Fireworks!!!!

McRamFan

6 minutes ago, David said:

So basically two fingers up to everyone that lives around you because people are selfish anyway, why not join the party and scare the living daylights out of others whilst putting a strain on the emergency services. 

You're starting to win me over with this, I might start wearing a disguise and start banging on doors in August demanding beers or I'll let the neighbours tyres down.

Now your changing the subject to trick or treating. If you live in an area with loads of kids, and everyone really gets into it, like I do, then it’s really good fun. Rules are, if they’ve got a jack o lantern, they’re joining in (although half the houses are empty and just have a bucket of sweets on the door step, cos they’re out trick or tearing themselves). From about 5 to 7 in Hilton, it’s like the trick or treating scene from et or stranger things. Streets full of kids and parents. It’s really good fun. Some houses even deck there whole garage out as a fun/horror house. 

I must admit, I’d be happy to limit loud fireworks to one week around November 5th, and New Year’s Eve. Outside of that is a bit unnecessary. 

I think people must have birthdays and things and see fireworks are on sale, and I’m not down with that. 

But if you don’t like it during ‘the season’, you know where Spain is. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Now your changing the subject to trick or treating. If you live in an area with loads of kids, and everyone really gets into it, like I do, then it’s really good fun. Rules are, if they’ve got a jack o lantern, they’re joining in (although half the houses are empty and just have a bucket of sweets on the door step, cos they’re out trick or tearing themselves). From about 5 to 7 in Hilton, it’s like the trick or treating scene from et or stranger things. Streets full of kids and parents. It’s really good fun. Some houses even deck there whole garage out as a fun/horror house. 

I must admit, I’d be happy to limit loud fireworks to one week around November 5th, and New Year’s Eve. Outside of that is a bit unnecessary. 

I think people must have birthdays and things and see fireworks are on sale, and I’m not down with that. 

But if you don’t like it during ‘the season’, you know where Spain is. 

Because I don't like anti social behaviour I should move to a different country, what a great solution that is, I will speak with missus later and see if she's up for it.

Those who love and support them are obviously not affected by the scared kids/pets/old folk etc. When it does affect them they’ll change their minds of course. 

I’ve seen a call for silent fireworks so why can’t this be a compromise that suits all? You get your pretty displays, which they are, but you don’t turn people and pets into quivering wrecks. 

We have a wedding venue a couple of miles from us and have to suffer them more regularly. The little one next door screaming at midnight because she’s been scared to death isn’t fun. Neighbourhood dogs barking at them etc, it’s selfish. 

If you’re thrilled by loud bangs I find it plain weird. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Because I don't like anti social behaviour I should move to a different country, what a great solution that is, I will speak with missus later and see if she's up for it.

I didn’t suggest you move. That’s a bit extreme. Just go on holiday. Maybe somewhere in the middle of the Lake District in a tent so your dog can run around. 

5 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Those who love and support them are obviously not affected by the scared kids/pets/old folk etc. When it does affect them they’ll change their minds of course. 

I’ve seen a call for silent fireworks so why can’t this be a compromise that suits all? You get your pretty displays, which they are, but you don’t turn people and pets into quivering wrecks. 

We have a wedding venue a couple of miles from us and have to suffer them more regularly. The little one next door screaming at midnight because she’s been scared to death isn’t fun. Neighbourhood dogs barking at them etc, it’s selfish. 

If you’re thrilled by loud bangs I find it plain weird. 

Slurrrrpppp!

thats the sound of people sucking the fun out of everything. 

I’ve got kids. That’s the point. They were scared of thunder too. Til I taught them it’s not something to be afraid of but something to have fun with. They’re still a bit nervous, and hide behind my legs, but love it at the same time. I think thrilling is the right adjective. 

No one will change my mind. I personally rather give up alcohol than fireworks. 

24 minutes ago, David said:

Amusement in others suffering how nice, not for me. Again, each to their own, if that's what puts a smile on your face.

Sorry mate - assumed you were on the wind up as the response seemed a bit dramatic. I was amused at the response, not the suffering. If you genuinely find the loud bangs scary and they cause you to mentally suffer then I apologise

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I didn’t suggest you move. That’s a bit extreme. Just go on holiday. Maybe somewhere in the middle of the Lake District in a tent so your dog can run around. 

Go on holiday from the start of October till January, don't get me wrong it sounds nice and all, but I doubt I could go that long without a phone signal and the missus boss might not approve.

There is another solution that allows those find enjoy fireworks and seeing their kids knock on strangers doors begging, limit the days they can be set off. That way we can all prepare for those days knowing displays will take place.

Fireworks 5th November, 7th November and the 1st of January. 

We don't need a week, month or even 3 of sporadic loud bangs through the night, it's too much.

