Dr Who

dog

On 21/10/2018 at 20:11, dog said:

I'm a sucker for well done sci fi 

Was worried about the new series but jwhit seems to be doing ok

Interested to know others' thoughts

I'm enjoying it and particularly like that this weekend's episode visited a true historical occasion. They seemed to do that a lot more in past series but it's been missing in the very recent ones? 

I like the new team now - they are starting to gell. My niece,  who also has dyspraxia,  is a bit cynical about how that will play out,  so I will be watching with a particular interest. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/10/2018 at 11:31, Wolfie said:

Really?. Age maybe but all have been white and male. There was a ginger one, I suppose, but that's about it.

Maybe it's just me but other than allowing the BBC to tick the diversity box, I can't come up with a good reason for the change. And that's not just coming from nostalgia.

It’s not just you,  that’s exactly what it is!

However as a seasoned Doctor who fan, I’ve enjoyed the 1st 3 episodes and think she’s plays the Doctor role excellently so far.....maybe change is not so bad after all. 

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:41, TexasRam said:

It’s not just you,  that’s exactly what it is!

However as a seasoned Doctor who fan, I’ve enjoyed the 1st 3 episodes and think she’s plays the Doctor role excellently so far.....maybe change is not so bad after all. 

You can see it as a diversity tick-box exercise or you can see it as an attempt to go in a fresh direction and bring in some change. It's not playing the safe option, which I can't help but think must be a good thing. Not sure why it's gone down so badly in some circles - we've had women on telly for years. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

You can see it as a diversity tick-box exercise or you can see it as an attempt to go in a fresh direction and bring in some change. It's not playing the safe option, which I can't help but think must be a good thing. Not sure why it's gone down so badly in some circles - we've had women on telly for years. 

Babe station would be crap without women. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2018 at 14:31, GboroRam said:

Ticking all the boxes now, the US civil rights movement, a preganant man and now how bad the British Empire was. Wonder what next week will be, white privallige with the Daleks. The BBC looney left have ruined a Quintessentially British masterpiece ?

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Ticking all the boxes now, the US civil rights movement, a preganant man and now how bad the British Empire was. Wonder what next week will be, white privallige with the Daleks. The BBC looney left have ruined a Quintessentially British masterpiece ?

Completely disagree.  This episode was all about india and Pakistan.  Central was religion.  Not watched it for 10’s of years and very impressed how edgy the series is.  Fearless in the way it is approaching sensitive issues.  The Rosa Parks episode was excellent but I hated the pregnant man one old fashioned and stale

10 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Completely disagree.  This episode was all about india and Pakistan.  Central was religion.  Not watched it for 10’s of years and very impressed how edgy the series is.  Fearless in the way it is approaching sensitive issues.  The Rosa Parks episode was excellent but I hated the pregnant man one old fashioned and stale

Rather have monsters answer Aliens than the BBC peddling it’s agenda, it’s boring 

44 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Rather have monsters answer Aliens than the BBC peddling it’s agenda, it’s boring 

Got to agree with @Spanish, i thought it was the best yet. If you want monsters and aliens, try the x-files. Doctor who’s original brief was as a fun way to deliver history lessons, and I’ve learnt loads about Rosa Parks and the partition that I never new before, as well as wrapping all that up in a genuinely enjoyable time traveling caper.

And they may be ticking boxes, but I’d hasten to bet that there’s a large demographic in the uk punching the air that an issue close to their heart, but completely bypassed by the rest of us, is being brought to the fire for once. (Not that I know any Pakistanis, maybe they hated it, be nice to hear a more educated opinion).

And all that without ‘ticking boxes’. It was a genuinely compelling story for me, even if I’m not emotionally invested, I can only imagine it’s doubly compelling for someone who is.

’ticking boxes’ would be something like ‘the BBC2 Indian subcontinent takeover - everything from bangra to Bollywood for 24 hrs.’ This isn’t that.

14 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Got to agree with @Spanish, i thought it was the best yet. If you want monsters and aliens, try the x-files. Doctor who’s original brief was as a fun way to deliver history lessons,

And let's not forget that the "classic" Dr Who Dalek stuff like "Genesis Of The Daleks" was literally based on the Nazis

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

And let's not forget that the "classic" Dr Who Dalek stuff like "Genesis Of The Daleks" was literally based on the Nazis

Oh yeah, they’re little arms are doing a nazi salute. 

And there’s nothing more left wing than defeating the nazis. 

18 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Ticking all the boxes now....

17 hours ago, TexasRam said:

... it’s boring 

So when the white, patriarchal, heteronormative, ableist etc boxes were being ticked every single week, since forever, that wasn't boring because, presumably, that just reflects the way the world is, or ought to be. 

And when the world changes, and people marginalised, since forever, begin to get some degree of recognition and acceptance, a show like Dr Who shouldn't reflect that, because that's pushing an agenda. 

I personally preferred previous iterations of Dr Who, David Tennant being my favourite, this current Dr Who seems to have aliens as almost as side plot, when for me it should be an essential part of the story. It's not to my tastes this current version.

Archived