Leicester City owners helicopter crash

RoyMac5

Don't rate Probert - think he's one of the poorer PL referees in a particularly weak bunch but the bloke was on a hiding to nothing re that yellow card incident, damned if he did book him, damned if he didn't. By the letter of the (daft) law he was correct but I'll be surprised if the yellow card isn't rescinded, assuming the authorities can do that.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He needed to book Gray. I don't think Gray will mind, he would have been expecting it. It's a rule that needs reviewing as I can understand the need for it, but perhaps context should be allowed as at the moment it's black and white in the sense that if your shirt comes off then you receive a yellow card. 

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Not seen anyone else mention it and as it's the only Leicester thread on here.

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks Probert is an absolute rooster for booking Gray today?

Jesus Christ man, have some empathy and a bit of understanding of the emotions involved in football.

On another note, how about he actually does his proper job better and spot the absolute blatant hand ball, even if he's missed it, I don't care, the reaction of the Leicester players to a man, means there's no way it was anything but.

Not a hammerer of refs in general but ffs man, that was a joke.

You could tell he didn't want to do it but rules are rules, I personally think it's probably the weirdest rule in the game... take your shirt off you get booked yet everyone knows it's the rule. Christ players have been sent off for a 2nd yellow before because of it. If he didn't give him a yellow people would have complained he didn't... But you could tell in his eyes he didn't want to book him for it.

I get that it's a rule and actually kind of get why it was brought in.

If he'd have whipped his shirt off to reveal a six pack and did  a Ronaldo style look at me pose, then fair enough.

On this occasion I think it said for kun Vi... (Don't know how to spell the fellas name).

After all that had gone on this week and considering the dignified way the whole "football family" have handled it, I just feel it was something that didn't need doing.

Rules, rules rules, nothing and no space for natural human feeling and reactions.

7 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

You could tell he didn't want to do it but rules are rules, I personally think it's probably the weirdest rule in the game... take your shirt off you get booked yet everyone knows it's the rule. Christ players have been sent off for a 2nd yellow before because of it. If he didn't give him a yellow people would have complained he didn't... But you could tell in his eyes he didn't want to book him for it.

To be fair and honest, I didn't actually see him show the yellow card. I watched the highlights on sly and they didn't show it. just mentioned it in passing and as I didn't see any post match interviews either, I've got disgusted quietly based on one line of commentary.

If there was a look and a reaction from Probert then I'll say sorry.

Maybe that's why it's only me who mentioned it eh ?

15 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

To be fair and honest, I didn't actually see him show the yellow card. I watched the highlights on sly and they didn't show it. just mentioned it in passing and as I didn't see any post match interviews either, I've got disgusted quietly based on one line of commentary.

If there was a look and a reaction from Probert then I'll say sorry.

Maybe that's why it's only me who mentioned it eh ?

Not having a dig in the slightest pal but looking at the ref you could see in his face he didn't want to book him but he was catch 22 book him and he's the villain, don't book him he's not done his job... if it was me I'd have booked him purely because it's not open to interpretation... take your shirt off you get booked. Although like I say I think it's a stupid rule. On the flip side if I were a player I'd happily take the caution for such a message.

7 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Not having a dig in the slightest pal but looking at the ref you could see in his face he didn't want to book him but he was catch 22 book him and he's the villain, don't book him he's not done his job... if it was me I'd have booked him purely because it's not open to interpretation... take your shirt off you get booked. Although like I say I think it's a stupid rule. On the flip side if I were a player I'd happily take the caution for such a message.

What if you were already on a yellow though?

On the refs side for this one. Couldn’t have been nice for him at all and he was probably dreading Leicester scoring, because it was bound to happen.

But rules are rules. Cardiff are in a relegation battle, if Gray wasn’t booked and then received a yellow later in the game, by law they should be down to 10. He’d probably have got a telling off from his bosses, possible demotion, this is his livelihood after all.

I think it’s a stupid rule anyway, particularly in this circumstance, but it’s not Probert’s fault for following it.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

On the refs side for this one. Couldn’t have been nice for him at all and he was probably dreading Leicester scoring, because it was bound to happen.

But rules are rules. Cardiff are in a relegation battle, if Gray wasn’t booked and then received a yellow later in the game, by law they should be down to 10. He’d probably have got a telling off from his bosses, possible demotion, this is his livelihood after all.

I think it’s a stupid rule anyway, particularly in this circumstance, but it’s not Probert’s fault for following it.

If we star waiving rules "just because" where will we end up?.............it's a stupid rule, perhaps authorities should repeal it.

13 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Then it would be a second yellow and he would be sent off, it's happened before and will happen again. Stupid rule but a rule nonetheless.

Yes, but my point is, you might take a yellow for the sake of the message you want to communicate, but would you be willing to take a red for a premeditated shirt off celebration. 

Maybe ine of his mates could take their shirt off instead, in that hypothetical circumstance. 

Billy Sharp didn't take his shirt off though so was within the rules.

In FIFA's law book there is also the following statement..

"Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal,"

Did Probert exercise common sense?

Archived