Sowter

Unpopular topic? - South Stand

I went over for the Brentford game with a Valencia fan and an Atlético Madrid fan. We went in the South stand for the atmosphere. They loved the atmosphere, loved the game and loved Derby the city. They are now confirmed Rams even though only as second team. One even watched the ManU game instead of Atlético! I look back on the Popside with terrific memories of two hours of constant singing, it was probably exactly the same as now. When the game lifts the crowd the crowd lifts the team. Sometimes the crowd try on their own. Football is a spectator sport where sometimes one needs the other before it reacts. Those who can get to the games enjoy them, good bad or indifferent, because those of us who can't get are jealous. At least I am.

21 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Home fans in general in England aren’t great barring a minority. Don’t think it’s  anything to do with Derby, it’s just how it is. Personally, I think we’re pretty good compared to the rest of the division 

This sums it up well.

Forums across the land for most teams will have a very similar thread. Bramall Lane is pretty poor when they are not a good team yet their fans yesterday were great.

As for the move to the South Stand, it is as poor now as the South-East corner was before we moved. 5 years or so of dire football under Clough did for that, like the fatigue of 10 years in the Championship has affected the South Stand.

There are probably also more people complaining on this forum about the PP atmosphere than are actually singing in the crowd. This suggests that many of those that are complaining aren't singing. There's a simple solution to that... 

I sit to the left of the goal in the SS and i genuinely think the atmosphere is poor. Hardly anyone sings and you can barely hear what the guys up the top are trying to get going. People moved to the SS because of cheaper seats rather than to help with atmosphere. I don't understand why you go to football to just sit and watch the game, for me the atmosphere makes it special

I was in my normal South Stand position yesterday, we made noise for the first 10 minutes as normal, then all goes quiet until we get back in front. The singing 'core' in the south stand always tend to go quiet, I've no idea why. Some near the SW corner always try to get a chant going as well. But it would be appreciated if the rest of the stadium would start something as well. 

I was watching MOTD last night and the atmosphere in the grounds is awful. Very little chanting from the likes of Chelsea and Man U. The promoted clubs seem to be only ones who chant

1 minute ago, rsmini said:

I was in my normal South Stand position yesterday, we made noise for the first 10 minutes as normal, then all goes quiet until we get back in front. The singing 'core' in the south stand always tend to go quiet, I've no idea why. Some near the SW corner always try to get a chant going as well. But it would be appreciated if the rest of the stadium would start something as well. 

I was watching MOTD last night and the atmosphere in the grounds is awful. Very little chanting from the likes of Chelsea and Man U. The promoted clubs seem to be only ones who chant

Season tickets cost between 3-600 quid (roughly). Creating an atmosphere costs nothing. 

When i was kid, I remember the reason I fell in love with derby was because the atmosphere was so loud, i just thought it was amazing and couldn't wait to go back. I cant imagine i'd have the same feeling going as a kid now, unless my first game was against Forest

Yesterday at the match I thought we weren't singing so much but having just watched the match back on Sky I have changed my mind somewhat.

I just think the Sheffield fans were so loud we couldn't always hear our own fans - at least from where I was sitting in the North Stand. 

Someone mentioned taking away the drum but we can hear that, so please don't.  Get another, preferably someone who can add to the rhythm. 

I had this argument with a guy on twitter this morning (probably the same guy who started this thread) . 

1) It's not just up to the south stand to create an atmosphere 

2) The atmosphere was good yesterday 

3) We have a lot better home atmosphere than many grounds in the Championship 

4) If your that concerned @Sowter do something about it ! 

I can find a lot more problems with other grounds and their general football atmosphere. Not having traditional 3pm kick offs do not help, Sky is another key factor in this. You very really walk into a new built ground now with a rocking atmosphere. Also Derby was coming into this match on the bounce of a loss and two miserable draws do you blame the fans sometimes for not singing a full 90? Paying £20-£30 a ticket and nearly £5 a pint?? 

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Season tickets cost between 3-600 quid (roughly). Creating an atmosphere costs nothing. 

Quite right atmosphere costs nothing but other stands can get more involved. I don’t think I mentioned the price of a season ticket

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

When i was kid, I remember the reason I fell in love with derby was because the atmosphere was so loud, i just thought it was amazing and couldn't wait to go back. I cant imagine i'd have the same feeling going as a kid now, unless my first game was against Forest

I was a kid in the early 70’s and the BBG was very often rocking especially on the European nights 

2 minutes ago, rsmini said:

Quite right atmosphere costs nothing but other stands can get more involved. I don’t think I mentioned the price of a season ticket

You didn't. I did. I was pointing out the fact that we pay all that money to watch them, why not create an atmosphere that the players can get a buzz of and that we can come on here and say 'How amazing was the atmosphere yesterday'.