DCFCFANS Fishing match

froggg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, froggg said:

Haven’t seen any evidence there’s owt much bigger in here, might try alvaston lake tomorrow, some big carp in there.

Used to fish there about 40 years ago. It was in easy walking distance even with full fishing tackle. It had plenty of small tench then, plus the odd perch. I once caught a chub of about 2.5lb in there, although it was the only one I ever saw in there. I also saw pike taking ducklings of the surface. I heard stories of some fairly big carp even back then but never actually saw one, although I did have something fairly big on for about 10 minutes once before my line broke (I used to use 2lb line). Let us know how you get on if you go.

6 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Used to fish there about 40 years ago. It was in easy walking distance even with full fishing tackle. It had plenty of small tench then, plus the odd perch. I once caught a chub of about 2.5lb in there, although it was the only one I ever saw in there. I also saw pike taking ducklings of the surface. I heard stories of some fairly big carp even back then but never actually saw one, although I did have something fairly big on for about 10 minutes once before my line broke (I used to use 2lb line). Let us know how you get on if you go.

Will do 

Shardlow Marina, day ticket water, nice mixed bag of roach to about 14oz, perch to about a pound and a quarter, and dace, disappointingly no Gudgeon, supposed to not rain but got soaked anyway, no one came round for the money for the ticket ?

CFD52450-BE6A-47C7-8125-F8C77DFB1A33.jpeg

A6637033-D13D-49E1-8292-4E236593932D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, froggg said:

@richinspain Recognise this? Had a reccy after fishing, nobody on it, but can’t get campervan into the car park as it’s hight restricted, looks good but can’t hump all my gear half a mile.

7653174A-0CED-4107-BE1E-7A62030F1647.jpeg

If I said I'd seen that view a thousand times it probably wouldn't be an exaggeration ?. Hope you find a way to get to fish there. Keep me informed.

1 minute ago, froggg said:

@David?it’s a canal not a bagging lake, you’re lucky to catch Gudgeon never mind the canal monsters I got.

Ignore him Froggg, he’s not used to having something big in his hands so likes to show off when he catches something he has to hold with two hands.

Back in the 1980s, I used to fish for Derby Railway in the national championships and the Angling Times winter league. I soon learned to loathe canals (I loved fishing the Trent and the Derwent, mind).

52 minutes ago, eddie said:

Back in the 1980s, I used to fish for Derby Railway in the national championships and the Angling Times winter league. I soon learned to loathe canals (I loved fishing the Trent and the Derwent, mind).

When did you last drown a maggot?

27 minutes ago, froggg said:

When did you last drown a maggot?

1985. When I went contracting I knocked it on the head because I was away all week, and I reckon she'd have killed me if I'd then been away all weekend. Still got all my old gear in the garage, but of course it was monofilament line, lead shot and so on which would all have to be replaced - and I'm not sure whether carbon fibre rods and roach poles perish. It's all in holdalls and I've never thought about it for the last 30-odd years - until now.

Archived