Jack Marriott

David

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Massive Martin Fanboy here, but Martin would fit our system for the last 20 minutes in games where we need to relieve pressure and hold on to our lead.

He would still be the best at it, but it would be a waste of a very good footballer to be useful for 20 minutes one game in four, and better for us than him.

Might still a better use than playing him as a left winger...

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, northantsram said:

Also tells us hes on about  17-18k a week ...   not a bad wage at all ! 

Not a bad whack compared to what the likes of us pull in, maybe, but not a huge salary by any means compared to Jerome, Chrissie Martin, Butters etc. etc. I'd go so far as to say it's something of a bargain on his current form but then it's dead easy being smart after the event. When he was first scouted, I thought he looked decent but nothing wildly special. Even more so for Waggers, a signing I was not madly keen on. Seems the boy's a fookin machine and once again I've egg on my mush. Very happy to be wrong though! Hopefully as Waggers settles in as a first team starter, he too can start to bang them in regularly as he has a wand of a left foot and more quality than I'd expected.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Also shows the guy is a complete plank, by discussing someone else's salary on social media. 

Darragh is all about Darragh. Saw him interviewed, presumably by his own PR guy and the camera was framed only on Darragh - couldn't even see who he was talking to. Asked about Marriott and Maddison and his response was basically never-ending monologue telling everyone how he'd brought them to the club, not a word of credit for his scouting and recruitment team! Every season he tries to conduct all his transfer business via Twatter when many clubs (including us now) prefer a rather less attention-seeking platform and one that doesn't so shamelessly attempt to create an bidding war whilst having exactly the opposite effect by merely pisiing off potential buyers. Hopelessly outmaneuvered where Marriott was concerned and was also obviously expecting us to take Maddison. He seemed to expect about £15 mill upfront for the pair (something he later strenuously denied), never unloaded the latter and got only £3 mill for Jack. Serves the muppet right. Certain he could have got considerably more had the clubs looking at Jack known that he would not simply tout their offers to the whole world and his brother. Anyway, sorry chaps! Bit off topic there! 

48 minutes ago, mozza said:

In fairness to Bris he only asked the question,  i think Jack has answered in bucketloads. 

In fairness to the rest of the forum, what was a widespread response was really to make clear that it was a question he had no business asking, given Jack had played less than 180 minutes of football when it was posed. It was nearly as ridiculously premature as the August post questioning whether our season was already over. I seem to recall that Bris also suggested that, in his opinion, Jack did not suit Frank's style of play, another opinion that currently seems miles wide of the mark. If you are going to make comments such as, 'that's because I know more about football than all of you lot' and suggest to the forum that he should be taken seriously as a potential Director of Football for Derby County, it certainly helps to know the time of day. Bris' posts make it unequivocally obvious that he doesn't ?

9 hours ago, ramjit said:

Were has bris gone... he ain’t been spouting off his drivel for weeks I wonder why..come on bris sing us a song fella u no u want to 

I get the impression that @Bris Vegasmight be serving a “moderator’s sentence” given something Rynny posted a week ago.  He can post some drivel at times, mainly to provoke reactions, but he isn’t normally slow to fight his corner.  I look forward to his return in due course.  Lovely to see @Ninosback this weekend too.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I get the impression that @Bris Vegasmight be serving a “moderator’s sentence” given something Rynny posted a week ago.  He can post some drivel at times, mainly to provoke reactions, but he isn’t normally slow to fight his corner.  I look forward to his return in due course.  Lovely to see @Ninosback this weekend too.

Think he's just stepped into the shadows until the dust settles to be honest. He may not be 'slow to fight his corner' but even he can't spiel the 'Is Jack a stud' and 'Is Our Season is Over' BS into anything credible . I think the last straw was someone posting one of his 'contributions' to HITC where not only is he singing Jack's praises, but shamelessly mugging posts from this site, notably a couple comparing Jack to Bobby Davidson. That's majorly embarrassing and, I suspect, most likely the real reason he's gone missing. Hilariously, he's fully on the Jack bandwagon now, based on his latest output, but I wouldn't expect him to admit as much on here anytime soon. 

5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Think he's just stepped into the shadows until the dust settles to be honest. He may not be 'slow to fight his corner' but even he can't spiel the 'Is Jack a stud' and 'Is Our Season is Over' BS into anything credible . I think the last straw was someone posting one of his 'contributions' to HITC where not only is he singing Jack's praises, but shamelessly mugging posts from this site, notably a couple comparing Jack to Bobby Davidson. That's majorly embarrassing and, I suspect, most likely the real reason he's gone missing. Hilariously, he's fully on the Jack bandwagon now, based on his latest output, but I wouldn't expect him to admit as much on here anytime soon. 

Perhaps your bang on with the idea he is getting his articles by lifting them from sites like this 

10 hours ago, 86 points said:

In fairness to the rest of the forum, what was a widespread response was really to make clear that it was a question he had no business asking, given Jack had played less than 180 minutes of football when it was posed. It was nearly as ridiculously premature as the August post questioning whether our season was already over. I seem to recall that Bris also suggested that, in his opinion, Jack did not suit Frank's style of play, another opinion that currently seems miles wide of the mark. If you are going to make comments such as, 'that's because I know more about football than all of you lot' and suggest to the forum that he should be taken seriously as a potential Director of Football for Derby County, it certainly helps to know the time of day. Bris' posts make it unequivocally obvious that he doesn't ?

I don't think that he does. Or at least our style doesn't fully suit Marriott. The thing is though, Marriott is a superb player, so even being played in a role which isn't naturally his own, he's shining, and that ability is making  DCFC look good. If we had more of a target man in that position, but one with Marriott's quality, we'd be doing even better. If we played with two strikers instead of one, Marriott would be doing even better.

11 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I don't think that he does. Or at least our style doesn't fully suit Marriott. The thing is though, Marriott is a superb player, so even being played in a role which isn't naturally his own, he's shining, and that ability is making  DCFC look good. If we had more of a target man in that position, but one with Marriott's quality, we'd be doing even better. If we played with two strikers instead of one, Marriott would be doing even better.

I don't think there are many forwards anywhere who play worse in a 2 than alone... Having extra support up there is always useful

I also think Marriott suits this style of play perfectly - The second half on Saturday proved that for me - He was involved in everything - First goal ball played in to his feet, he used strength to hold off the CB, spun on it to play the pass which led to the goal - Second ran in behind the defender showed willing to chase into the corner after a 'hopeless' ball - And the final goal he beat the offside trap wonderfully, lost both markers and then (best of the lot for me) speculated on a near post shot

He's quick, skillful, good on and off the ball, sharp, smart and a natural goalscorer - He'd fit in almost any team - But I think his quick feet and quick reactions are what make him a perfect addition to Lampard's way of playing

9 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

For the sake of clarity, I've highlighted the bits of your post that confuse me.

Archived