Fireworks!!!!

McRamFan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamNut said:

And unfortunately that also leads to the story of 'vile sadists who killed a cat by tying it to two rockets' and another story about some @rsehole pouring bleach over a hedgehog. 

Im getting to old cause i just think if they caught those responsible for deliberate acts like that just put em down,  will never serve any purpose to society. 

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Im not against people having fun, but would you put your hand on your heart and say the fireworks you let off you follow all the instructions and take all the appropriate safety measures? 

If so you either have a very big garden or the fireworks you let off are small ones.

There are plenty of options for people who want to do them at home. 

It doesn’t really affect me, my 1 year old rabbit went mad when she heard her first ones, which was a couple of weeks back, now she yawns and takes no notice.  I just feel for those it does affect, and probably have several weeks of distress so lots can have their 20 minutes of fun.

I don’t follow the safety instructions at all. I had to get everyone to stand outside the back garden for my last one. I’ve been party to a few malfunctioning fireworks, so I actually got a bit sensible and thought, hmm, I best put a fence between my children and this miniature bomb. 

But that’s all part of the fun. It’s all fun and games til someone gets hurt, of course. I totally get that, my love of fireworks is completely irrational, and anti social. How many people on this forum smoke, how many drive a bit too fast. We’re all a little bit stupid in the name of having a bit of fun or getting that little adrenalin hit. 

But at least I’m sensible enough to know and admit that. But I won’t apologise for it. I love them too much. 

I don’t expect people to think about others pets with their fireworks, the rocket that destroyed the couples home was probably a freak accident as was the 4 year old now with her neck scarred for life.

But this...

I will hold my hands up to being a little rogue when I was younger, but I can’t wrap my head around how 4 kids think this would be a laugh. Or am I just getting old and grumpy? Really struggling with this one.

5 minutes ago, David said:

I don’t expect people to think about others pets with their fireworks, the rocket that destroyed the couples home was probably a freak accident as was the 4 year old now with her neck scarred for life.

But this...

I will hold my hands up to being a little rogue when I was younger, but I can’t wrap my head around how 4 kids think this would be a laugh. Or am I just getting old and grumpy? Really struggling with this one.

Yeah but its everyone elses fault. Poor little mites are only having fun.

14 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I don’t follow the safety instructions at all. I had to get everyone to stand outside the back garden for my last one. I’ve been party to a few malfunctioning fireworks, so I actually got a bit sensible and thought, hmm, I best put a fence between my children and this miniature bomb. 

But that’s all part of the fun. It’s all fun and games til someone gets hurt, of course. I totally get that, my love of fireworks is completely irrational, and anti social. How many people on this forum smoke, how many drive a bit too fast. We’re all a little bit stupid in the name of having a bit of fun or getting that little adrenalin hit. 

But at least I’m sensible enough to know and admit that. But I won’t apologise for it. I love them too much. 

I cant answer that in a good way so i wont, other than to say at least your honest which is a good thing.

For what its worth.....

i used to like fireworks, both the little daft things you had in the back garden and the bigger commercial products used at public displays. However i always thought that there should be a serious limit on the power of fireworks available to the public due to the potential for accidents and mischief.

then....i went to a public display and nearly had my head removed by a firework that shot into the crowd. The people in front ducked and it exploded in between me and the girlfriend, about 6 inches from our faces. The missile blew our eardrums to bits and left us both with tinnitus for life.

until then i never realised just how powerful and dangerous these bloody things are. These are missiles. 

now i'm not really a fan of public displays due to the extra power of the fireworks. Personally, if people want a few sparklers and a tiny weedy little thing that produces some coloured smoke in the back garden , thats fine. Rockets that can launch a cat or destroy a house - no thanks.  

17 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

They're still going on! It's been every night for about 3 weeks now. Totally sick of it. If I wasn't in favour of banning them before, I am after this year. Completely over the top. 

I don’t get starting two weeks before. But I get why they’re going on tonight. November 5th was midweek (Monday). Some places make it the rule that they have a display the weekend before, some make it a rule that it’s the weekend after. Etwall has there’s on Friday, for example, which itself seems miles away from Monday after a long week. But if a display (even a house party) is always on the first Sunday after bonfire night, then that’s when it’s going to be. Even if I didn’t like fireworks, I would understand that there will be a 10 day period, from the Friday before to the Sunday after, where they could be going on. 

Anything outside that window, I’ll grant you, is taking the piss (butvthen you also have to factor in Diwali, and some people might keep some back for remeberance Sunday even). 

36 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

It is a traditional mark of respect to recreate the soundscape of the Somme, after all. 

I thought that as I typed. In fact at our parade today we had a whistle instead of a gunshot to mark the end of the silence, in memory of the last sound a lot of people would have heard before going over the top. I’m not sure if I’d set off fireworks for remembrance, but in Loughborough they are lighting beacons, so some people might consider fireworks as a more celebratory use of gunpowder lighting up the sky with joy (clutching at straws). 

Probablh wouldn’t do much for vets with PTSD though, hence it wouldn’t be my choice to mark remembrance, but not everyone is as clever as me. 

32 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Why are they still going off tonight?

Do you live in Hilton too then?

Even I’m struggling to defend this. The weekend before and after bonfire night, and the week in between, fair enough. And maybe Diwali. But people have to know when they need to be prepared. 

It’s the 17th November, nothing significant ever happened on 17tg November. 

Archived