and us! 

Very, very true. Rowett basically always said what fans wanted to hear, no matter was it professional or not. Can't see Lampard doing the same.

To be successful as a player / manager / business you need to have a certain mentality and that is a winners mentality.

For too long we have appointed managers/coaches imo that don't have that.

Frankie = winner

You can see already that Frank has instilled this in the players and they look like no matter who they play against "we are going to win" I've not seen that at Derby since the bald Eagle days.

Long may it continue

Having been a Rams fan for 40 odd years, I've seen plenty of lows and the occasional highs of the Cox, Smith & Davies Promotions, and the total football under McClaren v1.

After being in the relative doldrums for so long, the McClaren v1 era reminded me that football is about entertainment. I can honestly say that I enjoyed that period as much as any other time as a Ram, simply because I enjoyed the way we played. Ultimately it wasn't completly successful in terms of delivering promotion, but personally I enjoyed more games than I I didn't. I love the youthful energy, the honesty and the fact that we went to attack.

I appreciate that Football is a business and the big bucks are in the Premier League so can understand the owner looking to try and capitalise. I stuck with Clement, Wassall, Pearson and Mac v2 but I'd seen enough of Snake Ball before the end of 16/17 to know that whatever the journey was going to be, I wasn't going to enjoy it the same and so I didn't renew my season ticket.

IMO the Snake went for promotion or bust, sacrificing style and future for the short term objective of promotion, and to be fair he nearly made it. Whilst sad that we missed out last season, can anyone really say that they would have wanted to watch that style in the Premier League??

I think a glance at Stoke this season shows that he's going about the task exactly the same way albeit with a better budget. Good Riddance.

I was sceptical about the Lampard appointment, I thought that we are too big a club to be a learning ground, but after a third of the season, I have to say that I am in Love. Quite simply the style of football has me wanting to go and watch the Rams again. It's entertaining and we are trying to win games with some good honest young players, who are hungry and looking to forge a future in the game.

I can't praise Lampard enough for his bravery in trying to achieve his objectives in what I think is the right way. If this team got promoted, I'd look forward to watching them in the Premier League as I think there is potential to improve, unlike last year under the Snake.

Its all about opinions I know but I want to be entertained pure and simple. I want to win for sure, I'm a fan, but I've come to realise that the league we are in matters less to me personally than the way we play.

Keep on going Frank, your making a lot of people very happy.

For the record, during preseason after Southampton game. I forecast on here us Winning the league this season . Enough evidence of how we were trying to play in that game to suggest that if we continued in that vein then we would win the League this season. Just saying. COYR ??

49 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Isn't this thread great? #JustSaying

It's lovely but i think it's important that Frank understands that he's only a couple of poor performances away from meltdown. Any sniff from us fans that his tactics have been 'found out' then this thread will disappear into oblivion.

Bris'll be back too.

So don't get complacent Frank.

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

For the record, during preseason after Southampton game. I forecast on here us Winning the league this season . Enough evidence of how we were trying to play in that game to suggest that if we continued in that vein then we would win the League this season. Just saying. COYR ??

And for the record it was after the Saints preseason game I started suggesting our best midfield was going to be Mount and Wilson as the forward two of a three, fully thinking we'd win the league if Frank did decide to play them together there!

Don't want to be a skeleton at the feast, but I wonder what the future holds. We've all seen FL's post match interview for the Rams, but I've seen the one on Chelsea's forum, 9 minutes of it, where he talks of 'coming home' and 'this is my home' stuff. Zola said some complimentary things too in his interview, although he spoke mainly about Chelsea, obviously.

http://www.theshedend.com/topic/32170-chelsea-v-Derby-lc-wed-31st-oct-1945-uk/?page=14

Can't really see him being here for the really long haul. Just enjoy our day in the sun while we can.

http://www.theshedend.com/topic/32170-chelsea-v-Derby-lc-wed-31st-oct-1945-uk/?page=14

I think we all realise that we're a stepping stone for FL towards the Chelsea job, unlike other managers who we expected to be more loyal to the club. 

I'm just hoping that Chelsea is his next job, because they will not hire him until he has proven himself with a good degree of success. 

Archived