Unpopular topic? - South Stand

Sowter

On 21/10/2018 at 00:09, Sowter said:

Is the south stand the worst thing ever to grace Pride Park?

Personally, having sat in the same seat in the east stand for over 15 year I believe so..

Initially intended to create a better atmosphere, but by offering cheaper ST’s? 

After 70mins today (Shef Utd) it was good. My question....

Why is it so horrific for 70 mins? No noise apart from one block on the top corner?

Bring back the South East Corner! ?

Fair question,it was bloody brilliant when it got going.

Everyone’s so tense and nervy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/10/2018 at 17:55, B4ev6is said:

I am in the east there singers in the east stand I am one of them.

But unfortnley turned into another family stand.

Yeah we don't want to be encouraging young kids to go, much rather have the Stone Island brigade who spend 45 minutes on their phone and the other 45 minutes hurling obscenities. 

Just a few of the characters around me in the East lower:

group of youths come late, leave early, go for a pint at 40 mins and have weaker bladders than your nan

moaning old git(s) slagging off current scapegoat and shouting ‘forward’ every 2 mins

mum and kid, she’s eating salad out of a box, he’s on his iPhone XS and admiring his trainers

gran and grandkid, she’s plugged into radio derby and he eats chocolate, crisps and more chocolate. He’ll need 2 seats next season. 

This is real! We clap and sing. We also look at the south stand with their arms folded half the time. When will the fans listen to the players when they say that a great atmosphere lifts them and gives them an advantage??

Well I think that in the main the South Stand are great and if the football's good they are really great. Do we really want to go back to away fans massed behind the goal? And when the bounce works it looks fantastic.

There's a lot of rose coloured tosh spoken about the BBG days.  43 years ago tonight the noise and atmosphere was incredible. But it wasn't routinely like that and I can remember the same issues being raised about a lack of vocal support when we were playing well in the first division. It could be good at the BBG just as it can be fantastic at PP, just not always so.

Probably lots of reasons why, from seats to societal changes, from the pre-match build up to personal embarrassment about shouting, new stadia versus old, but it's not only us. Old Trafford is quiet by comparison to yesteryear, so too Anfield and Arsenal and Chelsea but all of those grounds will be noisy when the big matches come and the home team's playing well and scoring goals. Just as Pride Park will be.

Well I watched the second half of the Arsenal game last night, I didn’t hear any atmosphere from the home fans at all, and they scored 2 goals in quick time and had a few other great chances.

Its modern football I’m afraid.

I remember chanting “Derbyshire Derbyshire Derbyshiiiiiiirrrre” do we sing that now?  Times a changing.

On 21/10/2018 at 13:39, jimbobram said:

I sit to the left of the goal in the SS and i genuinely think the atmosphere is poor. Hardly anyone sings and you can barely hear what the guys up the top are trying to get going. People moved to the SS because of cheaper seats rather than to help with atmosphere. I don't understand why you go to football to just sit and watch the game, for me the atmosphere makes it special

mobile phones the root of all evil,people spend more time on twitter or facebook than actually watching the game,more concerned that ooh look forest are losing instead of bothering about how there team are doing

On 21/10/2018 at 23:29, Ambitious said:

Everyone wants a good atmosphere, but not everyone is willing to help the atmosphere. 

The South Stand is stuffed full of people who start chants. Derby should offer free season tickets or something to some of those kind of people to sit elsewhere in the ground, so that we get a proper atmosphere back. 

The Club could go fully analytical and reward these people for the total number of chants per game (as a collective) or decibels achieved, or chant variety with 'goodies'.

14 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I shove away fans sw corner and have south east corner back.

Oi B4 you can’t move us out the corner !!! 

We’re the corner, we’re the corner, we’re the corner over here ?

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Doubt it mate, signal’s poo at Pride Park!

I'm sure the signal is fine at Pride Park, it's probably more to do with there being 10,000 people lookinh what next door had for dinner the previous night, or checking their acca/super 6/fantasy league/other teams scores.

18 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Well I think that in the main the South Stand are great and if the football's good they are really great. Do we really want to go back to away fans massed behind the goal? And when the bounce works it looks fantastic.

There's a lot of rose coloured tosh spoken about the BBG days.  43 years ago tonight the noise and atmosphere was incredible. But it wasn't routinely like that and I can remember the same issues being raised about a lack of vocal support when we were playing well in the first division. It could be good at the BBG just as it can be fantastic at PP, just not always so.

Probably lots of reasons why, from seats to societal changes, from the pre-match build up to personal embarrassment about shouting, new stadia versus old, but it's not only us. Old Trafford is quiet by comparison to yesteryear, so too Anfield and Arsenal and Chelsea but all of those grounds will be noisy when the big matches come and the home team's playing well and scoring goals. Just as Pride Park will be.

Well said, sir.

Thread complete - nothing else to see here.

Archived