Fireworks!!!!

McRamFan

I went to the local annual display with the kids... it made me think of Little Britain and that Barbara Cartland character that Matt Lucas plays.. when she writes a few lines and then goes 'and etc etc etc '...

I imagine them designing the display .... 'yeh a few little ones, some big ones..etc .etc. etc..'

Seems to be much less variety than there used to be...even the kids were all bit "so what". 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/10/2018 at 00:04, TigerTedd said:

I know. And I don’t care. I just love things that go bang and whizz. I’ve been known to spend £300 on fireworks before. Totally worth it. 

Hey up tedd - are you up for a deal?

get us a season ticket with that 300 notes and I’ll stand in your garden shouting BANG and shine my torch through your windows each night through the whole winter....

win win mate ?

my big problem with the is the fact it's no longer Bonfire Night, it's Bonfire Week.  I'm all for annual, organised displays in large parks, on or around the date, but when some dick head two streets over is letting off his bargain box from Aldi at 9:30 at night, 5 days after Nov 5th it's a pain in the f-in arse!!

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

my big problem with the is the fact it's no longer Bonfire Night, it's Bonfire Week.  I'm all for annual, organised displays in large parks, on or around the date, but when some dick head two streets over is letting off his bargain box from Aldi at 9:30 at night, 5 days after Nov 5th it's a pain in the f-in arse!!

Weds 7th Nov = Diwali.. That's even worse now than the 5th Nov.

On 24/10/2018 at 18:43, McRamFan said:

FFS it's 18:40 and some sadsac has started already.

Personally should be banned to public, organised displays only, imho.

It’s a blooming war zone from October to New year.

where do they get the money ?

where’s the joyful display of lights ?

just percussive bangs the louder the better. 

This isnt firework night as it should be ... it’s a huge and growing number of morons who need to be castrated or sterilised for the good of society

I am normally a libertarian but this is my red line. Public displays only or a decibel limit or SOMETHING.

Still I suppose they have to have something to spend the money they made from drug dealing; once they have the baseball cap and BMW with tinted windows init. 

Following the introduction of new laws:

Anyone using fireworks illegally can start pothole filling on the M1 at night without a hi viz and with no lane closures 

Alternatively ( as we like to offer choices ) working on a new trans highland highway in a chain gang with a  fisher price pick axe and shovel ( winter working only, in summer duty will switch to manual, naked, fat berg clearance in the sewer system. ) 

1 hour ago, jono said:

It’s a blooming war zone from October to New year.

where do they get the money ?

where’s the joyful display of lights ?

just percussive bangs the louder the better. 

This isnt firework night as it should be ... it’s a huge and growing number of morons who need to be castrated or sterilised for the good of society

I am normally a libertarian but this is my red line. Public displays only or a decibel limit or SOMETHING.

Still I suppose they have to have something to spend the money they made from drug dealing; once they have the baseball cap and BMW with tinted windows init. 

Following the introduction of new laws:

Anyone using fireworks illegally can start pothole filling on the M1 at night without a hi viz and with no lane closures 

Alternatively ( as we like to offer choices ) working on a new trans highland highway in a chain gang with a  fisher price pick axe and shovel ( winter working only, in summer duty will switch to manual, naked, fat berg clearance in the sewer system. ) 

Not a fan then. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Not a fan then. 

Gold star for observation ?

Oddly though, I am .. if it’s snap crackle pop and whoosh in brightly lit sky a few days either side of bonfire night or Divali 

What we have now is a 3 month season of mortar shells from about 6 PM through to midnight .. nothing to with kids, celebrations, archaic historical memorials or simple tradition. It’s a bunch of J Arthur Rankers frightening pets, messing up my sleep and being a bunch of general tossers. 

Castrate them, or get them in the sewers doing some useful work. 

Bring back national service ?

18 hours ago, Lambchop said:

My friend's dog has wet itself in fright. 

58A1B1C2-06E3-47FC-893D-EE7FB9D69BBE.jpeg

I felt terrible dragging mine out last night, as he'd been cooped up most of the day and, strangly, doesn't like peeing in our garden.  6:30, and it might as well have been the Blitz!!!

Start of October mine refuses point blank to go into the garden once it gets dark, early December he will start venturing out again slowly going to toilet right outside the door. 

Will only go if I take him out the front for a quick walk around the block so it’s 4pm and 10pm walkies.

I see in the news a horse died, that scared it twisted it’s guts. The owner said she knew it was petrified of fireworks and prepares for Bonfire night, but this wasn’t Bonfire night and that’s the point, how on earth can you prepare your animals for the blitz when they go off for months?

On trying to find the link for the story, just seen another from 2hrs ago, a dog died from a heart attack

https://apple.news/AOgEz7S_CREyR5JdBM4PR8Q

The horse story

https://apple.news/Auztp2rCETF-Vdud5d2CJLQ

Not a animal lover?

How about a 4 year old with a scarred for life neck after a firework hit her and set her coat on fire

https://apple.news/A1c75BB29RHmQfXbl0ibcDg

Hopefully one day something will be done about fireworks. ?

1 hour ago, David said:

Start of October mine refuses point blank to go into the garden once it gets dark, early December he will start venturing out again slowly going to toilet right outside the door. 

