Is this Peter Sutcliffe on the ITV World Cup panel 1974?

oldtimeram

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From memory (this was the first WC I was old enough to take an interest in) it was a real disappointment.

Not many matches (only 16 teams but not England). Loads of low scoring games and it pee'd down with rain much of the time.

And wasn't there some very unsavoury scandal surrounding the Haiti team who got knocked out, flew home and promptly "disappeared" into Papa Doc's torture cells for daring to fail?

Argentina was much more fun a few years later. Mainly to laugh at Ally's Tartan Army.......?

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

From memory (this was the first WC I was old enough to take an interest in) it was a real disappointment.

Not many matches (only 16 teams but not England). Loads of low scoring games and it pee'd down with rain much of the time.

And wasn't there some very unsavoury scandal surrounding the Haiti team who got knocked out, flew home and promptly "disappeared" into Papa Doc's torture cells for daring to fail?

Argentina was much more fun a few years later. Mainly to laugh at Ally's Tartan Army.......?

Even Brazil were a bunch of thugs.

the tackle on Neeskens that bought the red card is a classic of its type.

Absolutely right.....it is Peter Sutcliffe. He'll probably have travelled down with big jack, (assuming jimmy saville isn't lurking off camera somewhere).

Jack tried to get him interested in fly fishing and shouting, but Pete was having none of it, and stuck to his task of smacking people over the head, whilst pretending to be schizo throughout the entire tournament. He particularly enjoyed the more violent matches, and offered his own unique insight. 

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That's the sort of thing I recall. Loads of fouls and stop -start action.

Those clips were truly eye watering. If that was reffed today it would end up 6 a side ?

More like abandoned!

Those clips remind me of schoolboy football, those were the days, wet sponge and get on with it lad. ?

8 hours ago, HantsRam said:

There has been much hilarity about the Zaire player running from the wall and booting the ball upfield.

In reality, as you alluded to, they were scared stiff in that game because the Govt back home had threatened the players and their family.

They were embarrassed after the Yugoslavia game and Brazil were up next. The defender just wanted to get the ball as far up the field as possible and waste time.  

Re Argentina, if you catch a documentary on Iplayer BBC Scotland about the 78 world cup it will have you laughing and sad at the same time. Allys family are interviewed and admitted that their dad was never the same after that.

15 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It's not Peter Sutcliffe - it's Dave Walton ?

The Jack Charlton - Derek Dougan tizz was the highlight of the tournament. TBF - Jack Charlton looks like he would know what to do with a set of bolt cutters in this photo.

i'm with Derek- how can we not be after his assistance in 71-72 in that final game amongst rumours of rampant skulldugerry by Dirty Leeds. 

NOTHING pleases me more than to score goals! That’s my business and goals are my commodity. Yet, when I scored that second goal to sink Leeds United’s chances of winning the Double, I felt a little sad. But only for a moment! Then I was delighted and not because it ended the tremendous bid by Leeds — and I cannot emphasise that too strongly. I was overjoyed simply because I am a striker and I am paid to score goals. If I don’t score, my employers are not going to be very happy.

On 26 October 2018 at 19:37, AndyinLiverpool said:

Even Brazil were a bunch of thugs.

the tackle on Neeskens that bought the red card is a classic of its type.

Ah yes, the off the ball skills and gentlemanly conduct of Brazil '74,

the artistry of the Dutch team, and

Brian Clough, master of the understatement.

Happy memories!

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Didn't everyone look like peter sutcliffe in the 70's???

That might explain why they had so much trouble catching him.

image.thumb.jpeg.64c39ad79de26aa3d424a419b3dee5cd.jpeg

On 27 October 2018 at 02:37, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

i'm with Derek- how can we not be after his assistance in 71-72 in that final game amongst rumours of rampant skulldugerry by Dirty Leeds. 

NOTHING pleases me more than to score goals! That’s my business and goals are my commodity. Yet, when I scored that second goal to sink Leeds United’s chances of winning the Double, I felt a little sad. But only for a moment! Then I was delighted and not because it ended the tremendous bid by Leeds — and I cannot emphasise that too strongly. I was overjoyed simply because I am a striker and I am paid to score goals. If I don’t score, my employers are not going to be very happy.

Hi, Sugar Plum here, come on!

Continuing my slightly sardonic thread (see above!) How could anyone accuse the angels of Leeds of underhand tactics in that game at Molyneux. It was purely coincidental that the referee found an extra six minutes of injury time when there were very few second half stoppages. (A regular occurrence now but almost unheard of in the early '70s)

It made no difference that members of the football Association were waiting to present Revie with the League Championship trophy which they had to take away under wraps and pass it to their 'favourite' manager Brian Clough instead.

How can anyone suggest that Leeds were a load of cheats? ???

BTW the mystery man next to Bobby Charlton's brother is the bodyguard he hired from Rent-a-Thug!

On 26/10/2018 at 16:26, HantsRam said:

My first WC to be properly aware of, I was nine, I fell in total love with the Total Football of Holland. What a team, gutted and cried when they lost the final. Good practice for future England WCs I guess! Mum bought me a Holland shirt,  beautiful, never knew what happened to it sadly. 

40 minutes ago, SKRam said:

My first WC to be properly aware of, I was nine, I fell in total love with the Total Football of Holland. What a team, gutted and cried when they lost the final. Good practice for future England WCs I guess! Mum bought me a Holland shirt,  beautiful, never knew what happened to it sadly. 

We got our first colour TV - a rented ITT job - for the final. I had no idea the Netherlands kit was bright orange until that moment!  ?

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

We got our first colour TV - a rented ITT job - for the final. I had no idea the Netherlands kit was bright orange until that moment!  ?

Iconic kit that Hants wasn’t it? I must have watched it in B&W we didn’t get a colour tv for a few more years. Our B&W had folding doors, evrefink! 

Archived