Dr Who

dog

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I personally preferred previous iterations of Dr Who, David Tennant being my favourite, this current Dr Who seems to have aliens as almost as side plot, when for me it should be an essential part of the story. It's not to my tastes this current version.

Becoming more history than sci fi, I mean I’m all for a bit of history, but it’s not the show for an education. By all means it’s gotta be set historically but that shouldn’t be the focal point of the story. Granted they did mix it up with some weird btec red dwarf attempt last week

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Becoming more history than sci fi, I mean I’m all for a bit of history, but it’s not the show for an education. By all means it’s gotta be set historically but that shouldn’t be the focal point of the story. Granted they did mix it up with some weird btec red dwarf attempt last week

I agree. I watch TV to be entertained, whilst learning stuff on the side would be nice, I don't want to watch a show like Dr Who to be lectured to on history, I'd much rather storylines about Daleks/Weeping Angels/The Master than learning things. I think the show has lost it's way a bit.

42 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

So when the white, patriarchal, heteronormative, ableist etc boxes were being ticked every single week, since forever, that wasn't boring because, presumably, that just reflects the way the world is, or ought to be.

Quite right too.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

I agree. I watch TV to be entertained, whilst learning stuff on the side would be nice, I don't want to watch a show like Dr Who to be lectured to on history, I'd much rather storylines about Daleks/Weeping Angels/The Master than learning things. I think the show has lost it's way a bit.

By that definition, it’s actually finding its way more. What you’ve just described is exactly the  show’s creator’s original vision for it. Dr who is exactly the show to entertain and teach a bit of history at the same time. Even stuff set in the future is meant to be allegorical of things that are happening now. 

So it’s fulfilling its brief. Maybe in the past it’s not fulfilled it’s brief as well as it should, it’s been more subtle about teaching you stuff. But if you’re concerned about being educated and challenged while you’re being entertained, maybe who isn’t for you. 

Its what makes who the perfect flagship for the bbc, who’s mission (when you sift away any political bias or other balls) is to inform, educate and entertain. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

By that definition, it’s actually finding its way more. What you’ve just described is exactly the  show’s creator’s original vision for it. Dr who is exactly the show to entertain and teach a bit of history at the same time. Even stuff set in the future is meant to be allegorical of things that are happening now. 

So it’s fulfilling its brief. Maybe in the past it’s not fulfilled it’s brief as well as it should, it’s been more subtle about teaching you stuff. But if you’re concerned about being educated and challenged while you’re being entertained, maybe who isn’t for you. 

Its what makes who the perfect flagship for the bbc, who’s mission (when you sift away any political bias or other balls) is to inform, educate and entertain. 

That's fine, but it doesn't appeal to me. That's my only point. I don't care about briefs or the original series. The Dr Who I enjoyed wasn't much about education, and that was fine, because it was enjoyable to watch. This current Dr Who doesn't appeal to me at all because it's too focused on education rather than entertainment. I've stopped watching until the writing changes for now because I no longer find it enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:29, Lambchop said:

The extent to which people get triggered by political correctness is an exact measure of the extent to which they still need to hear about it. 

This sounds very profound and like many such statements seeks to gain some mythical high ground such that all non believers are some sort of pond life.

The issue with all this stuff is that it is pushed by a few zealots out of all proportion to its true importance and many people , me included, do not respond well to things being pushed down our throats. The net result is it promotes the exact opposite of the effect the PC Brigade desire.

Dr Who is supposedly entertainment not propaganda, and when the propaganda is so obvious it has failed utterly. Think Lord Haw Haw in the war. A historical figure of fun now. ( A future episode in the making perhaps).  

Archived