Will only go if I take him out the front for a quick walk around the block so it’s 4pm and 10pm walkies.

I see in the news a horse died, that scared it twisted it’s guts. The owner said she knew it was petrified of fireworks and prepares for Bonfire night, but this wasn’t Bonfire night and that’s the point, how on earth can you prepare your animals for the blitz when they go off for months?

On trying to find the link for the story, just seen another from 2hrs ago, a dog died from a heart attack

https://apple.news/AOgEz7S_CREyR5JdBM4PR8Q

The horse story

https://apple.news/Auztp2rCETF-Vdud5d2CJLQ

Not a animal lover?

How about a 4 year old with a scarred for life neck after a firework hit her and set her coat on fire

https://apple.news/A1c75BB29RHmQfXbl0ibcDg

Hopefully one day something will be done about fireworks. ?

And this. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/Derby-news/Derby-house-destroyed-after-giant-731508

But its ok, its only a bit of fun you know. 

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

And this. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/Derby-news/Derby-house-destroyed-after-giant-731508

But its ok, its only a bit of fun you know. 

Not everyone loves animals, I understand and accept that.

But this is awful. House destroyed and homeless for Christmas. 

Sad thing is it will be brushed off as one of those things, accidents happen. 

At what point are we going to say enough is enough. ?

1 minute ago, David said:

Not everyone loves animals, I understand and accept that.

But this is awful. House destroyed and homeless for Christmas. 

Sad thing is it will be brushed off as one of those things, accidents happen. 

At what point are we going to say enough is enough. ?

Agree. If you look at the instructions on average fireworks you are supposed to be further away than the size of most back gardens. 

Fireworks that are over a certain noise level or size should be banned unless you have a licence to run a properly managed event. Doest mean people cant have fun and fireworks but of more of a sensible level. 

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree. If you look at the instructions on average fireworks you are supposed to be further away than the size of most back gardens. 

Fireworks that are over a certain noise level or size should be banned unless you have a licence to run a properly managed event. Doest mean people cant have fun and fireworks but of more of a sensible level. 

I’ve just realised what a huge hypocrite I am. Whenever there’s a thread about the latest mass shooting in America, I’m the first to say that stupid gun nuts have no real reason to want guns, they just make up poo excuses, but really the only reason they have is that they like guns. 

And I have no particularly good argument for why we should keep fireworks, apart from the fact that I really like them. 

I could say, fireworks aren’t as bad as guns, so at least there’s that. If I could, I’d be firing off my m16 into the air at New Years. But someone far more sensible than I told me that’s not allowed, and stopped me buying an m16. 

I could say that people die all the time in car crashes, but no ones saying we should ban cars. A few isolated incidents involving fireworks shouldn’t be cause to ban them for everyone. But then I really do sound like an nra lobbyist, and the counter argument would be that cars serve a purpose, and fireworks really don’t. 

I wouldn’t start a protest if the government put more legislation on fireworks, the sensible part of me says it’s probabky a good idea. But the rest of me says I’m gojng to keep buying fireworks until someone official tells me I’m not allowed to anymore. And then I would probably try and get a licence (but as I’ve always said about guns, anyone who actually wants a gun licence is probably too mental to be allowed to have one, same probably applies for fireworks). 

So i guess I’ll have my fun while it lasts. And then I might go to Myanmar or something once a year to get my Big Bang yah-yahs out of my system (night even get to okay with real land mines and poo too). 

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’ve just realised what a huge hypocrite I am. Whenever there’s a thread about the latest mass shooting in America, I’m the first to say that stupid gun nuts have no real reason to want guns, they just make up poo excuses, but really the only reason they have is that they like guns. 

And I have no particularly good argument for why we should keep fireworks, apart from the fact that I really like them. 

I could say, fireworks aren’t as bad as guns, so at least there’s that. If I could, I’d be firing off my m16 into the air at New Years. But someone far more sensible than I told me that’s not allowed, and stopped me buying an m16. 

I could say that people die all the time in car crashes, but no ones saying we should ban cars. A few isolated incidents involving fireworks shouldn’t be cause to ban them for everyone. But then I really do sound like an nra lobbyist, and the counter argument would be that cars serve a purpose, and fireworks really don’t. 

I wouldn’t start a protest if the government put more legislation on fireworks, the sensible part of me says it’s probabky a good idea. But the rest of me says I’m gojng to keep buying fireworks until someone official tells me I’m not allowed to anymore. And then I would probably try and get a licence (but as I’ve always said about guns, anyone who actually wants a gun licence is probably too mental to be allowed to have one, same probably applies for fireworks). 

So i guess I’ll have my fun while it lasts. And then I might go to Myanmar or something once a year to get my Big Bang yah-yahs out of my system (night even get to okay with real land mines and poo too). 

Im not against people having fun, but would you put your hand on your heart and say the fireworks you let off you follow all the instructions and take all the appropriate safety measures? 

If so you either have a very big garden or the fireworks you let off are small ones.

There are plenty of options for people who want to do them at home. 

It doesn’t really affect me, my 1 year old rabbit went mad when she heard her first ones, which was a couple of weeks back, now she yawns and takes no notice.  I just feel for those it does affect, and probably have several weeks of distress so lots can have their 20 minutes of fun.

Archived