Match Thread V Chelsea (A)

Millenniumram

54 minutes ago, roboto said:

I took a Celtic, a Lazio and a Torino supporter to the game last night and they all praised the entire team and mentioned that our defence was much better than the Chelsea defence on the night, both on and off the ball. They were very impressed with how we played the ball out from the back and on the deck. Huddlestone and Marriott were particularly praised for their part but so was Keogh (although I personally thought Tomori was our best defender on the night).

I thought Keogh's distribution was fine. He does only hit the ball at one speed (as hard as possible) which can sometimes cause problems for team mates who can't trap the ball and control it quickly enough, but we've had so many worse players than Keogh in recent years it beggars belief how many people still can't see how good he actually is and his passion for the club.

Brick wall mate - you're banging your head against a brick wall.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time I went to watch us in West London was 19 games prior to the Chelsea game. On that occasion we treated the mighty Fulham like they were the greatest team ever to grace a football field.

Whilst I had been partly accepting of Rowett's methods up to then, even thinking we had worked them out after the encouraging first leg, the Fulham game was truly dire and my hopes for this season were low.

What a transformation and as someone said earlier, what a time to be alive.

4 beautiful, energetic performances in 12 days, culminating in a final 20 mins with Chelsea unable to get out of their half due to our intense, intelligent pressure and workrate. Like @Carl Sagan, I was right behind Nugent's chance and think I was in the air as the ball didn't just hit the post, but bounced right back up into the keeper's hands. So close.

I'm now really looking forward to seeing how we play in the next two home games against 2 Brummie teams, who will approach the games thinking we are currently the best team in the league.

I don't think we (the club, the fans, the players) are scared of going up anymore. The scars of that 11 point debacle season cut deep. I feel fully healed now.

13 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Brick wall mate - you're banging your head against a brick wall.

You're right Wolfie, but to be fair roboto's comments are spot on. Maybe if a few more of us came on here and said so then the Keogh haters might think twice before posting their vitriol.

So we could have won, but didn't, so we had to settle for what we thought Wednesday was all about, i.e. can we compete at Premier league level?

You bet we can. A better question should be "Can they compete with us?"

Also, just one of the key moments would have had us dropping our heads in previous seasons, but after two more freak own goals and yet another appalling refereeing decision, we simply dusted ourselves down and carried on. You could argue that we are well experienced in coping with crap refereeing decisions, but to do what we did on Wednesday night was astounding.

We go again on Saturday, and hopefully Frank and Jody will do some work on getting our players to choose the correct foot to use in any given situation - it was also the cause of Bogle's own goal on Saturday, and may well have contributed to that pass at Wembley against QPR. Many of us have questioned why there are so many professional footballers who can only use one leg. If we can introduce our players to their other leg, we could move up yet another gear!

This is one hell of a time to be a Rams fan, maybe just rewards for sticking with it during all those dire, gloomy, depressing years! it might bring out the cloggers in our remaining championship matches, but it should also scare the living daylights out of the other teams. 

COME ON YOU RAMS!

Archived