Chris Martin

BaaLocks

SInce he finished at Fulham he's tracking at 1 in 18 strike rate in his spells at Hull and Reading.

Chris was a great servant for us, not being ungrateful or churlish, just wondering if the 'he could still do a job for us' brigade still has any active members?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

SInce he finished at Fulham he's tracking at 1 in 18 strike rate in his spells at Hull and Reading.

Chris was a great servant for us, not being ungrateful or churlish, just wondering if the 'he could still do a job for us' brigade still has any active members?

Of course he can still do a job - now, whether it is a job that the team still needs doing is a very valid question.

The style has moved on, fast passing with a nippy poacher style centre forward who isn't being asked to act as an individual pivot means we look quite different to the team that Chris Martin thrived in.

However, for those occasions (possibly towards the end of a game) where you need the ball to "stick" up front and a few cute free kicks to be won to keep us high up the pitch then I reckon he could do that better than anyone else we have. Nuge is very similar (but older) than marriott so doesn't really offer differentiation.

But it's up to frank in a way - looking at how its coming together, Im certainly not about to state that Chris would be a better player in Franks system than what we already have! ?

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

If Frank was trying to play 4-3-3 in the 2014 guise then absolutely he could.  But since Klopp came to Liverpool, the high press is in vogue, and Chrissy is looking out of fashion with every passing week.  Much like what happened to small/speedy forwards like Michael Owen once Mourinho had every one playing bulldozers like Drogba upfront on their own...

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Better footballer for sure. But I'm guessing waghorn is there as much as cover for marriott as anything. That's all I can think of to explain blowing a big chunk of budget and playing him out of position. ....

Didn't he also play wide at Ipswich? But Bennett and Nuge cover Marriot for me. I don't dislike Waggy, he was just a bit unnecessary imo. 

Waghorn has a lot of quality, more so than I gave him credit for before signing. He's done a great job out on the wing for us in the past couple of games. I would hazard a guess that he would be a consistent performer in all three positions. 

Martin, yeah, he's definitely not the same player he was and I think he would struggle to get involved in the team here. I'm still surprised Mac didn't push the boat out for him and opted for Hemed instead. 

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

mrw-a-girl-that-i-like-turns-out-to-be-a

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't he also play wide at Ipswich? But Bennett and Nuge cover Marriot for me. I don't dislike Waggy, he was just a bit unnecessary imo. 

Played across the front I thought. Big Micks style was just to launch it into his general area and let him get on with it. 

Back in the day tho I thought he was vaguely central for Leicester. ....

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Waghorn has a lot of quality, more so than I gave him credit for before signing. He's done a great job out on the wing for us in the past couple of games. I would hazard a guess that he would be a consistent performer in all three positions. 

Martin, yeah, he's definitely not the same player he was and I think he would struggle to get involved in the team here. I'm still surprised Mac didn't push the boat out for him and opted for Hemed instead. 

Sarcasm? Hemed and Nakhi Wells are much better than Chris Martin. He was good once upon a time but I would not be surprised if Hull try to cut his loan short in January. Hopefully we have put in a clause that makes that impossible. 

Martin won’t perform again 100% until he gets a permanent move where he can be the main man and given some love.  He went out on loan and did nothing prior to coming to us. 

Trouble is, he’s getting on now bless him.

I still think he can offer someone a good option though, Sunderland would be a great fit for him. Big club and a big name, but his wages will be the biggest hindrance for other clubs, obviously not him though.

Good player, wont have helped him having little pre season and his illness. All the chopping and changing he has had in his career of late wont help either.

The Waghorn comments make little sense. Waggy was an auxiliary right back much of the second half today. His versatility is incredible. 

Martin is a (very good) centre forward but Lamps made his decision and I like how it's turned out so far. Hope Chrissy contributes by doing us a few favours at Hull. 

He was a great servant, but we’ve moved on.... as for the comment Martin is better than Waghorn, laughable that for me, think his experience has been invaluable against 3 top 6 sides..... we always struggled in past against teams in and around top 6.... even when Mac/Clem were here. We don’t now 

12 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

And he can’t get into Hulls side today 

And Hull have scored. Frazier Campbell. Not looking good for Chris Martin. I have said this before on here. I feel it's karma. Ever since he signed an extension with us while at Fulham AND went on strike he has not been the same player. 

Hope he proves me wrong for a change.

Archived