Unpopular topic? - South Stand

Sowter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Well the occupant of the South sofa was in good voice yesterday. The chairperson to the East sat mute throughout. Pity she found her voice during the X-Factor. Awful bloody din she made then.

Once again, east beats west.

Okay … Nice to see the South Stand isn't actually getting blamed for a defeat which often happens so guess we are lucky we won yesterday.

My 2 pence worth for what its worth. Some may know and some may not know that I was a massive campaigner of us getting the whole end of the South Stand. Petition, opinions etc … Something had to be done. The SE Corner was epic in its day as we all know but it died and it died painfully and slow and change was needed. A club of our size did not need an empty stand behind the goal.

Bear in mind it took years to get the South Stand all Derby. Really wasn't a simple process and a certain EX CEO who was American liked to throw a few lies in there but there you go it was what it was at the time at Derby.

Pretty obvious what the South Stand was created for. Quite simply to get those like minded who wanted to stand occasionally ;-) and have a good old sing song to improve the atmosphere. The club agreed to a trial and unfortunately (looking back) this was for the Forest game and Brighton play off game. Now I don't need to tell you how good it was at them 2 games. However, it set the bar and that bar was at the top and was always going to be a push to recreate such an atmosphere say compared to when Reading or Brentford visited us.

Now I think its important to get one thing straight. We may think its bad at times but I genuinely believe we are in the top 3 or 4 in our league and certainly top 10 in the Premier league.

The biggest problem we have is the English fan culture at home. There is no pride lost when fans like Brentford come to us and outsing us. We simply look at them and do nothing. This isn't just us, its up and down the country.

Unfortunately majority of fans these days are too bothered about checking their bets on the mobile or see it as not fashionable to join in with a song because its 'cringe' and they don't like it. Perhaps harsh but look around. Young lads who should be pumping it out non stop and nothing.

However, I would say that come Derby day and the big games we all turn up and when the South Stand gets going its bloody good. It seems to have inspired the West Stand particularly but also the East Stand and that's good to see.

Lets not be too harsh. Lots of other issues are playing an impact such as no promotion and the feel of letdown every year. The expectation etc … Some of the best atmospheres at away games were under Clough. We just all expect to be 3 nil up at half time now and that plays its part in the stands.

Going forward. How can it improve? Safe Standing? Yes I believe so but only because it would clean sweep the stand which I think is needed.

What I don't get, aside from the culture issue, is why some are in there who don't want to sing and stand all game. Surely the North Stand would be a more suitable location considering the empty seats in there? Surely every Derby fan knows what the South Stand should and is all about?

Rambled on a little but in short I think the South Stand has been a good thing for Derby. We may criticise some games and its very easy to lose sight of the great atmospheres we have experienced because of it. Love seeing some of the videos when it gets going as I am sure you all do.

Lets keep the faith.

Bit of deja-vu here as the same topic & similar comments were being made after the Leeds match - common theme being extremely loud & passionate Yorkshire away crowd.

In general, home crowds tend to be much quieter than 20/30 years ago - the emphasis definitely seems to be on people being entertained & the experience rather than blind support for the team. The demographic changes at football (more families, average age increasing due to higher ticket prices) has also contributed to this by diluting the tribal nature of match-day.

That said, teams like Leeds/Sheff Utd/Newcastle/Sunderland are still as raucous as ever - Leeds are very impressive at home & work as a collective in the first 30 mins to drown out the away crowd. That should be the focus of the South Stand really & humming Dale Cavese will never come close to doing that.

5 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Unfortunately turned into another family stand ? The kids are the future of this club b4 ? Did you not go when you were younger ? If you would have seen my lads face yesterday when we scored after 19 seconds , that's what football all about . 

My first ever game was at bbg I remmber how loud it was.

I just feeling singers in the south stand to close togather.

I still feel we should sould move away fans to south west corner of the ground.

I think the problem with the South Stand is that the club made it the cheapest area of the stadium instead of promoting it as the singing section. This means that some fans are just in there because it’s the cheapest place and not because they want to sing and/or stand.

The South Stand should be promoted as a designated singing area and another part of the stadium should be the cheapest (eg the North Stand).

I’ve been to a lot of stadiums and I agree that home supporters don’t generally generate a lot of atmosphere. Generally the bigger the stadium, the worse the atmosphere is.

Everyone wants a good atmosphere, but not everyone is willing to help the atmosphere. 

10%, perhaps, try and create a good atmosphere. Yet, the 90% will complain the 10% aren't doing enough. I'd advise just testing your lungs out, someone near you will get involved and the more that get involved the louder it will be. 

Be the change you want to see in the world at Pride Park.
                                                                                         - Gandhi

I think this has been done to death.

Volume of music in the leadup to kick off is so loud in the South Stand that you often can't hear the person next to you. Any attempt at getting the atmosphere building is drowned out, and is quite demoralising. TURN IT DOWN.

Too many on phones.

Adam does a great job on the drum, but can sometimes be guilty of missing the rhythm of a chant that's already started. As soon as he starts another beat, it kills the momentum and it ends.

Not enough collective attitude - people only joining in when their "section" starts a song. Or when the East Stand asks the South for a song, refusing to do it.

Make North Stand Category E, South Stand Category D. Bring in Safe Standing. Turn down the music. Get the drum with the group starting songs so its always in time.

I enjoyed doing the flags, banners, cards, confetti, etc for a while, and still believe it made a difference in the lead up to kick off. However, just wasn't worth the hassle in the end from other so-called Derby fans. Too many people are willing to criticise, not enough are willing to try and make a difference. Fair play to the likes of Nick and Adam who have done and continue to try.

Its nothing to do with South stand, seating or not seated, drums or PA systems.

Partly its British culture, we don't do extrovert emotion unless you're in the Strictly or X factor audiences. So we only respond when something exciting happens.

Partly modern football is all about tactics and not much raw excitement. In some ways it's like watching a chess match. You wouldn't cheer half way through that.

When you can go whole halves and not have a shot, let alone on target, when the whole point of the game is scoring, what is there to get excited about. Sure you can enjoy the passing, occasional tackle, but the raw excitement is not there much. hence the volume of support is low.

Watched Everton yesterday, deadly quiet for the most part, so its not just us!

There’s a supporter charter meeting soon, the forums questions have already sent, but if there’s anything that needs asking pm me and I’ll do my best if there is any chance or time left on the night.

The music things been asked numerous times and was once agreed to be tried, I think for the Cardif game last season if I remember. We all know what happened to that original fixture don’t we?

All I see is excuses.

Music too loud before the game - what about during the game when the players need a lift ? The atmosphere is fine at KO and for 5 mins after

Sing and shout when watching good football- They're playing it right now

Modern day tactics - awful reasoning not to create atmosphere. I'm sure you mean parking the bus/negative tactics, we don't play that way anymore

The drums out of time with the song - Adam moved further down (away from the small singing section) to try and help get more of the crowd joining in. If they don't, the sounds not going to be great.

Archived