Leicester City owners helicopter crash

RoyMac5

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Was a sky news broadcast wasnt it?

I think a news crew was prepping for a broadcast, but unless Sky have started filming on periscope, this wasn't intended to be part of it.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Maybe the sack is too much. Maybe it was for big ron etc.

The apology was poor in my opinion though, he justifies it by saying it was private, leave your private chats to home not stood next to the memorial of the guy you are having a joke about.

He shouldn't be allowed to get away without punishment. What that is i dont know, he was there in his role in his job so the bbc should deal with it.

I understand people being annoyed. It's incredibly rude to talk like that stood just meters away from the memorial. The guy isn't paid to be a good and decent person off camera though, he's paid to report on football.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I know a chap who was a pilot in the USAF .Only ever flew planes, but he wouldn't even get in a helicopter unless he had no other option. His rationale was that if you're in a plane and the engine fails, you have at least a slim chance of gliding it to the ground. If that happens in a helicopter, it's not gliding anywhere ?

When the engine fails, it's still possible to do a controlled landing in a helicopter. It behaves much like a sycamore seed. It's called autorotation.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:
1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

When the engine fails, it's still possible to do a controlled landing in a helicopter. It behaves much like a sycamore seed. It's called autorotation.

Let me know how you get on with that! ?

As I remember from Gunship 2000 (that makes me feel old) it is quite possible, but only if you are high enough and travelling fast enough. Just after takeoff makes it very difficult.

My condolances to all affected.

4 hours ago, Anon said:

I hope they don't. Outrage culture is getting pretty tiresome to be honest. The guy said something crass at an inappropriate moment and has apologised. Why the nosey tw@ who filmed it on their phone thought this needed to be in the public sphere (£££££££) is beyond me.

I'm not sure I said I was outraged Anon but if you look at his CV and his post this is clearly a senior and experienced journalist who should know that nowadays no comment is ever off air.  The apology, to my mind anyway, has been pathetic given the circumstances and the actual comment - does Dan Roan actually know that the girl was his mistress or is he presuming? 

What if the comment had been made by a politician? The BBC and all other media organisations would be piling in for fun. At the moment all the BBC has said by way of explanation is that the guy has said he is sorry. Bet they wouldn't be accepting that from the Tories or Labour.

The fact is that other so called off air comments by other journalists have led to their sackings. Perhaps that isn't appropriate in this case but it is much more deserving of a higher level of attention than it appears to be getting currently from BBC management.

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

But not if its going too slow.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a6947f84240ea55538b9566c0a5aea4.jpeg

this is a height-velocity curve for a helicopter. Each helicopter has a slightly different graph. 

It was stated that the helicopter rose to a height of about 200 feet going fairly slowly and possibly backwards. It then hovvered for a few seconds just out of sight but with little forward velocity. At that point either the engine failed or the pilot disengaged or turned off the engine to counter spinning, and the combination of low height and low velocity meant it just fell out of the sky. 

Any combination of altitude and speed in the shaded area = disaster.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5a6947f84240ea55538b9566c0a5aea4.jpeg

this is a height-velocity curve for a helicopter. Each helicopter has a slightly different graph. 

It was stated that the helicopter rose to a height of about 200 feet going fairly slowly and possibly backwards. It then hovvered for a few seconds just out of sight but with little forward velocity. At that point either the engine failed or the pilot disengaged or turned off the engine to counter spinning, and the combination of low height and low velocity meant it just fell out of the sky. 

Any combination of altitude and speed in the shaded area = disaster.

I'm sure the AAIB will be grateful for your input, given they don't have access to the internet.

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I'm sure the AAIB will be grateful for your input, given they don't have access to the internet.

Wierd comment from the trainee vicar.

26 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Wierd comment from the trainee vicar.

I just don't see the point of speculating on the cause of an accident, or what measures the pilot could or couldn't have taken, which I assume is beyond your area of expertise.

If I assume wrong then I apologise.

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I just don't see the point of speculating on the cause of an accident, or what measures the pilot could or couldn't have taken, which I assume is beyond your area of expertise.

If I assume wrong then I apologise.

I'm replying to andy in liverpool, and speculating (based on what i've read) purely because - like many others - i'm quite shocked to realise that a helicopter can  just fall out of the sky. Having once been a passenger on the scilly isles helicopter that later crashed maybe i have my own reason to be interested. 

Not sure why that should prompt you to have a dig. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm replying to andy in liverpool, and speculating (based on what i've read) purely because - like many others - i'm quite shocked to realise that a helicopter can  just fall out of the sky. Having once been a passenger on the scilly isles helicopter that later crashed maybe i have my own reason to be interested. 

Not sure why that should prompt you to have a dig. 

Fair enough, my bad, although it wasn't clear you were replying to Andy from Liverpool in the post I quoted, but I can see looking back that was your aim.

You can see why I wasn't cut out for the preisthood, being a judgemental bugger.

On second thoughts, maybe I have missed my calling!

15 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

does Dan Roan actually know that the girl was his mistress or is he presuming?

Talking to my mate who is a Leicester uberfan and he says it was common knowledge and also a running joke amongst fans

She was the former  Miss Thailand and his personal assistant. He was a much older billionaire.

Funny that Roan actually said at the end of the quote that was overheard "we shouldn't judge"

That's my view - we shouldn't judge Vichai, and we shouldn't judge  Roan unless you have never ever once in your life made a private comment to a friend which was would have been wholly inapppropriate if you'd said it in public

You can argue that he should have known better given their were news crews around, but again - don't judge unless you've never ever made a bad decision or a mistake at work.

I'm not sticking up for him by the way - I'm just saying I'm a bit sick of holier than thou internet pile-ons (not aimed at anyone on here BTW)

16 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I'm not sure I said I was outraged Anon but if you look at his CV and his post this is clearly a senior and experienced journalist who should know that nowadays no comment is ever off air.  The apology, to my mind anyway, has been pathetic given the circumstances and the actual comment - does Dan Roan actually know that the girl was his mistress or is he presuming? 

What if the comment had been made by a politician? The BBC and all other media organisations would be piling in for fun. At the moment all the BBC has said by way of explanation is that the guy has said he is sorry. Bet they wouldn't be accepting that from the Tories or Labour.

The fact is that other so called off air comments by other journalists have led to their sackings. Perhaps that isn't appropriate in this case but it is much more deserving of a higher level of attention than it appears to be getting currently from BBC management.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about the outrage in general. I don't think you or anyone here has overreacted.

I agree that the media would be gleefully hauling any other public figure over the coals for this. I refuse to lower myself to the level of modern "journalists" though.

Not seen anyone else mention it and as it's the only Leicester thread on here.

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks Probert is an absolute rooster for booking Gray today?

Jesus Christ man, have some empathy and a bit of understanding of the emotions involved in football.

On another note, how about he actually does his proper job better and spot the absolute blatant hand ball, even if he's missed it, I don't care, the reaction of the Leicester players to a man, means there's no way it was anything but.

Not a hammerer of refs in general but ffs man, that was a joke.

Archived