Chris Martin

BaaLocks

Last post on this:

1. I didn't start this thread, as has been confirmed, so what other posters write, about CMs of any description (see what I did there) is not my concern. But if you want a unified forum - hey ho, we all agree with you, in every way
  2. It wasn't a badly disguised dig, it was a question
  3. I like how you speak on behalf of all 'Chris Martin fans' by saying it is obvious it is over. Read the comments on the thread and you will see others do not feel that way
  4. Love the idea that we can only ask these questions on an international break - maybe make it a forum rule that we can only talk match related content when the team are playing. That woud work well, not!
  5. The point I was alluding to, that a 'fan boy' like you decided to ignore and stamp in your wee wee instead was what we do now. Your view appears to be 'his time here is done' so let's all just move on and enjoy the fun football we're playing. But what about the one in three striker (during his time with us) on the bench who has a contract to honour and a salary of five figures during that time. Oh sorry, best not bring it up for the thousandth time - let's just all move on, nothing to see here.
  6. Thank you for your reference to Crass - one of my favourite bands of the early 80s
  7. You didn't call me out - you just chose to leap to conclusions. Keep digging if it makes you feel better

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, small addendum - what would I do? Give him a free in January, encourage him to drop down a division and be a hero at a bigger club in that league like Sunderland, maybe Portsmouth or Coventry if they come up. Bring him on for 20 minutes of a game we are winning 2-0 and let him have a grand send off.

To no-one in particular, as you will no doubt recognise yourself :- 

Chris Martin, in addition to being a footballer, is a human being, and I think that he has been treated very badly by, first of all, Nigel Pearson, and subsequently, Gary Rowett. And of course this treatment covers both disrespect from a personal point of view, and extremely flawed tactical judgement vis a vis his ability as a footballer to contribute to the tactical philosophy of Derby County’s football following the ‘McLaren Era’.

This perception of his abilities as ‘a spent force’ has I feel more to do with this very treatment, than any ‘on field’ evidence; there hardly being any since he’s not been given any meaningful run of matches either by Pearson, Rowett, or any of the clubs he’s been sent out on loan to. And certainly not in the (McLaren) tactical system in which he was so spectacularly successful. This has of course resulted in him being singularly unappreciated at his loan clubs, not due I am convinced to any noticeable diminution in his innate ability as an intelligent footballer, but due in greater part to this ‘two year myth’ of him as “too old, too slow and a disruptive influence”, which should instead be interpreted as “vastly experienced, quicker thinking than most of his team mates, and a strong character who serves as an example to his team mates when the going gets tough.”

The situation with Frank Lampard may be viewed somewhat differently, as he has set out to play in a slightly different way to Steve McLaren (but likewise with a philosophy of ‘on the ground is best’) although I still feel that he could have fitted into this system with a slight ‘tweak’ of priorities.

All in all, a great centre forward for this club  still on our books, and who may still have a part to play. So, get off his back if you do not have the footballing intelligence to appreciate his qualities. Go support GR at Stoke, as your philosophy may match his !! 

On 26/10/2018 at 15:37, BaaLocks said:

SInce he finished at Fulham he's tracking at 1 in 18 strike rate in his spells at Hull and Reading.

Chris was a great servant for us, not being ungrateful or churlish, just wondering if the 'he could still do a job for us' brigade still has any active members?

No problem with this at all,in fact we need   people to ask questions like this.

Completely reasonable on a balanced (?)forum.

I feel you’ve had a bit of a miscarriage of justice with the thread but I like that too an old fashioned stitch up(I know David’s backed you up).

I think the club has moved on.

I would count myself as an active member of the ‘do a job for us ‘ brigade.

I’m also happy with the way we’re going.

It’s all good from me though?

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

To no-one in particular, as you will no doubt recognise yourself :- 

Chris Martin, in addition to being a footballer, is a human being, and I think that he has been treated very badly by, first of all, Nigel Pearson, and subsequently, Gary Rowett. And of course this treatment covers both disrespect from a personal point of view, and extremely flawed tactical judgement vis a vis his ability as a footballer to contribute to the tactical philosophy of Derby County’s football following the ‘McLaren Era’.

This perception of his abilities as ‘a spent force’ has I feel more to do with this very treatment, than any ‘on field’ evidence; there hardly being any since he’s not been given any meaningful run of matches either by Pearson, Rowett, or any of the clubs he’s been sent out on loan to. And certainly not in the (McLaren) tactical system in which he was so spectacularly successful. This has of course resulted in him being singularly unappreciated at his loan clubs, not due I am convinced to any noticeable diminution in his innate ability as an intelligent footballer, but due in greater part to this ‘two year myth’ of him as “too old, too slow and a disruptive influence”, which should instead be interpreted as “vastly experienced, quicker thinking than most of his team mates, and a strong character who serves as an example to his team mates when the going gets tough.”

