Leicester City owners helicopter crash

RoyMac5

Awful. Not much you can say really that is good enough when something like this happens. Just hoping against hope there is some good news.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever the cause of this crash, I've always thought that landing helicopters on the pitch in the middle of a busy stadium is inherently risky and Inappropriate.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Whatever the cause of this crash, I've always thought that landing helicopters on the pitch in the middle of a busy stadium is inherently risky and Inappropriate.

To be fair, it’s normally an hour or so after the game has done, an helicopter can crash anywhere.

But you do have a point, I doubt this will be able to happen again in this country again unless in emergencies.

The owner of Wigan used to land his helicopter behind JJB at Pride Park when we played them.

But what if they used the car to drive away from the ground and the driver had an heart attach and ploughed into pedestrians?

its just a tragic accident, my heart goes out to the family, and the club, what a horrible way to go. RIP.

4 minutes ago, mozza said:

Can't help wondering if it 'clipped' something on take -off. 

So far all witness statements have said it was the tail rotor failing, credit to the pilots if true as they've most likely landed it in the best place possible. Could've easily gone so much worse, especially with fans/players/staff still in and around the stadium. 

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

To be fair, it’s normally an hour or so after the game has done, an helicopter can crash anywhere.

But you do have a point, I doubt this will be able to happen again in this country again unless in emergencies.

We were at Leicester a few years ago when they delivered the match ball by helicopter just before kick off. The helicopter came in very low over the stands which seemed inherently stupid.

32 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The owner of Wigan used to land his helicopter behind JJB at Pride Park when we played them.

But what if they used the car to drive away from the ground and the driver had an heart attach and ploughed into pedestrians?

its just a tragic accident, my heart goes out to the family, and the club, what a horrible way to go. RIP.

I've flown  helicopters, they are very difficult things to fly .They need constant input to keep stable and level as the air underneath the rotors is shaped like a dome and they simply fall off it if you do not input on the controls .

If the tail rotor failed then the aircraft would just spin on it's axis out of control.I was picked up by helicopter from Risley Hall hotel the pilot asked me if I had a prefered route ,I told him I wouldn't mind flying over my home .Sorry he replied it's single engined I can't go over built up areas it's too dangerous.

Terrible tragedy for all concerned , really nice guy not only for LCFC but the city in general .

1 hour ago, froggg said:

Awful,  terrible accident, hope everyone affected finds peace and resolution, could’ve been a lot worse had it come down on housing or anywhere that people were gathered, anyone heard if any first responders were injured?

Saw a report that 2 police officers were the first on the scene but couldn't get near due to the intensity of the flames ....

There is video of the take off where everything looks normal. Once the helicopter rises above the stands maybe the wind conditions are dramatically different and something changed.

According to one account, the engine stopped and there was a whirring sound. This sounds like a deliberate manoeuvre by the pilot to disengage the engine or turn it off, and land using 'autorotation'. Apparently all helicopter pilots are trained to do this. I read that is a standard response to counter the spinning caused if the rear rotar fails, by disengaging the engine. However if the speeds drops too much then it the situation become unrecoverable, and it stalls and falls to the ground rapidly with tragic consequences. 

"Owner believed to be one of five on board, along with 2 pilots and two other, as yet unnamed passengers"

Nothing has been confirmed.  No official statements regarding victims, survivors, injured etc.

Pilot now being hailed a hero for apparently (deliberately) steering the chopper away from what remained of any crowd/hangers-on etc (outside the stadium).

Archived