Allow silent fireworks throughout the year, watch your money go up into pretty lights every night of the year.

As for trick or treat, under 10s and only houses which display welcome signs/decorations.

This way fun is not banned and nobody has to take vacations into the middle of nowhere for months.

5 minutes ago, David said:

As for trick or treat, under 10s and only houses which display welcome signs/decorations.

That's pretty much how it works now. When we go trick or treating we only ever go to the houses with the signs/lanterns.

The community groups also make this clear with leaflets in the week before. If your neighbourhood has a problem with this not being adhered to, then I'd raise it with the local community groups, or if there aren't any and you feel passionately about it, take positive action yourself

Fireworks yeah - 5th November and realistically the weekend closest to. Even Jan 1st I don't get the fireworks thing. That's only a recent occurence isn't it? I don't ever remember people doing their own fireworks at midnight. Usually everyone is too drunk by then in our house.

18 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Slurrrrpppp!

thats the sound of people sucking the fun out of everything. 

I’ve got kids. That’s the point. They were scared of thunder too. Til I taught them it’s not something to be afraid of but something to have fun with. They’re still a bit nervous, and hide behind my legs, but love it at the same time. I think thrilling is the right adjective. 

No one will change my mind. I personally rather give up alcohol than fireworks. 

If you want to enjoy scaring your kids introduce them to Freddie Kruger then you can do it without involving the whole neighbourhood. Sorted. 

We enjoy it but it does get on our wick that it goes on so long.

Trick or treating isn’t a problem either as although we don’t mind the dogs put them off.

I might have a go at turning Aggie into a Katyusha mobile launcher by fastening some drainpipes on her back and launching raids on the noisiest houses.

(I’m not really before some gets offended or goes???).

1 hour ago, David said:

Go on holiday from the start of October till January, don't get me wrong it sounds nice and all, but I doubt I could go that long without a phone signal and the missus boss might not approve.

There is another solution that allows those find enjoy fireworks and seeing their kids knock on strangers doors begging, limit the days they can be set off. That way we can all prepare for those days knowing displays will take place.

Fireworks 5th November, 7th November and the 1st of January. 

We don't need a week, month or even 3 of sporadic loud bangs through the night, it's too much.

Allow silent fireworks throughout the year, watch your money go up into pretty lights every night of the year.

This way fun is not banned and nobody has to take vacations into the middle of nowhere for months.

That’s what I mean. Im all for that. Fireworks in October is unnecessary. If it’s just one week of the year (and I get if the 5th falls on a Wednesday, there could be parties on the preceding or subsequent weekends, so it would have to be a whole week), and you really can’t stand it, then at least you’ve got a set week each year you can prepare for, by going to Spain. 

That’s what I meant. 

It wasn’t meant to be a ‘duck off to Spain then, you unpatriotic twit.’ Although in hindsight, I can see how that could be inferred.

And yeah, trick or treating following certain social norms and rules is great, when it’s 15 year olds just asking for money from old people, and chucking eggs at cars, it’s not okay.

my daughters 9 though. I’d hate to tel her this is her last year. She really enjoys it. But maybe that’s because we’ve got a 2 and 3 year old, so she’s sort of dragged down in maturity by younger siblings, rather than dragged up by older siblings. So in a few years, I’d expect her to still be trick or treating, but taking her brother and sister out, saving us a job. And probably when their 10, they’ll be just be hanging out with her and her friends smoking weed and watching Freddy Krueger.

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Till you have spent Diwali in somewhere like Mumbai let me tell you that you have no idea what the meaning of noise is wrt fireworks. First time I was there I thought we were under Desert Storm.

I’d actually love that. That’s added to my bucket list. 

18 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I was going to start this thread; they piss me off. 

Have silent ones like they do in SA. 

Yes, they make up for it with their guns  mind.

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

or if there aren't any and you feel passionately about it, take positive action yourself

That’s what I do, tell them to fook off. Anyone knocking on my door over the age of 10 gets told to do one. I even hate giving the little ones things. Poxy American pile of poo.

Fireworks.. I hate them,, Ban them and if you let them off after 10 you’re a selfish twit who needs burning at the steak. Or perhaps we should all go round to your mums and scare her.. 

Bankers. 

53 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

That’s what I do, tell them to fook off. Anyone knocking on my door over the age of 10 gets told to do one. I even hate giving the little ones things. Poxy American pile of poo.

Fireworks.. I hate them,, Ban them and if you let them off after 10 you’re a selfish twit who needs burning at the steak. Or perhaps we should all go round to your mums and scare her.. 

Bankers. 

Oh dear - I could just picture you with a sparkler as well. Now you've ruined bonfire night forever ?

Archived