Fireworks!!!!

McRamFan

What is this nonsence I am reading about old people being scared of firework noises? If they are under 80 they will not let a few bangers upset them and if they are over 80 the chances are that they will have experienced far, far worse in their lifetime. 

If we are talking about irritating noises and banning noisy stuff how about starting with motorbikes, dogs (I would de-bark the lot of 'em) and planes.

?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally, I like fireworks. Usually go to the local display, which is very good. 

Regarding having them at home, I've never done that. For some reason, it doesn't seem to be much of a thing around where I live. Maybe demographics? We're all too old! 

Other places I've lived in the past,  it was more of an issue. Not one that personally bothered me, but I could see it would bother some, especially with young kids or pets. 

Haven't had a dog for many years, and won't have one now until I retire. Been fortunate, that my dogs were never bothered by fireworks. Could be like WW3 in next doors garden, and they'd barely open an eye. Sometimes used to look at me, as if to say "how much longer is that racket going on for?" 

Yet, in the middle of all the flash and bang, if someone was to close a car door anywhere within a hundred metres...... ?

I'm anti-home firework display but wouldn't mind so much if they were only done on 5th November. It's just the three week leeway either side of the date people are granted these days.

I know Guy Fawkes was a hero, but really, one day is enough adoration for anybody.

Then again, I don't lose my mind over seeing a bunch of lights in the sky at a cost of £500 for 10 minutes like some people.

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

I'm anti-home firework display but wouldn't mind so much if they were only done on 5th November. It's just the three week leeway either side of the date people are granted these days.

I know Guy Fawkes was a hero, but really, one day is enough adoration for anybody.

I suppose if your hero's are terrorists then yes i guess so.?

Just now, JoetheRam said:

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. ?

Very true...we could say the same for Osama i guess.

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This thread is way more explosive than any of the old politics threads.

Fascinated by @TigerTedds absolute love of loud bangs though.

They’re awesome, why wouldn’t you love them. I love thunder storms too. 

Theres a point, if you can’t deal with loud noises, we could ban all fireworks, but the you’d still have thunder storms to deal with. So probably better to just learn to love loud noises, and then you never have to worry about fireworks, or thunder storms. 

Living in Salford last year, some muppet decided to let a firework off through someone's letterbox. Thankfully nobody got killed. That's why we shouldn't allow the sale of fireworks to the general public. When they're professional done, firework displays look incredible. The Disney display is insanely good. But again, it's controlled by people who know what they're doing. Not by the neighbour, who's had too many cans and is letting off display type fireworks in his little garden. There's plenty of public displays in the local area where I live, people aren't missing out on a good firework so what's the point letting them off at home and annoying everyone else?

Fireworks done for the year. Half an hour, all over, wasn’t too painful for the neighbours. 

I did grab my neighbour with a dog and let them know when they were going off. He said he’d make a point to look out the window. 

They were probably a bit big for our little garden mind. By the finale, I got everyone to stand outside the back gate in case it all went a bit wrong. 

Ps Highly recommend mystic fireworks on Ashbourne road. Way better than the alternative which was to go to Aldi. 

Pps you know what kisses me off most about fireworks? Selection boxes. Not one of the fireworks in the is any good, and it’s usually just a tedious procession of back and forth light a firework, watching it for 10 seconds, then onto the next one. With a poo load of firework carcasses to get rid of on the morning. By the 7th or 8th it’s more like a duty or an endurance test to get through the whole pack, the joy has been sucked out of it. 

So I spent my budget on 3 or 4 bigguns this year. Over reasonably quickly, but a great show. 

On 25/10/2018 at 07:54, David said:

I have never been a fan of fireworks, never really understood the point, but when I became a dog owner and have seen how they effect him, it makes you think more about how others are effected, not just animals but people.

On 27/10/2018 at 10:32, ketteringram said:

Haven't had a dog for many years, and won't have one now until I retire. Been fortunate, that my dogs were never bothered by fireworks. Could be like WW3 in next doors garden, and they'd barely open an eye. Sometimes used to look at me, as if to say "how much longer is that racket going on for?" 

Yet, in the middle of all the flash and bang, if someone was to close a car door anywhere within a hundred metres...... ?

People talk a lot about dogs getting upset by fireworks, but our westie absolutely loved them. He'd watch out of the window, wagging his little tail and having a load of fun. Maybe he saw we were enjoying them and wanted to join in, but I think it helps if they can watch so they understand the bangs are coming from the pretty lights in the sky. 

And here's the beautiful "Fireworks" by Embrace as my gift to the thread (though for some reason it's not embedding). 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FHV4QEdQpYc

Archived