Jack Marriott

David

40 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Interesting how we see things through different lenses (well in my case).  I thought Lawrence was fairly unselfish last night. On a number of occasions around their box, he squared it or put in some dangerous balls.  If he played Marriott in the first 60 mins and then brought Waghorn on, we might have seen a more positive result.

I do feel sometimes people make their mind up on players and then that’s all they see.  I certainly wouldn’t say Lawrence was selfish last night, and generally through this season that side of his game has improved. Sometimes he will go it alone, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Interesting how we see things through different lenses (well in my case).  I thought Lawrence was fairly unselfish last night. On a number of occasions around their box, he squared it or put in some dangerous balls.  If he played Marriott in the first 60 mins and then brought Waghorn on, we might have seen a more positive result.

Lawrence was better last night, but there are still occasions where he tries to go that one extra and ends up losing the ball when a pass would be the better option.

I agree last night, both Lawrence and Wilson tried the shot when a pass might have been better.

However I am also of the mindset that on occasions, a few would rather pass than take the easy option of a shot (confidence maybe).

It is all about perspective and making the right decisions at the right time.

26 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I do think it was a mistake letting Jerome go as he hit a nice patch of form for us that actually without his goals we wouldn't have made the playoffs last year. He is a solid championship striker and gives you strength and pace in abundance. 

Whilst i agree with your general point about missing an orthodox centre forward, it certainly isn't cameron jerome. He was poor. The story about his supposed pace was pure Rowett-balls. He barely moved. Only one notch away from being another Leon Best. 

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Whilst i agree with your general point about missing an orthodox centre forward, it certainly isn't cameron jerome. He was poor. The story about his supposed pace was pure Rowett-balls. He barely moved. Only one notch away from being another Leon Best. 

pretty harsh considering his goal record at this level don't you think? He's by no means a world beater but he did have a lot pace. Take a look at the goal he scored against Barnsley last game of the season for a recap 

1 hour ago, 'Rambe33 said:

pretty harsh considering his goal record at this level don't you think? He's by no means a world beater but he did have a lot pace. Take a look at the goal he scored against Barnsley last game of the season for a recap 

He would probably have been a decent fit into this team which is neither set up for Marriott's or waghorn style as it stands....

I was never a real fan of his to be honest,I would prefer it if we did the 433 properly but a powerful quick player who can head the ball would have worked at the moment.

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Next season will be lonely for him then!

A better way of wording would be that Marriott has missed having a player capable of producing a through ball.

Holmes is our next closest in terms of ability but he doesn't try that often. Everyone else's attempted through balls are just good simple passes to opposition defenders.

I think we're lucky that Marriott had a decent spell of goals earlier in the season, so we know what he can do (people were raving that he was the new Bobby Davison before Xmas!)

If he'd had this spell back then I suspect a lot of fans would be pretty unforgiving

Just goes to show that most strikers are only as good as the team around them. Look at the Wardrobe for example. 20 goals a season for us when we set ourselves up to play his way. Nary a sniff everywhere he's been on loan since

1 hour ago, 'Rambe33 said:

hushed pop tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Resist the urge rynny... 

We discussed it last night.

One of my lads went,”We’ve broken Jack Marriott”?

I’d agree with G Star that he’s out of form but I would hope that’s just down to a knock/fitness.

What I do like is that I don’t think FL would hesitate to put JML on instead because he certainly looked sharper albeit for 10 minutes.

Marriott coming back to full fitness/form for the run in is massive.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’d agree with G Star that he’s out of form but I would hope that’s just down to a knock/fitness.

What I do like is that I don’t think FL would hesitate to put JML on instead because he certainly looked sharper albeit for 10 minutes.

Different positions - Mitchell-Lawson is a winger

Injuries have affected him no doubt, that coupled with our midfield not functioning in recent weeks, he’s often isolated and doesn’t have the strength of Waghorn to be target man when needed.

cant ignore his form earlier in the season. Class player, so much more to his game than just goals!!

10 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Was there any indication what the illness was that Marriott had if it was something along the line of glandular fever it takes a long time to fully recover

He flourished at Peterborough because he had Marcus Maddison setting him up time and time again. We need to start creating things for him and giving him better service, because I don't see his recent dip in form really being anything to do with his own game.

Fingers crossed Mount will be able to do this because we don't look very creative at the minute. Even Huddlestone is struggling. 

Archived