The situation with Frank Lampard may be viewed somewhat differently, as he has set out to play in a slightly different way to Steve McLaren (but likewise with a philosophy of ‘on the ground is best’) although I still feel that he could have fitted into this system with a slight ‘tweak’ of priorities.

All in all, a great centre forward for this club  still on our books, and who may still have a part to play. So, get off his back if you do not have the footballing intelligence to appreciate his qualities. Go support GR at Stoke, as your philosophy may match his !! 

Top post, eloquently put !

23 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's still OUR player.

Yes and will remain so until his contract runs out. Ditto Butterfield, Anya etc. There are a fair few players who won't feature in Lampards set up. That's the point I was sort of trying to make... 

Remember last year when we were winning and the majority of fans claimed GR was an alchemist and Martin was finished...? in the back half of the season we really missed a player of Chris Martin's quality to help us control games better. He could still have done a job then and he could now. However, now we have a lot more choice and a style of play that is less susceptible to gifting the opposition possession so they can dominate us. Chris won't play for us again, doesn't mean he's become a bad player, we've just moved on and he needs a fresh start.

13 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Remember last year when we were winning and the majority of fans claimed GR was an alchemist and Martin was finished...? in the back half of the season we really missed a player of Chris Martin's quality to help us control games better. He could still have done a job then and he could now. However, now we have a lot more choice and a style of play that is less susceptible to gifting the opposition possession so they can dominate us. Chris won't play for us again, doesn't mean he's become a bad player, we've just moved on and he needs a fresh start.

Good post and spot on. We will always owe CM a debt of gratitude. He has been really good for us and will always be a Ram but you are right his time here is over. 

I really hope everything works out for him in the future 

On 26/10/2018 at 15:37, BaaLocks said:

SInce he finished at Fulham he's tracking at 1 in 18 strike rate in his spells at Hull and Reading.

Chris was a great servant for us, not being ungrateful or churlish, just wondering if the 'he could still do a job for us' brigade still has any active members?

Yes - Would have liked to see better hold up play in the last 20 mins against Boro - We weren't holding the ball well and as much as I love Nugent he's not a target man

That said - I wouldn't start Martin now and it's unfair on the guy to say he's definitely a backup player

On 26/10/2018 at 18:07, RoyMac5 said:

Better than Waghorn, for me.

Not sure I agree - Everyone said Waghorn was like Martin before he arrived but he isn't for me - Waghorn reminds me of a taller Jamie Ward - Tricky, good on the ball, insightful passer, links up well with the team and runs himself into the ground - Both could play as wingers or forwards too

Chris deserved better treatment from a series of managers and some fans but he earns a lot of money and should give his best at all times. He will be back at Derby in the summer I think and probably looking for another loan. Great pity for such a Derby hero. 

22 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Can’t find much mate.

This isn’t flattering,don’t know if it’s indicative?

TFo85DR.png

Have you seen Hull play football?!

If they expecting a chunky version of Nugent then they're clueless about how to play with Martin as a lone striker. 

Martin won’t play for Derby again and I say that with a heavy heart as I’m a huge fan. We’ve moved on he doesn’t fit into Frank’s style of play and he isn’t the player he was at the moment. I hope he can get a permanent move somewhere so he’s settled and then he can get back towards his best football. He might never do it through principle being a Norwich fan but I think Ipswich under Lambert would be a good fit for him both football wise and geographically as he could move back to his roots.

Was always a big fan of Martin when he was a constant feature in our side. He's the perfect front man for when we rely on second balls, there were countless times when he laid the ball off for an on-running Bryson, or when he played clever chipped passes for a winger cutting inside.

If he found his form again he'd be an absolutely perfect option for when we need to break teams down, he had great vision for midfielders breaking the lines, could win free kicks just outside the box and could hold off the press.

We don't have anyone in our team that can do this at the moment. He'd help Bryson, Wilson and Mount shine.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Can’t find much mate.

This isn’t flattering,don’t know if it’s indicative?

TFo85DR.png

cheers for that insight, obviously its only 1 persons opinion but its a shame. I think must Derby fans accept his rams career is over but i wish him all the best, he has been one of the best Derby strikers in many years.

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you seen Hull play football?!

If they expecting a chunky version of Nugent then they're clueless about how to play with Martin as a lone striker. 

From what I’ve seen through his recent interview and some twitter stuff Martin is still some way from being fully fit and it’ll probably take quite a bit of game time to get anywhere close.

As other have said it’ll be best for all if we moved on, but boy if Martin had missed that chance of Nugent’s and performed how Nuge did Saturday he would have been slaughtered...yet it’s very quiet on Nugent 

Archived